To make a battery compatible with an AC device, you need to convert one form of power to another, which is precisely what your inverter does. Getting a good battery like this one on amazon is thus critical. I'm currently travelling Aus and I just took the century marine battery out of my boat. To be able to supply 500 Watt equipment from 12 Volt deep cycle battery, you will need a battery bank with total capacity of 833.40AH (or 8 x … Your refrigerator will run for 8 – 10 hours with the batteries on. NOTE: These times assume you discharge the deep-cycle battery 70% (30% of total charge remaining), and they assume that your battery has 100% of its' listed capacity. A refrigerator too can be powered using a 12 V dc battery. This fridge can operate over a period of 133 hours, or 5.5 days if the guidelines** are meet. 10 Votes) A decent fridge around that size under 30 degrees ambient temperature shouldn't use more than around 30 - 40 amp hours a day. Among other appliances a TV would take less than 100 watts. Furthermore, it should be a deep cycle one, and can operate based on the run-time expectations, with the engine turned off. Typically, refrigerators operate about 1/3 of the time (1/3 "duty cycle"), or 8 hours a day. Normal deep cycle batteries have a cycle life of about 1500 times, when you only use 30% of their capacity. Will deeply-discharging a battery in an application like this ruin the battery? Using the inverter calculator, indicates ~14.35 Amps DC load and then running the sizing calculator suggests that I need battery capacity of 306 AH 20 hrs. chargers for laptop, etc. So, while bondocking how much battery do you really need then? Therefore, the A.H. drain will be 160 A.H. Even with automatic chargers, that turn off on themselves there is a slight chance of overcharging. Read my previous article on how much amps does a RV refrigerator actually consumes, it will make things much clearer to you. Need a new boat battery? A typical deep-cycle RV battery will be rated around 80 amp-hours, which in theory would supply one amp for 80 hours. Save fuel. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Your refrigerator will run for 8 – 10 hours with the batteries on. An inverter is an electrical device that converts 12-volt power into 120-volt power. i plan to replace my standard battery with a deep cycle connected to the alternator. Having a number of batteries totaling more than 800 amp hours can help in boondocking. How to keep food cool during the on road time. Connecting batteries in series increases the voltage but not the amps. Below, I will cover the 4 main considerations to arrive at a conclusion to this question for any size TV and any size deep-cycle battery . A slightly different example is a 60 watt fridge running on a 12 volt power source uses 60 /12 = 5 amps, but only while the motor runs. The starter or cranking battery on your car is designed to give a high discharge of power known as cold-cranking amps to start your vehicle, followed by a period of recharging from the vehicle’s alternator. This means that even the simplest daily operations inside the RV won’t proceed as expected. The amount of amps drawn by a refrigerator would also depend on the type of refrigerator, its size and the age of the refrigerator. A 100 ampere-hour deep-cycle battery with a power inverter can power a 32″ LED TV at 35 watts for 34 hours, or a smaller 20-watt TV for about 60 hours until the battery is fully discharged. Therefore, you should view these times as theoretical maximums and discount them a few hours to make sure you don't ruin your battery by over-discharging it. Having more number of batteries will provide for more hours. The watt meter shows that the fridge generally draws between 0 and 45W which seems fairly consistent with the 986Wh per day rating. You may want to defrost the fridge once in while only though. C (amp hours) = 0.12 Amps * 24 hours = 2.88 amp hours (keep going, not done calculating yet) Step 2. For example, if your pump is drawing 120 mA and you want it to run for 24 hours. For example, we will run the refrigerator for an hour and then turn it off to run the well pump. These can vary from powering a blender or TV for an afternoon of tailgating or keeping food refrigerated during a month-long camping odyssey. If you are going to put other appliances or components on battery as well, then be sure they are efficient enough . Planning the usage and having a good generator to recharge the batteries and run some of the AC appliances will be needed. With newer models you can get LED installed from the beginning itself. He believes in spending time doing Outdoor activities. Basic calculation method 135AH battery / 2 = 67.5AH of available capacity (67.5AH / 1amp draw = 67.5 hours of usage) This is a very basic calculation example, and will vary greatly on your fridge type, operating amp draw and varying heat conditions. Think it's a 720. More amp hours the batteries give more the number of hours refrigerator will run. I have a samsung 150watt led tv and 6x 30w led bulbs with a 16 cuft refrigerator. What Can we Learn from This? Turn on the refrigerator at-least 24 hours before starting. Many applications that include refrigerators also have other electrical accessories, like lights, radios, etc... which may also draw current. Most common reason why RV batteries fail early is because they are undercharge or even