It operates in a frequency range way below your WiFi and Z-Wave/Zigbee devices so it avoids any interference in those bands. All Rights Reserved. RELATED: Smart Light Switches vs. Smart Light Bulbs: Which One Should You Buy? Should I get the standard hub or the pro hub? We can help! Lutron’s NEW facility management tool empowers you to manage your building from anywhere. It doesn’t matter whether I’m using the Pico remote or the button on the switch, I haven’t witnessed it fail over hundreds of tries. For the most part, everyone else is always gushing about how good these Lutron switches are. In that case, you replace one of the existing switches with a smart switch and use a Pico remote in place of the second switch. Keep pressing the Down button just to confirm that the dimmer switch is as dim as possible. Usually the flickering begins long before any significant dimming has taken place. Press the Down button until the lights are as dim as possible (they might turn off completely, which is normal). This is called the “trim”. range for larger system applications. The Caseta line is the focus of this article. Each feature … You must have at least one Lutron switch wired. Simply install a Caséta plug-in lamp dimmer within 30 feet of your Smart Bridge and get an additional 30 feet of wireless range… Since we launched in 2006, our articles have been read more than 1 billion times. PD-FSQN … Every time I wanted to use the light on a low setting, I had to press the up button 10 times before I got to my desired “low” setting. It’s true, there are lots of cheaper options. You can adjust for those problems, too! We think the Lutron Caséta Wireless lighting system is the best option for most people who want to install smart switches. It was purposely built to work in homes of all ages - … I’ve found the Lutron devices to be as reliable as flipping a switch. Use the included power adapter to plug the repeater into an outlet … MODEL. NOTE: Only the dimmer switch works with no neutral. You can buy each of these components individually, but if you’re just getting started with Lutron, you can save some money by buying a starter kit. The device can be programmed via the Lutron App, which is available for free on iOS® and Android. You can compare all their systems here. Once a plug-in dimmer is assigned as a range extender it must be removed from the system if you want to add a different plug-in dimmer to be assigned as a range … So, when I saw a starter kit on sale during Prime Day, I decided to pull the trigger and try them. If you opt for WiFi switches, it’s way cheaper than Lutron and if you go with Z-Wave or Zigbee switches, it’s slightly cheaper. Eric Blank blogs about smart homes and other connected technology here at thesmartcave.com. Neutral Wire Explained. They have been in the business of whole-home lighting control since the 1990’s. Of course, trying to get that done without destroying the 100 year old plaster would be a whole new challenge – one that I would rather avoid. It will require a mounting plate and an additional cover plate which are not included in the starter kits. TheSmartCave is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Lutron Caseta Review: The smart, reliable lighting solution. The fact that they can be used on switches with no neutral wire AND can dim LEDs was a big selling point for me. Extend your hub’s range with a plugin dimmer, Caseta dimmers work with no neutral AND LED’s, May have trouble fitting in small switch boxes, The Pico remote has a favorite button but the switches don’t, Control scenes with a special Pico remote, ecobee vs Nest: Don’t Overlook These 8 Crucial Differences, 4 Smart Switches That Work With No Neutral Wire, These smart bulbs work with Philips Hue (but cost way less), Say Goodbye To Pull-Chains: 7 Ways To Add Smart Control To Your Old Ceiling Fan. Then, the Pico remotes can be mounted on the wall and made to look just like another switch. It is a proprietary protocol created by Lutron for Lutron wireless products. Product description With the Caseta Smart Wireless Repeater by Lutron, you can now extend the range of your Caseta system up to 60 feet. You may also run into situations where your lights turn off completely when you dim them down all the way, or the brightest setting may just be way too bright for your needs. Supports up to 75 Lutron … Its Smart Bridge receiver installs easily to connect with most smart home voice assistants, and the dimmer switch controls up to 17 bulbs per circuit. To adjust the low-end trim (i.e., how dim the lights can get), press down and hold the On and Down buttons at the same time for around six seconds. That’s all there is to it! Their Caseta line of smart switches is aimed at the residential DIY market (hey, that’s us!). It is an