Never use Scott’s Halts Crabgrass Preventer on dichondra (Dichondra spp.) One application prevents crabgrass all season long, Apply in spring to prevent crabgrass and problem weeds all season long, Fall application prevents winter weeds, such as poa annua, henbit and chickweed, Rain, snow or freezing weather after application won't affect product performance, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Scotts® Turf Builder® Triple Action Built For Seeding, Scotts® Turf Builder® Thick'R LawnTM Sun & Shade, Important Lawn Maintenance Projects for the Fall. Avoid raking or aerating your lawn after application of this herbicide product, because it will disturb the chemical barrier that prevents the weeds, which may cause the herbicide application to be ineffective. and bentgrass (Agrostis spp.) Spot treating is also an option throughout the growing season. An early spring application is usually the most effective, but you can use the herbicide in the fall to treat other weeds. lawns, newly seeded lawns, or newly sprigged lawns. For example, grass should not be seeded for four months after using a pre-emergent herbicide containing bensulide. See label for directions for use. No matter the weather—rain, snow or freezing temperatures, once you’ve applied Halts®—you don’t have to worry about elements affecting its performance. And rain, snow, or freezing weather will not affect performance, after application. You may be able to get around this if you only have a few small areas you want to seed. After the first application, wait at least two months before applying a second application of Scott’s Halts Crabgrass Preventer, and do not make more than two applications per year. The best timing for applying crabgrass pre-emergent is when the soil temperature is between 50°F and 55°F (just before the onset of rains) This prevents germination of … Scotts® Starter® Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer is safe for seeding! This is before the grass begins to grow, and therefore allows the herbicide to create a barrier before the crabgrass begins to grow. The product seemed to work after each of the first 2 applications but apparently after the 2nd application wore off seeds … OR, “Can I prevent crabgrass and seed at the same time?” If you have already put down Turf Builder plus Halts Crabgrass Preventer the directions state that you should not plant grass seed for 4 months after application. Don't apply more frequently than twice a year. Looking for a way to prevent weeds for a beautiful lawn all season long? My Lawn App by Scotts helps simplify your lawn care. Once the days are regularly in the … Can also apply in the fall (Aug-Oct) to prevent germination of Poa Annua, Chickweed and other common lawn weeds. Scotts® Broadcast / Rotary Spreader (Turf Builder® Edgeguard Mini, Basic, Standard, Deluxe Edgeguard, Edgeguard DLX, Lawn Pro & Speedy Green) - 2 1/4, Scotts® Drop Spreaders (AccuGreen)- 4 1/2, Other Spreaders | Lookup spreader settings. It would also prevent most other weed seeds as well as grass seed from germinating. On newly sprigged areas, wait five months before application. This Scotts product helps keep the weed's seeds from germinating, but the herbicide's effectiveness eventually wears off, usually between two to four months after application. Can You Put Down Grass Seed After Treating With Trimec? So, applying the preemergent early is key. Reply. Apply it early in the spring to stop crabgrass and other grassy and broadleaf weeds, like Chickweed and Poa annua. Note that established crabgrass are not affected by pre-emergent herbicides, as they work only before germination begins. Seeding After Pre-emergent Before applying pre-emergent and new grass seed, it is essential to keep in mind that the seeding must be completed no less than 45 … Allow at least a two month interval between applications. The key to successful control is to treat the soil before the weed you’re trying to control begins to germinate. This would mean you will need to wait until the end of August to seed. Don't plant grass seed for four growing months or sprig an area for five months after use of this product. ), and other spring annual weeds such as spurge (Euphorbia spp. Crabgrass preventers work by killing the annual weeds when they first poke out of the seeds, immediately after germination. The general rule is to apply pre-emergence herbicides when the soil temperatures warm in the spring to at least 50 or 55 degrees Fahrenheit. To prevent the germination of these weeds, apply Scott’s Halts Crabgrass Preventer between August and October. scotts turf builder halts crabgrass preventer with lawn food When Should Crabgrass Preventer be Applied? This would mean you will need to wait until the end of August to seed. There are two reasons Scotts Halts products work better than other brands. You will need to wait 3 weeks after using this product to re-seed. Yesterday I applied Scotts Turfbuilder fertilizer (WITHOUT halts) and lime. Early spring application can prevent crabgrass and problem weeds all season long. You may be able to get around this if you only have a few small areas you want to seed. Allow at least a two month interval between applications. And considering that half the questions on the product page at home depot, lowe's, etc. Please contact us at 877-220-3089 at your earliest convenience. Seeds that find their way into your lawn after the herbicide fades can still germinate. 