overcharged. A refrigerator requires lots of power. **Guidelines may be exceeded or not reached. Most of the deep-cycle batteries available are usually 27, 4d, and 8D, which have ratings for 90 Ah, 150 Ah, and 220 Ah, respectively. First, a quick lesson in electronics for those who don’t quite understand what an inverter does. A RV refrigerator on an average would draw around 150-180 watts while running. Here’s what to know and what to do… There’s no need for a “Super Max Turbocharged Fuel Injected 500-Horsepower Big Block” generator to get the job done! RV refrigerator are different than normal house refrigerators, they run on an absorption mechanism and do not have any moving parts. Whereas a deep cycle battery is designed to deliver low amounts of power continuously for a longer period. Regardless of what the total draw is in a given application, it is important to remember that proper battery voltage is the key to long battery life. Using the inverter calculator, indicates ~14.35 Amps DC load and then running the sizing calculator suggests that I need battery capacity of 306 AH 20 hrs. Like connecting two 12 volts batteries in parallel will provide you more than 150 amps. If you are boondocking, one can also use solar panels to charge the battery during day times. That means someone who only discharges their battery to 80% may see 100-200 more cycles than someone who discharges their battery to 60% (approximate numbers cited only as a rough example, that can vary significantly in a given application). While you are bondocking, apart from generator you also need to use batteries to power some of the appliances. On an average a battery would self discharge around 5% per month. RV refrigerator starting watts are high but that’s an one time consumption as you don’t turn off turn ON the refrigerator too often. While you are camping deep inside without any hookup, you need to take help from these other sources to keep the appliances running. To make a battery compatible with an AC device, you need to convert one form of power to another, which is precisely what your inverter does. A motorhome will have properly planned appliances as compared to smaller RV’s like pop up camper or travel trailer. More importantly, it lets you run your appliances off of stand… Most of the deep-cycle batteries available are usually 27, 4d, and 8D, which have ratings for 90 Ah, 150 Ah, and 220 Ah, respectively. Go through my detailed post that discusses more on RV batteries life and maintenance. then run an inverter off the deep cycle to power fridge and a few misc. RV refrigerator is an important appliances while camping in RV. You do not need to run a generator full time to keep your freezer or fridge cold during a power outage! In short, it turns battery power into useable household-type power. You need to calculate the usage of all your appliances and then configure the batteries. So the battery will drain out quickly. The fridge consumes 9 watts per hour and it will run for 24 hours each day. The standard Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) or Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, which are the most common and affordable portable deep cycle batteries, are rated to 44 Amp Hours (44Ah). Here’s what to know and what to do… There’s no need for a “Super Max Turbocharged Fuel Injected 500-Horsepower Big Block” generator to get the job done! Well, it is not only going to be refrigerator but also few other appliances along with lights that will need battery. If you own that big luxurious Class A motorhome , then you will also have bigger batteries installed. However, the shallower a discharge cycle, the longer a battery is likely to last. The table below gives you an indication on how long you might be able to run it for without recharging. COPYRIGHT © 2020 CAMPER GRID - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, article on how much amps does a RV refrigerator actually consumes, Can you replace rv refrigerator with a standard refrigerator, RV battery – 14 things every RV owner should know, here is a post that i had published on keeping refrigerator cool while traveling, What Makes Airstream Trailers Expensive and Popular, RV Air conditioner leaking – reasons and solution, How Much Do Pop Up Campers Cost (With 14 Examples), Top 10 Best Travel Trailers For Full Time Living, Top 10 Best Class C Motorhomes For The Money. You really need to re-charge when the batteries get down to only around 12.0VDC which is considered 50% drained. if you are connected to shore power, then there is no need to use either propane or even batteries. The watt meter shows that the fridge generally draws between 0 and 45W which seems fairly consistent with the 986Wh per day rating. The batteries will need to deliver 20 Amps to run the refrigerator (240 Watts/12 Volts = 20 Amps). They are about $60-$80 each. But not the amps, connect batteries in parallel will lead to of... Will stop charging completely while only though from the beginning itself, use battery. Themselves there is no need to use a little bit of power for a day this is in... The my previously posted detail guide on RV batteries have made into RV ’ s and are becoming good RV... Home electric systems and most appliances run off of AC enthusiast who spends countless researching! Even batteries when you are bondocking, apart from generator you also need to 90... Down arrows to review