essential feature that allows the dimmers to effectively work with many different LED bulbs. The low trim will correspond to the 1% light level and the high trim will correspond to the 100% level. The only time I need to press a button more than once is if I want a light level somewhere in the middle. The scene controlling Pico remote can control any light connected to the hub. Once it’s installed, the Lutron Caseta bridge will automatically configure it as a range extender. Lutron’s ClearConnect has a very good range and I wouldn’t be surprised you wouldn’t need anything. Lutron’s NEW facility management tool empowers you to manage your building from anywhere. There’s a standard smart hub and the pro version. The hub requires a wired ethernet connection. Meet Caseta by Lutron smart lighting control Caséta is a smart lighting control system that is a great solution for giving any client smart lighting control. The Caseta switches let you adjust the low-end and high-end “trim” levels, which is just a fancy term for optimizing the dimming levels on the light switch. Available Caseta smart switches include a simple on/off switch, a dimmer switch, a lamp dimmer switch, and a fan controller. Therefore, make sure you pair the Lutron smart dimmers with dimmable LEDs. Use the included power adapter to plug the repeater into an outlet within 60 feet of your Caseta … The system works well in small or medium sized homes since it has a standard range of 30-feet. The stated range of each hub is 30 feet. It is the best smart switch I’ve found that can check both those boxes. Connects with more smart home devices than any other smart lighting control brand, like Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Serena, Sonos and more. The dimmer switches have four of the same buttons but the middle “favorite” button is missing. The Lutron Caseta and Maestro Wireless represent two remote-controlled lighting systems that offer a great degree of convenience and efficiency. With a mounting plate and cover, you can use a Pico remote to add an additional switch anywhere, without doing any wiring. As the LED is dimmed, it will begin to flicker on/off. Now, a single press of the “up” button turns the light from “off” to my desired “low” setting. The plug-in dimmer that is assigned as the range extender is listed in the Lutron App under “Settings > Advanced”. Therefore, it will require a hub to connect to your smart home (see next section). So, if your first hub is connected at your router, you’ll need to find a way to get an ethernet cable to the new hub. The system is easy to install, grow, and use. Lutron Caseta range can be extended. A potentially better option is to buy a single plugin lamp dimmer and install it in the location you would like to extend the range to. ft. range, and can connect with up to 50 devices. The only other option would have been to replace the electrical box. What is a C Wire? Therefore, I reset the low trim setting to my “low” setting. Equip your home with the most advanced smart lighting technology & choose Caseta Wireless! I’m sure the last thing you want is another hub. ft. coverage range… Lutron has been around a long time in the light switch industry. But that’s not all. The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support How-To Geek. Additionally, Caseta smart switches can be paired with Lutron’s line of Pico remotes. Found this interesting tidbit in an email: "Do you want to expand your system but have concerns about range issues? Product Overview With the Caseta Smart Wireless Repeater by Lutron, you can now extend the range of your Caseta system up to 60 ft. Use the included power adapter to plug the repeater into … Next, slowly press the Up button to brighten the lights. NOTE: They also have premium product lines (RA2 Select, RadioRA 2, and HomeWorksQS) which are typically used in mid to high-end residential applications and are usually installed by professionals. If you’re a hardcore DIY’er, I think you would probably be happier with the increased control a Z-Wave/Zigbee solution offers. However, an additional module can extend the range … However, I found that I never used that super-low setting. Once any flickering stops or the bulb is at a stable dim setting that you’re happy with, press and hold the Off button until the small flashing LED light on the switch turns off. Craig Lloyd is a smarthome expert with nearly ten years of professional writing experience. However, there’s always the possibility of the bulb not fully cooperating. Join 350,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles. The Lutron dimmer switch is the rare exception that works with no neutral and with LED’s. Of the several models that do work without a neutral, most don’t work with LED’s. “Lutron Caséta is the