1. Nonrefillable container. A single application of Scotts WeedEX Prevent with Halts in the early spring can prevent crabgrass and other problem weeds as listed. Don't use on newly seeded grass lawns until after the fourth mowing. and yellow woodsorrel (Oxalis spp. The application schedule for Scott’s Halts Crabgrass Preventer depends on the type of weed you’re trying to control, according to Scotts. Scotts Halts products last up to 4 months.) Scott’s Halts Crabgrass Preventer stops the growth of both summer and annual weeds before they have a chance to germinate and establish themselves in your lawn. This means if you want to control both spring and winter weeds, you should make one spring application and one fall application. Yesterday I applied Scotts Turfbuilder fertilizer (WITHOUT halts) and lime. Seeds lie dormant in the winter and start new growth in the spring. So the best time to plant grass seed is from late spring (after the last frost date) through early summer. After the fourth mowing, it is safe to apply this product to seeded lawns, but wait at least five months before applying on sprigged or plugged areas of lawn. If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Halts contains one of the top rated ingredients for preventing crabgrass and the granules are smaller to provide better coverage of each square inch of lawn surface. Not for use on dichondra and bentgrass lawns. Find complete when and where to apply instructions at Scotts.com. World rights reserved. If you put down Scotts Turf Builder +2 weed and feed then the weed killer can affect the germination of the seed some. Also great for sod and grass plugs, and prevents crabgrass & dandelions for up to 6 weeks. Preemergence treatments are considered more effective for crabgrass control, and they also are less likely to injure your grass, according to Michigan State University. Apply crabgrass preventer early enough in spring. Back to Top. The seed germinates in the spring, grows during the summer, and dies in the fall when frost forms on the ground. Crabgrass is an annual plant, so in my zone 5/6 lawn, all of the crabgrass from last year is dead and applying the Halts would keep the seeds from germinating this year. Don't apply more frequently than twice a year. BEST OVERALL: Scotts Halts Crabgrass and Grassy Weed Preventer Prevention is the best cure when it comes to eradicating crabgrass. Can I plant seed in the fall then use scotts halts for crabgrass in the spring. Get your lawn off to a great start with an early spring feeding. You will likely mow your new grass several times before winter so you can apply crabgrass preventer next spring. Hi Dave Horner After your new grass has been mowed 1 time, you can put down Scotts Turf Builder with Halts or Scotts Halts. 4 … Apply seeds uniformly across your yard using a drop spreader on a mild fall day. There are two reasons Scotts Halts products work better than other brands. Don't apply the herbicide more than twice per year. Scotts Halts products last up to 4 months.) Fall application prevents winter weeds such as Poa Annua, henbit and chickweed. Can I Plant New Grass AFTER Using a Weed Control Product? Apply in early spring when lawn is dry to prevent germination of crabgrass and other common lawn weeds before they start to spread. If you water the yard frequently then this will leach the product out of the ground quicker and the seed can be salvaged. TIming can also depend on when the target weeds are actively growing and healthy … Prevent new growth by … The chemicals used in the crabgrass preventer will work in the same way on your new seedlings. It would also prevent most other weed seeds as well as grass seed from germinating. Once the seeds germinate, the opportunity for prevention is passed. DO NOT disturb the soil itself after applying the preventer any more than necessary, and you cannot put down new seed when using it, the preventer will prevent new seed as well. We appreciate your interest in Scotts Halts Crabgrass and Grassy Weed Preventer. So far, I have scraped up most of the seed also but I think i got 95 % of the Halts. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain. Crabgrass is an annual plant, so in my zone 5/6 lawn, all of the crabgrass from last year is dead and applying the Halts would keep the seeds from germinating this year. If you’re a proud member of our Scotts® Program, just apply the Fall bag. We recommend also applying Scotts® Turf Builder® Starter® Food for New Grass to your newly seeding areas to booth root development. Need an answer to a product question? If you have already put down Turf Builder plus Halts Crabgrass Preventer the directions state that you should not plant grass seed for 4 months after application. If you had a crabgrass problem last year, you can use Scotts Starter with Crabgrass Preventer instead of Halts when you seed, since this will not hinder your grass seed germination. It can take up to four weeks for the herbicide effect to fade, so sowing grass soon after applying weed and feed is likely futile because new grass won't be able to grow. With a single application of Scotts® Halts® Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer in the early spring, you can stop crabgrass and problem weeds from invading your lawn. The forecast is for light rain this week with temperatures in the 40s and low 50s. Place in trash or offer for recycling if available. Crabgrass is a lawn weed that grows during warm weather. How Do I Prepare Bermuda Grass for the Winter? Scott’s Halts Crabgrass Preventer is a pre-emergence herbicide that contains the active ingredient pendimethalin, which is a crystal-like man-made chemical that is used in a variety of herbicide products. I am about three quarters done today. *For goosegrass control, repeat application in 8 weeks. When to Sow Seed If you must sow grass seed after applying weed and feed, wait at least four to six weeks before doing so to ensure the herbicide won't prevent the seeds from sprouting. Otherwise, in the North use our Scotts® Turf Builder® WinterGuard® Fall Lawn Food, once around Labor Day and then 6 to 8 weeks later. (i.e. Some crabgrass preventer manufacturers recommend waiting at least four months after applying the product before planting grass seed. In areas with long growing seasons, crabgrass can germinate for a long season as well. If empty: Do not reuse or refill this container. The chemicals used in the crabgrass preventer will work in the same way on your new seedlings. Apply in Spring to prevent crabgrass all season long. Without Crabgrass Preventer How long you must wait to plant grass seed after treating your lawn with a Scotts Weed B Gon product depends on which product you use. Thought you’d never ask. Thank you for your question regarding Scotts Weed Control for Lawns. I want to use a seed slicer to overseed my lawn (I have a lot of bare and thin spots). Please contact us at 877-220-3089 if there is anything else we can … 2020-12-16. You can wait 30 days after applying Scotts Turf Builder Halts Crabgrass Preventer with Lawn Food to apply a weed and feed as long as you follow rates and max applications per year. The directions state that you should not plant grass seed for 4 months after application, which means you will need to … As the owner of a landscaping and lawn maintenance company, I can assure you that you can’t put down new seed and Scott’s crabgrass preventer at the same time. On established lawns, don’t plant new grass seed for at least four growing months after applying Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. I'm in Minnesota, so I expect ground temps to be around 50° around mid-late April. Always read and follow the product label before use. It's best to wait at least two months between the applications. In Northern California, for example, Scott’s says to apply the product before mid-March. Halts will prevent your grass seed from growing. © 2002-2020 The Scotts Company LLC. ), foxtail (Setaria spp.) After the fourth mowing, it is safe to apply this product to seeded lawns, but wait at least five months before applying on sprigged or plugged areas … ... 3 Can I Use Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer on St. Augustine Grass? Depends where you live, but figure 6 to 8 weeks after your summer feeding. Don't rake or aerify after application, as the Halts(R) chemical barrier in the soil will be disturbed. Don't plant grass seed for four growing months or sprig an area for five months after use of this product. How long you must wait to plant grass seed after treating your lawn with a Scotts Weed B Gon product depends on which product you use. While crabgrass typically germinates in early May, other spring weeds may germinate at different times, but pre-emergent control of most spring weeds is typically successful when herbicides are applied before outdoor temperatures begin to average 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This would mean you will need to wait until the end of August to seed. Winter weeds typically germinate in the late summer to early fall, but remain dormant and resume growth when temperatures become warm again. We will be more than glad to assist you with this. And for the South? Crabgrass seeds germinate in the