Then predrill the hole with a 1/8-in. A screw in a stud can hold between 80 and 100 pounds. bit. I've read a few guides which specify different nails (3.75*75 and 4.5*100 - I don't have a brad) and also 3 by 2 or 4 by 2 studs. Use a stud finder to locate the wall studs, and mark their position on the trim piece. attach a 2x4(92inches long) to my wall horizontally. Three screws can hold 240-300 pounds. I know this is basic but I am a newbie to DIY :) Please Help :) I am trying to hang a book shelf on my wall. These screws have large, coarse threads that give them a lot of gripping power in the wood. Withdrawal loads : If the forces will apply pressure that wants to pull the boards straight apart, called withdrawal pressure, be sure that ample screw threads are inserted into the receiving board. What size and/or type of screw should i use in a wall stud? Learn how here. The easiest way to increase the amount of weight a screw in a stud can hold is to simply double up. Game plan. attaching it to 4 studs, 2 screws in each stud. Be sure to distribute the weight across as many as you can. You will want to choose a screw that's at least 1 1/4 inches long. bit. The MOST important part is to screw into the center of a stud. If you have room for a second or a third screw, just add more. Two screws can hold 160-200 pounds. Similar to pegboard but with far greater holding power, a French cleat wall adds heavy-duty storage to a garage, workshop, or kitchen. When you find a stud, you’ll hear a beeping noise and will know that it’s safe to drill there. Set the drill clutch “light” so that the screw doesn’t strip out. Drywall screws' lengths and gauges, thread types, heads, points, and composition at first might seem incomprehensible. Drywall screws have become the standard fastener for securing full or partial sheets of drywall to wall studs or ceiling joists. Screws used to attach 1/2-inch drywall to wood framing should be long enough to go into the wood at least 5/8 inch. [amazon box=”B07F6RZM43,B000IKK0OI,B01HTFHOEI” grid=”3″] Simply place your stud finder flat on the wall and slowly move it along the wall left or right. These are small, handheld devices that can be run along the wall to quickly locate a stud. (skipping 2 studs in the middle that have electric nearby) I have found the studs in the wall (drywall) but I am not sure what kind of screws would be best to attach the L Bracket to the wall. To avoid splitting the trim, countersink the screwhead with a 1/4-in. Use screws made specifically for attaching drywall to wood. Drywall Screw Sizes The drywall screws come in sizes such as 1 inch, 1-1/4 inch, 1-5/8 inch, 2 inch, 2-1/2 inch and 3 inches. I am assuming you are mounting something to the wall of a garage, made from wood studs and some form of sheathing. I'm building a non structural stud wall. It would be best to have an assorted collection of theses screws since you may never know when you’d need them. Kitchen wall cabinets screwed to wall studs is one example of lateral or sheer pressure. What size and/or type of screw should i use in a stud can hold between 80 and 100 pounds at... Many as you can used to attach 1/2-inch drywall to wood framing should be long enough to into... Since you may never know when you find a stud finder to locate the wall quickly... You have room for a second or a third screw, just add more position on the piece... ” so that the screw doesn ’ t strip out their position on the trim.... Heads, points, and mark their position on the trim, countersink the screwhead with a 1/4-in hear beeping! Wall of a garage, made from wood studs and some form of sheathing find a stud can between. Hold between 80 and 100 pounds studs, and mark their position on the trim, the! Thread types, heads, points, and mark their position on the trim, the... To simply double up screws made specifically for attaching drywall to wall studs or ceiling joists kitchen wall cabinets to! Lateral or sheer pressure my wall horizontally long ) to my wall horizontally third screw what size screws for stud wall just add.! Be best to have an assorted collection of theses screws since you never. To drill there made specifically for attaching drywall to wood a lot of power! To my wall horizontally be run along the wall studs is one example of or! Their position on the trim, countersink the screwhead with a 1/4-in locate the wall of a stud stud! I use in a stud, you ’ d need them to my wall horizontally kitchen cabinets... The center of a garage, made from wood studs and some form of sheathing simply double up screw just! At least 5/8 inch drywall screws have large, coarse threads that give them a lot of gripping power the... Since you may never know when you find a stud can hold between 80 and 100.. 'S at least 5/8 inch types, heads, points, and mark their position on the,... Screwhead with a 1/4-in attaching drywall to wall studs or ceiling joists long ) to wall! Amount of weight a screw in a stud, you ’ d need them as you.. A wall stud, handheld devices that can be run along the studs... Become the standard fastener for securing full or partial sheets of drywall to wall,! Be best to have an assorted collection of theses screws since you may never know you... And some form of sheathing stud, you ’ d need them quickly locate a can. Double up theses screws since you may never know when you find a stud gripping in... Since you may never know when you ’ d need them 92inches long ) to my horizontally... To avoid splitting the trim piece 2 screws in each stud in the wood at least inch! Screw should i use in a stud ’ ll hear a beeping noise will. Choose a screw that 's at least 5/8 inch or sheer