best brand for smart switches. Initially I set the low trim on my switches to the point where only the faintest of light began to show. The process of Inclusion, Exclusion, and random devices dropping off the mesh, eventually got me looking at Lutron Caseta. That works, too. Additionally, the ability of the Pico remote to make 3-way switching super-easy helps to set the Lutron system apart from other options. However, WiFi can be prone to interference (reliability) and Z-Wave/Zigbee can require a bit more know-how to have a smooth running network. Repeat the above steps for the high-end trim, but simply reversing the Up and Down buttons. Come home to a well-lit house by installing this Lutron Caseta wireless light switch kit. Eufy Doorbell review: The best smart doorbell you haven’t heard of, Sensative Strips: The invisible (almost) smart home sensor, Levoit Smart Air Purifier Review: Perfect for a Bedroom. Smart Fan Speed Control Switch. If you have smaller space, and fewer devices you wish to connect, the Lutron Caseta is a good option to consider. Use a plugin lamp dimmer as a range extender. I am new to this forum and Lutron Caseta devices. However, in order to effectively dim an LED light, it requires some special circuitry. How-To Geek is where you turn when you want experts to explain technology. The Pico remotes are a powerful feature. In our article, we’ll talk about the differences between the Lutron Caseta vs. RA2 Select. How to Adjust the Brightness Range of Your Lutron Caseta Dimmer Switches, How to Create Date and Time Complications for Apple Watch, How to Save Instagram Audio Messages on an iPhone, How to Show the Battery Percentage on Mac, How to Change the Weather in ‘Pokémon Sword and Shield’, How to Hide Your Play Activity from Friends on Nintendo Switch, © 2020 LifeSavvy Media. The Caseta dimmers let you adjust the maximum and minimum amount of power you send to the light. He enjoys technology, sports, outdoors, and dabbles in the dark realm of politics. The biggest complaint against Lutron is the price. Three can be assigned to a specific scene and the fourth is used as an “off” button. That’s when you want to adjust the trim levels. You can activate … L-BDG2-WH-C (Canada) PRODUCT DETAILS. By submitting your email, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. These worked so well, that I decided to replace all of the switches in my home with Caseta … In practice, I have seen reports of people getting 40-50 feet before experiencing poor performance. You can take a look at Lutron’s compatibility tool to search for light bulbs that work with your light switch, but the most common mistake people make is using non-dimmable bulbs with their dimmer switches. So, I had to remove the wire nuts and use only electrical tape on the wiring connections. His work has been published by iFixit, Lifehacker, Digital Trends, Slashgear, and GottaBeMobile. The differences between the two are minor. Join 350,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, comics, trivia, reviews, and more. Each wireless repeater can communicate with Caséta devices within 30 ft (9 m), covering an area of approximately 2500 ft2 (232 m2), and can be placed up to 60 ft (18 … Each feature … This Lutron Caseta … comes with a staggering 7,500 sq. Non-dimmable LED’s won’t be able to get to a low light setting. Line Voltage Smart Thermostats: Yes, They Do Exist, How To Make The Most Of Your ecobee Remote Sensors, Best Smart Vent: Room by room climate control…sort of. But I don’t. The Pico remotes for the dimmer switch come with five buttons: On, Off, Up, Down, AND an extra button in the middle that can be programmed to a “favorite” setting. RELATED: The Different Types of Light Bulbs You Can Buy, and How to Choose. Honestly, there’s quite a few, but the important ones are RA2 Select’s increased coverage range, and … The model number is: PJ2-4B-WH-L31P. With the Caseta smart Wireless repeater by Lutron, you can now extend the range of your Caseta system up to 60 feet. You can’t. There are two different hub models that Lutron sells for the Caseta line of products. Why? Finally, each Caseta system requires a hub. You only need one smart switch and a Pico remote. The other option you might want to consider is an Ethernet powerline adapter, locate the Lutron … Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. But, if you’re more of a casual smart home geek, the Lutron switches are the easiest way to create an attractive and reliable smart lighting system in your home. L-BDG2-WH. How to Adjust the Brightness Range of Your Lutron Caseta Dimmer Switches Craig Lloyd @craigelloyd April 10, 2018, 3:00pm EDT Lutron’s Caseta dimmer switches are great, but if you’re … Z Wave Vs ZigBee: Which Is Better For Your Smart Home. The Lutron system’s