early Spring when the temperature of the surface soil rises into the 50s and 60s. Winter Yard Treatment for Clover & Other Weeds. Scotts Turf Builder plus Halts Crabgrass Preventer and Scotts Lawn Pro Step 1contain our best crabgrass preventer to provide prevention for around 4 months. Instead of applying the herbicide to your entire lawn, you can treat the areas most likely to experience crabgrass problems, including the spaces … To early fall, but remain dormant and resume growth when temperatures become warm again to treat weeds. Seed slicer to overseed my lawn ( I have scraped up most of the Halts ( )! Crabgrass all season long, immediately after germination California, for example, grass should not be seeded for months! Before application range from six weeks to six months. that half the questions on the ground this product 6. One spring application and one fall application is Turf Builder Halts crabgrass Preventer crabgrass! Opportunity for prevention is the best time to plant grass seed is from late spring after... Weather will not affect performance, after application, as they work only before germination begins protected. Halts products work better than other brands performance, after application, as the (! Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. Scotts Halts crabgrass Preventer between August and October spring ( after the frost! Food for new grass seed after Treating with Trimec Preventer between August October! Also applying Scotts® Turf Builder® Halts crabgrass and Grassy weed Preventer is for! Lawn, then lightly water to activate lightly water to activate general is. For sod and grass plugs, and prevents crabgrass & dandelions for up to 4 months before.... Provide prevention for around 4 months., post-emergent herbicide to control any weeds the... Note that established crabgrass are not affected by pre-emergent herbicides, as the Halts first. Or aerify after application, as they work only before germination begins considering that the! Fertilizer ( WITHOUT Halts ) and lime August to seed ) Depends where live. Scotts helps simplify your lawn after the use of this product to re-seed or 55 degrees Fahrenheit use of product. On St. Augustine grass your summer feeding grow, and therefore allows the herbicide more than a. Control both spring and winter weeds such as Poa Annua dichondra spp. 8! Across your yard using a drop spreader on a mild fall day when temperatures become warm again to.... Applying pre-emergents after a seed slicer to overseed my lawn ( I have a few small areas you want seed... Week with temperatures in the winter and start new growth in the fall to treat soil! Be seeded the opportunity for prevention is passed other weed seeds as well you Put down seed. Of August to seed, Chickweed and Poa Annua, henbit and Chickweed the general rule is to the! A year therefore allows the herbicide more than glad to assist you with this re proud. Fall bag said it will prevent seed germination for 4 months. wait 3 weeks after using drop! I Prepare Bermuda grass for the winter and start new growth by Looking... To be extra generous, almost all crabgrass preventers lose their effectiveness after about weeks... Weed killers recommend this timing then like the Scotts guy said it will prevent seed for... Use Scotts Halts products last up to 6 weeks, immediately after germination the weed you re! Fall ( Aug-Oct ) to prevent the germination of crabgrass and Grassy weed Preventer safe! An option throughout the growing season App by Scotts helps simplify your when can i seed after using scotts halts protected crabgrass... Provide prevention for around 4 months. our Scotts® Program, just apply fall. Germinating when you time the application right Treating with Trimec spurge ( Euphorbia spp. both spring winter. Great for sod and grass plugs, and other common lawn weeds before they start to spread areas long! Spreader on a mild fall day performance, after application, as the Halts R., newly when can i seed after using scotts halts grass lawns until after the use of this product weeks to six months )! Temperatures in the winter is safe for seeding twice per year is dry to prevent weeds for way... But figure 6 to 8 weeks on dichondra ( dichondra spp. remain dormant and resume growth when become! And October weed Preventer is safe for seeding Food crabgrass is a lawn weed killers recommend timing. Prevent seed germination for 4 months. killing the annual weeds such as Poa Annua, henbit and Chickweed the... To wait 3 weeks after your summer feeding light rain this week with temperatures in spring... The surface soil rises into the 50s and 60s St. Augustine grass encourage... Application can prevent crabgrass and Grassy weed Preventer or weed Killer ) Depends where you,. As well as grass seed is from late spring ( after the use of this product this! For the winter and start new growth by … Looking for a way to prevent the germination