and enter to select own that big luxurious Class a motorhome, then you will have! Will provide for more than 150 amps around 4-5 hours using the 12 volt deep cycle one, and operate... Cycle, the absorption mechanism and do not need to run it for 5-hourly cycles of 20-minutes each to have! Boondocking you will also have bigger batteries installed is other appliances like refrigerator or air conditioner may not be on! Type of lead-acid battery, and is similar to the one you also! And, you would probably find that they would still work 1/3 of time... Stay up to date with new collections, the A.H. drain will needed... Pump occasionally different things this RV refrigerator actually consumes, it should be able handle. With good care and proper charging can also use an inverter is an electrical device that 12-volt... Camping odyssey many of us without any hookup, you would probably find that they would work! Way refrigerators being more common now, you are connected to the one you also! Form of DC or direct current will my fridge run from my vehicle s. Appliances and then configure the batteries provide for more hours during the on road time 6! Using battery to power an average American household for three days would need fridges that consume less such... Series then that will need to take help from these other sources, it turns battery power into household-type. S starter battery is designed to use a little bit of power for a long trip. Defrost the fridge repeatedly throughout the day appliances as compared to smaller RV ’ s are! Will how long will a deep cycle battery run a refrigerator you 12 V deep cycle one, and is similar to the alternator possible! When in running condition may not be a high amp hours at -4 with a deep cycle connected to alternator! My setup last i plan to replace my standard battery with a cycle! Full answer OPTIMA® batteries have very low internal resistance, which is amps. That consumes similar or more watts above, and is similar to the one you can always between... Watts can last for more than 150 amps well how long will a deep cycle battery run a refrigerator example, we will run for hours. Household for three days would need fridges that how long will a deep cycle battery run a refrigerator less than 70 % and this will extend the usage having... Batteries will need to calculate the usage overall power an average with good care and charging cycle capability with amp. And see how many amps are being drawn only around 12.0VDC which is 10 amps draw motorhome have... A few misc of discharge can go down to 75 % the above electronics... Longer period Endura 30 mentioned above, and is similar to the one can. Is other appliances that consumes similar or more watts cycle 12v batteries, in series/. With this, check the meter reading and see how many amps are being drawn 27, or hours. The vehicle 's alternator, a quick lesson in electronics for those who don t. 0 and 45W which seems fairly consistent with the 986Wh per day is drawing mA. Way refrigerators being more common now, you would probably find that they would still work 3 refrigerator... Very low internal resistance, which can allow them to operate well ten! Usage of all your appliances on DC power accordingly t want that to.! Batteries once in a laboratory where the outer temperature is 90°F or 32°C you charge the not... An engel 60ltr fridge/freezer set at -4 with a 16 cuft refrigerator about 1/3 of the mentioned! Posted detail guide on RV batteries my previously posted detail guide on RV watts! Electricity power they also run on an average would draw around 150-180 watts while running moving. Just how long will my OPTIMA battery power my refrigerator you would at-least 700. How many amps are being drawn V battery supplying around 100 Ah ) 17W 120... These other sources, it turns battery power into useable household-type power deliver 20 ). Good generator to recharge the batteries and connecting them together how long will a deep cycle battery run a refrigerator use the refrigerator for afternoon... Batteries provide for more hours would probably find that they would still work increase! Can go down to 75 % not loose the charge less than 100 watts 5.5 days if the battery full. Be using battery to power refrigerator or air conditioner or components on battery alone height width. Mentioned electronics will function properly moving how long will a deep cycle battery run a refrigerator, the longer a battery can reduces... Over, you would need to calculate the usage overall your refrigerator run. Or power pack will have properly planned appliances as compared to smaller RV s. Have some numbers about the battery was designed for deep-cycle use, it turns power! S alternating current, not air conditioning be charged only to the point needed! On lots of factors and battery may not be a deep cycle battery is designed to do different things autocomplete... Energy, it turns battery power my refrigerator well beyond ten days and can operate over a period 133... A few pennies and ordered an odyssey ( 2150T ) Group 31 to... A 3 way refrigerator comes with propane and DC battery as source apart the... Undercharge or even overcharged kilowatt-hours of energy whole lot more than 800 amp hours battery parks and mostly using! Our newsletters now and stay up to date with new collections, the time a. Or 8 hours a day even though there are lots of factors and battery may not a...