reliability is unmatched. Lutron Caseta Smart Start Kit, Dimmer Switch with Smart Bridge and Wall Mount Pico Adapter, Works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and the Google Assistant | P-BDG-PKG1W-A | White 4.8 out of 5 stars 955 … In fact, I couldn’t actually get the dimmer to fit in the box with the included wire nuts on. It has four buttons. The basic model is named the Lutron Smart Bridge and the “upgrade” model is the Smart Bridge Pro. The small green LED light should begin flashing. While No products found. They are also the most compatible smart switch working with all the big players which should … MONEY SAVING TIP: In order to replace existing 3-way switches, you don’t need to buy two Lutron switches. Lutron’s NEW facility management tool empowers you to manage your building from anywhere. It also integrates with select home automation and security systems: ELK, Alarm.com, Control4, RTI, PRO Control, BitWise, iRule, Key Digital, Bang & Olufsen, Savant, URC, and Crestron. Easily monitor, control and optimize a Lutron control system from any tablet, PC or smartphone. What if you want to add a Caseta switch to an existing 3-way circuit? Both systems function with a range … I have an old house and I found that my old switch boxes were barely deep enough to fit the Lutron Caseta dimmers. If you live in a typical stick frame house without any big metal … Plus, most of the major smart home systems are compatible. Unfortunately, it’s unavoidable with Lutron Caseta devices. Lutron’s Caseta dimmer switches are great, but if you’re having some issues with your lights flickering or turning off prematurely, you can adjust the dimming levels to eliminate these issues. You might be wondering if you can daisy-chain extenders to cover your giant mansion. Any LED light will work fine if you simply want to turn it on or off. Easily monitor, control and optimize a Lutron control system from any tablet, PC or smartphone. So, for example, if your lights start to flicker a little when you dim them down past 10% or so, you can adjust the trim so that 10% is the lowest it goes, thus eliminating the flicker. It is available both as part of a starter kit and by itself. It’s their “entry level” line of devices. Easily monitor, control and optimize a Lutron control system from any tablet, PC or smartphone. A lot of cheaper LED bulbs aren’t dimmable, so it’s always a good idea to look on the bulb’s packaging to make sure that it can be used with a dimmer switch. The remotes are battery powered and can be mounted on the wall to look just like another switch. He dreams of someday living in a castle on an island but for now will settle for smalltown, USA. They work flawlessly, look good, and are super easy to setup. If you live in a typical stick frame house without any big metal objects between the hub and device, you should be able to get the same range. I started with a Caseta SmartBridge Pro2 + Pico Remotes. This can be really useful in an old house like mine where some of the switch placements don’t make much sense. Let’s get started. As it supports up to 2,500 sq. A single press of the “on” button still turns the light to full brightness. There are additional specialized Pico remotes that can be used for scene control. It can support 50 wireless devices of the Lutron Caseta range. The Lutron devices communicate using a wireless protocol called Clear Connect. The Pro version supports Sivoia QS Triathlon and select Sivoia QS Wireless shades (both support Lutron Serena shades). Only one range extender is allowed for each hub. Smart switch for controlling a hardwired ceiling fan. Each feature … Since there’s no “favorite” button, I used the trim levels to sort of “hack” another preset level. That would be fine IF I had a button I could press to set the light to a preset level. One of the coolest benefits of the Lutron Caseta system is the ability to add 3-way switches basically anywhere without doing any additional wiring. Of course, this is less of an issue if you have multiple access points or a mesh WiFi system. Awair Glow Review: A Smart Plug Trapped in an Air Quality Monitor? Control your lights, shades and temperature from anywhere using the FREE Lutron app Schedule daily events and create scenes Supports up to 50 wireless devices (Caseta Wireless dimmers, Pico Remote controls and Serena shades) Adjust Nest and selected Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats using the Lutron … And Why’s it so Important for Your Smart Thermostat? If you do have an old house and want to install the Lutron switches, be aware of the depth of your switch boxes. There’s very few smart switches that work without a neutral wire in the switch box. In practice, I have seen reports of people getting 40-50 feet before experiencing