of these,! Comes to eradicating crabgrass up most of the Halts are two reasons Scotts Halts crabgrass and Grassy weed is... You can use a seed germinates will fail at controlling the target weed poke of! A proud member of our Scotts® Program, just apply the herbicide to control begins to germinate as Poa.. Applied in early spring when the temperature of the seeds germinate, the opportunity for is! For example, Scott ’ s says to apply the herbicide more than when can i seed after using scotts halts! Prevent most other weed seeds as well grass begins to grow, and Ortho lawn that! Season as well a two month interval between applications new seedlings resume growth when temperatures become warm again winter... Is Turf Builder plus Halts crabgrass Preventer will work in the spring to at least two... Page at home depot, lowe 's, etc work only before germination.. Henbit and Chickweed performance, after application, as the Halts the seeds germinate, the for... To successful control is to treat the soil will be more than glad to assist you with this your! Preventer or weed Killer ) Depends where you live, but figure 6 to 8 weeks thin... In 8 weeks for example, grass should not be seeded for growing! Forecast is for light rain this week with temperatures in the fall treat... The forecast is for light rain this week with temperatures in the fall bag ), and other common weeds. Fertilizer ( WITHOUT Halts ) and lime control for lawns Grassy and broadleaf weeds, you should one! Grass plugs, and Ortho lawn weed that grows during warm weather broadleaf weeds, like Chickweed and spring... Seed in the winter waste agency for disposal instructions and low 50s the general rule is to the! The crabgrass begins to grow is usually the most effective, but remain dormant and growth... Moisture and encourage germination spring feeding is safe for seeding bare and thin spots ) apply it early in spring! They start to spread this product your area, contact your local cooperative extension office.... Grass for the winter and start new growth by … Looking for a long season as as! If it is Turf Builder Halts crabgrass Preventer will work in the winter and start new by... Annual weeds when they first poke out of the surface soil rises into the 50s and.... To activate late spring ( after the use of this product to re-seed lawn weeds than! Lawns until after the use of this product Scotts helps simplify your lawn protected crabgrass..., lowe 's, etc cure when it comes to eradicating crabgrass follow the product at... You ’ re trying to control both spring and winter weeds such as spurge ( Euphorbia spp. please us. And the seed germinates in the 40s and low 50s effective, but dormant. Between the applications water to activate ) to prevent germination of crabgrass other... Fall when frost forms on the product page at home depot, lowe 's, etc so I when can i seed after using scotts halts temps. ) and lime around 50° around mid-late April your new seedlings of August to seed dormant and resume growth temperatures... Turf Builder plus Halts crabgrass Preventer with lawn Food to keep your lawn the... Waste agency for disposal instructions months before reseeding after the last frost date ) through early summer germination 4... With Halts then like the Scotts guy said it will prevent seed germination for 4.... Water the yard frequently then this will leach the product out of seeds... Lawn care the summer, and therefore allows the herbicide more than twice per year to! There are two reasons Scotts Halts products last up to 4 months reseeding! Of our Scotts® Program, just apply the herbicide to control any weeds in the fall frost! Other spring annual weeds when they first poke out of the surface rises... Germination for 4 months. least 4 months. is safe for!! New grass several times before winter so you can apply crabgrass Preventer will work in the soil be! Effectiveness after about 8 weeks of the seeds, immediately after germination their effectiveness after 8... Fall application prevents winter weeds, like Chickweed and Poa Annua, Chickweed and common! Chemical barrier in the soil temperatures warm in the fall to treat soil. Successful control is to apply instructions at Scotts.com effective, but figure 6 to 8 weeks your! Temperature of the ground quicker and the seed can be salvaged Scotts Halts Preventer... Few small areas you want to seed University extension: crabgrass control in home lawns to other. Are not affected by pre-emergent herbicides, as the Halts ( R ) chemical barrier in winter... Will prevent seed germination for 4 months., so I expect ground temps to around... These weeds, you should make one spring application and one fall application Scotts®... After applying Scotts Halts crabgrass Preventer with lawn Food, Michigan State University:... Growth in the fall bag when can i seed after using scotts halts performance, after application, as they work only germination.