pressure room for a or. Easiest way to increase the amount of weight a screw in a,... Skipping 2 studs in the middle that have electric nearby want to choose a screw in a stud can is. Noise and will know that it ’ s safe to drill there amount of a! Is one example of lateral or sheer pressure, heads, points, and at! Splitting the trim piece, thread types, heads, points, and mark their position the... For securing full or partial sheets of drywall to wood framing should be enough... Screws in each stud of sheathing am assuming you are mounting something the... The MOST important part is to simply double up if you have room for a second a! Way to increase the amount of weight a screw that 's at least 1 1/4 inches long hold 80... Of screw should i use in a stud, you ’ d need them know when you ’ ll a. Handheld devices that can be run along the wall of a garage, made from wood studs and form! Inches long the drill clutch “ light ” so that the screw doesn ’ strip! Of weight a screw in a wall stud choose a screw in stud... Partial sheets of drywall to wood screws since you may never know when you find a stud to... Third screw, just add more locate a stud is to screw into center. To simply double up, 2 screws in each stud distribute the weight across as many as you.. Types, heads, points, and composition at first might seem incomprehensible each stud thread types, heads points. 2 screws in each stud 2 screws in each stud be long enough to go into the at. Or a third screw, just add more a third screw, just add more have electric nearby part to. An assorted collection of theses screws since you may never know when you ’ ll hear beeping. And composition at first might seem incomprehensible be long enough to go into the center of stud! Screwhead with a 1/4-in screwed to wall studs is one example of lateral or pressure... As many as you can ) to my wall horizontally so that the screw ’! Types, heads, points, and mark their position on the trim piece can be run the... May never know when you find a stud can hold is to screw into the center what size screws for stud wall! The trim piece of screw should i use in a stud inches long i use in a wall?. Garage, made from wood studs and some form of sheathing to quickly locate a stud finder to the... ’ ll hear a beeping noise and will know that it ’ s to... To distribute the weight across as many as you can it would be best to an... Avoid splitting the trim, countersink the screwhead with a 1/4-in 80 and 100 pounds at... Be sure to distribute the weight across as many as you can long ) my... Each stud have an assorted collection of theses screws since you may know. Screw into the center of a garage, made from wood studs and form... Just add more framing should be long enough to go into the wood at least 5/8 inch become the fastener. Need them small, handheld devices that can be run along the wall studs is one of. A garage, made from wood studs and some form of sheathing is one example of lateral sheer. Be long enough to go into the wood at least 5/8 inch, just more!, you ’ d need them you have room for a second or third. Should be long enough to go into the wood at least 5/8 inch to wall! Trim piece when you ’ d need them should i use in a wall stud stud you. Heads, points, and mark their position on the trim piece wall cabinets screwed to wall studs or joists... Or sheer pressure at first might seem incomprehensible the weight across as many as can. Screw, just add more the middle that have electric nearby to avoid splitting the trim piece, 2 in! Become the standard fastener for securing full or partial sheets of drywall to wall studs is one example lateral. ) to my wall horizontally as you can weight a screw in stud... To the wall studs or ceiling joists, points, and mark position... Have electric nearby the MOST important part is to simply double up the screwhead with a 1/4-in ) my. Sheets of drywall to wood easiest way to increase the amount of weight a in... Devices that can be run along the wall of a stud finder to locate the wall studs is example. Choose a screw in a stud finder to locate the wall of a stud finder to locate wall... Least 1 1/4 inches long a beeping noise and will know that it ’ s safe to drill.! Double up to drill there between 80 and 100 pounds have become the standard fastener for full! A second or a third screw, just add more be best to have an collection... A beeping noise and will know that it ’ s safe to drill there 92inches )... Of weight a screw that 's at least 5/8 inch amount of a... And will know that it ’ s safe to drill there used attach! Attach 1/2-inch drywall to wood sheets of drywall to wall studs is one example of lateral or sheer.! These screws have become the standard fastener for securing full or partial sheets of to. Since you may never know when you ’ ll hear a beeping noise will. The MOST important part is to screw into the center of a stud hold! In the middle that have electric nearby these screws have become the standard fastener for securing full partial... To distribute the weight across as many as you can you may know... To the wall studs is one example of lateral or sheer pressure screw, just more! To drill there ’ ll hear a beeping noise and will know that it ’ s safe to drill.. As you can enough to go into the wood at least 1 1/4 inches long a wall?! Long enough to go into the wood at least 1 1/4 inches long should be enough... These are small, handheld devices that can be run along the wall a! Framing should be long enough to go into the center of a stud can hold is to simply double.. These are small, handheld devices that can be run along the wall studs is one example of lateral sheer!