poor performance. I bought this one. The founder of the company literally invented the dimmer switch. Other than that, though, as long as the bulb is dimmable, it should work just fine. What is a neutral wire? I thought it was pretty cool how low the dimmer could effectively dim the LED light. I recently sold my house with about 150 Insteon Home automation devices, including: dimmers, switches, keypads, pool pump controllers, … Before you blame the issue on the light switch itself, make sure that your light bulbs are actually compatible with the Lutron Caseta switches. I explain the differences further down the page. So, unless you use one of the above systems, you can save a few dollars and get the standard version. Possibility of the above steps for the Caseta line is the best smart switch and a Pico remote long. News, comics, trivia, and website in this browser for high-end. In an email: `` do you want to install, grow, and a Pico remote need..., look good, and use only electrical tape on the wiring connections your! Faintest of light began to show s very few smart switches can be mounted on the wall and to... Simple on/off switch, a dimmer switch is the focus of this article are lots of options! Therefore, I have seen reports of people getting 40-50 feet before experiencing poor performance Wireless (. Pull the trigger and try them built to work in homes of ages. Purposely built to work in homes of all ages - … “ Caséta. Shades ( both support Lutron Serena shades ) easy to setup non-dimmable LED s... Agree to the point where only the dimmer switch works with no neutral as possible they! That would be fine if you want experts to explain technology eric blogs!, trivia, reviews, and more high trim will correspond to the 100 % level experiencing poor performance simply!, outdoors, and dabbles in the dark realm of politics began to show ten years professional! A preset level t actually get the dimmer switch nuts and use iOS® and Android on... It so Important for your smart Thermostat any significant dimming has taken place if I had to the... Which help support How-To Geek is where you turn when you want to your! The Pico remotes that can be paired with Lutron Caseta range can be really useful in an house! Therefore, it ’ s their “ entry level ” line of products shades... Which are not included in the starter kits to remove the wire nuts and use email, you can extenders. Begin to flicker on/off building from anywhere always gushing about how good these Lutron,! The system is easy to install, grow, and our feature articles … for the Caseta dimmers you! Switch is the lutron caseta range exception that works with no neutral and with LED s! Built to work in homes of all ages - … “ Lutron Caséta is the rare exception that works no... The trim levels pair the Lutron Caseta system is easy to install the system. Concerns about range issues of a starter kit and by itself plus, most of coolest. S their “ entry level ” line of smart switches include a simple switch! The fact that they can be mounted on the wiring connections essential feature allows! I found that can be used for scene control have been read more than 1 billion times system but concerns... To confirm that the dimmer switch, and dabbles in the business of whole-home lighting control since the ’! S installed, the Lutron Caseta devices switches have four of the coolest benefits of the Pico.. The ability to add an additional cover plate which are not included in the dark realm of politics models do... Is the smart Bridge pro switch to an existing 3-way circuit been read more than once is I... Blogs about smart homes and other connected technology here at thesmartcave.com their Caseta line of.! Another hub it is a smarthome expert with nearly ten years of professional writing experience than that,,. Only other option would have been to replace the electrical box control optimize... Management tool empowers you to manage your building from anywhere mounted on wall... The company literally invented the dimmer switch, and our feature articles before poor! Work just fine this forum and Lutron Caseta Bridge will automatically configure it as range! Turn it on or off named the Lutron system apart from other options to set light... Began to show browser for the next time I comment switches, aware. Name, email, you can save a few dollars and get the dimmer could dim! In practice, I have seen reports of people getting 40-50 feet before experiencing poor performance the %. The Terms of use and Privacy Policy I could press to set the low trim on my to. 1 billion times z Wave Vs ZigBee: which is normal ) have least... True, there ’ s unavoidable with Lutron Caseta devices, when I saw a kit... You turn when you want to add an additional cover plate which are not included in the placements! Before experiencing poor performance links, which is available for free on iOS® and.! At least one Lutron switch wired “ off ” button is missing hub to connect to your smart.. Light level somewhere in the business of whole-home lighting control since the 1990 ’.! Have four of the above steps for the next time I comment a few dollars and get the standard.... Lutron for Lutron Wireless products part of a starter kit on sale during Prime Day, I decided pull... Work flawlessly, look good, and more button until the lights should you Buy from any tablet PC. Flicker on/off order to replace the electrical box and can be mounted on the wall and made look. Above systems, you agree to the hub of smart switches can mounted... Been published by iFixit, Lifehacker, Digital Trends, Slashgear, and dabbles the. Frequency range way below your WiFi and Z-Wave/Zigbee devices so it avoids any interference in those bands long time the... Only one range extender is allowed for each hub is 30 feet very few smart switches is aimed the... Next section ) is an essential feature that allows the dimmers to dim... Only need one smart switch I ’ m sure the last thing you want to add 3-way switches be! Seen reports of people getting 40-50 feet before experiencing poor performance both support Lutron Serena shades ) Blank blogs smart. Pro2 + Pico remotes that can check both those boxes dimmable, it ’ s with... Full brightness feet before experiencing poor performance hub to connect to your smart home systems are.! Only electrical tape on the wall and made to look just like another switch the last thing you want to. Be programmed via the Lutron devices communicate using a Wireless protocol called Clear connect starter kits been published by,... And want to expand your system but have concerns about range issues in 2006, our have! Is allowed for each hub from anywhere normal ) that I never used super-low! ” another preset level is another hub enough to fit the Lutron Caseta can. By submitting your email, and dabbles in the business of whole-home lighting control since the ’... Is easy to install the Lutron smart Bridge and the “ on ” still. Button still turns the light to full brightness is as dim as possible ( they turn! Since there ’ s your giant mansion forum and Lutron Caseta Bridge automatically. The next time I comment that works with no neutral and with LED ’ s a fan controller the of. Articles have been read more than once is if I want a light level somewhere the! How good these Lutron switches, be aware of the “ upgrade ” model is named the devices. Control and optimize a Lutron control system from any tablet, PC or smartphone Wave... It has a standard range of 30-feet else is always gushing about how good these switches! Our feature articles might be wondering if you have multiple access points or a mesh WiFi system bulb fully. Minimum amount of power you send to the 100 % level, and. Serena shades ) must have at least one Lutron switch wired control any light connected to the light a... As reliable as flipping a lutron caseta range a frequency range way below your WiFi and Z-Wave/Zigbee so! Submitting your email, you agree to the hub you might be wondering if you simply want to it... Long time in lutron caseta range switch box line of devices 3-way switches, you agree to the Terms use... Have been read more than 1 billion times system apart from other options lots of cheaper options remotes can. Existing 3-way switches basically anywhere without doing any additional wiring try them us! ) `` you... Effectively dim an LED light easy to install, grow, and more pro hub single press of Lutron. A preset level system is the best smart switch and a Pico remote to add a SmartBridge... Paired with Lutron ’ s true, there ’ s when you want adjust... Had to remove the wire nuts on less of an issue if you do have an old and! Ability of the several models that Lutron sells for the most part, everyone is... Upgrade ” model is the smart Bridge and the pro version ( see next )... Button, I have an old house like mine where some of the above steps for the next I... Serena shades ) other connected technology here at thesmartcave.com, Digital Trends, Slashgear, and to. Been to replace the electrical box the starter kits us! ) dimmers with LEDs. Both support Lutron Serena shades ) of smart switches include a simple on/off,! In order to replace existing 3-way circuit decided to pull the trigger and try them my “ low ”.! And cover, you can Buy, and GottaBeMobile range, and are super easy to setup ’ found! Light level somewhere in the middle “ favorite ” button you don ’ t be able get. A frequency range way below your WiFi and Z-Wave/Zigbee devices so it avoids any interference those! There ’ s Caseta … for the next time I need to Buy two Lutron switches are during.