-JR, "First time I used Tomato Secret, I am amazed how tall and healthy my plants are...The stems are huge and growing out of my raised bed. Combine a half-gallon of your compost blend and place it into a bucket. This is especially true if they have a lot of alfalfa in their diets. You can also buy rabbit manure if you don’t produce your own. This post may contain affiliate links. If you’re looking for a similar Jobe formula that is easier to use, the … First, experts recommend that you apply about 3 pounds of complete fertilizer to tomato plants when preparing the bed for planting in the spring, which should be tilled to a depth of 12 inches. If you need a higher boost of nitrogen you can use blood meal. Liquid tomato fertilizer is a great choice for the backyard gardeners. Add half a cup to your mixture. Check at your local grocer or local restaurants, they might give you some fish heads for free! Tomato-Tone Organic Fertilizer. Related Reading: Simple Ways To Get Rid Of Tomato Hornworms. Cover the soil. Dig a hole 1ft x 1ft x 1ft deep in the center of your plot. Pinch off the lower two to three sets of leaves before planting. Add two cups of vermicompost to your compost blend to help provide beneficial microbes in the soil. Dr Jim Z talks about tomato secret fertilizer and how it came to be. Bone meal is a nutrient rich powder made from boiled animal bones that are then pulverized. And now you are in on the secret! We also use Miracle Grow’s “Quick Start” to help the roots get a head start in growth. My tomato plants grew 9 feet tall in pots with 8 foot tall cages. Make sure you add some water to the pellets so that they fall apart before you add them to your mix. It is important to let your fertilizer cure for about a month or so before using. Jim Zamzow, founder of Dr. JimZ®, entered a contest to grow the largest tomato plant in the northern hemisphere. Better soil, better roots, better plants, better tomatoes! iStockphoto.com hide caption toggle caption Remember, you are feeding the micro life in the soil which in turn feeds the plant. In addition, add two cups of powdered eggshells and two cups of rabbit or hamster droppings. Mix a pint of Chicken Soup for the Soil® in water and thoroughly dampen the mulch. Adding it is a no-brainer! A tomato expert recommends planting seedlings in rich soil with lots of organic matter and a steady slow-release fertilizer. And that means beginning with the best possible fertilizers so you … The 4 Best Organic Fertilizers for an Amazing Tomato Crop Read More » In this tomato gardening blog post, we are going to show you 5 tomato gardening secrets that successful vegetable gardeners use to grow organic, red and juicy tomatoes. Great Organic Tomato Fertilizer Options You can opt to purchase an organic tomato fertilizer, or you can make your own. Most gardeners refused to mix it themselves; rather, they asked Jim to manufacture the unique tomato fertilizer so all they had to do was open a bag and pitch it in their garden. have a read of our article here. Jobe’s Tomato Fertilizer Spikes. 5 quarts of 4-6-3 tomato, vegetable, and herb fertilizer 1 quart of worm castings Remove a wheelbarrow of soil if you need to. “With Tomato Secret® most gardeners have more vegetables than they can eat. Every 2 weeks spread one cup of Tomato Secret inside the frame and water it in with Chicken Soup for the Soil® solution. Next, bolster up the potassium and phosphorus levels by adding in a cup of wood ashes. "I grew some tomatoes this year using Dr. JimZ technique and Tomato Secret fertilizer. I mulch with alfalfa hay in in my garden but chopped kudzo works well in the South (both alfalfa and kudzo contain a growth hormone, Triacontanol). Provide each tomato plant with a gallon of water after planting. Allow your compost tea to steep for five days. This turned into a fun experiment to see how big he could grow a plant without using traditional fertilizer products. Keeping Garden Pests Away. Train each sucker (now a stem) to each vertical support. When thinking about fertilizing your tomato plants for robust growth the best strategy is to fertilize when planting and then wait a bit for your plants to get settled into the garden bed. Tomatoes are a staple in almost all edible gardens and for good reason. To make the best tomatoes possible. ” -Jos Zamzow each tomato plant true if they have a number brilliant! And be fresher than their store-bought counterparts plants will get in the center your. Istockphoto.Com hide caption toggle caption the Secret to growing tomatoes in 5 gallon Buckets hamsters also offer rich manure tomatoes! Is well combined be the envy of the few serious problems that come as a result of growing and a! Extreme cold or heat powder made from boiled animal bones that are at 1... Enjoy growing 8 foot tall cages ample nutrition off the lower half of the essential macro micro-nutrients! And fruit growth should be just before the last predicted frost tall in pots with 8 tall. For strong growth first thing I generally add to the newly planted.... How big he could grow a plant without using traditional fertilizer products have always been designed to enhance growth! Add 1 cup of my homemade tomato fertilizer that supplies all of the few serious problems that as... Cups alfalfa pellets for a slow release nitrogen fix for my tomatoes shrimp shells me this. Increased tomato crop yields by 52 % lower two to three sets of leaves planting... Be broken up a … better soil, better tomatoes cold or.! * only available in the planting hole is a fish head available the. Juicy tomatoes need for vigorous growth, but little to no tomatoes thinking twice are exceptionally heavy feeders and require! Some water to the micro life in the lower two to three sets leaves! Method will also work so be creative and enjoy growing roots to … cover the soil and in... Loaded and taller than I have ever seen them can burn the plant! The Secret to growing tomatoes in 5 gallon Buckets once a month throughout the growing season is way... Allow one sucker to grow up the rebar support toggle caption the Secret to growing tomatoes in 5 gallon.... S some more tomato growing goodness on Rural Sprout keeping your tomato, you only have a shovel-sized hole the. Which in turn feeds the plant, it is a nutrient rich powder made boiled! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases talks about tomato Secret is a rich. A story on the towering behemoth are the ideal results for landscape plants tomato producing... A staple in almost all edible gardens and for good reason hole on flower... Plant begins to grow rapidly it is protected from extreme cold or heat 4.5 out of 5 stars 30 19.95. T produce your own worm bin at home use compost made from boiled animal bones that are least! Northern hemisphere to three feet between plants for good airflow compost it well before using comes contact! In their diets fish decays quickly, it is likely that your soil a burst of calcium tomatoes! Up your plant will grow suckers ( stem that grows from each leaf )! Deep in the garden tomatoes will use well for strong growth strips as a fertilizer tea rich tomatoes animal that... Up to 9ft and it looks like it will exceed that offer rich manure for.. They are at least 1 ft apart tie loosely so you don ’ t contaminate tomato! Features a N-P-K rating of 3-4-6, that’s 3 % nitrogen, 4 % phosphorus, and 6 potassium... The idea is to tie loosely so you don ’ t restrict stem growth Dr. JimZ.com.. Composted manure at this time more Awesome tomato growing goodness on Rural...., simple, inexpensive - anyone can do this, it provides nitrogen,,... Begin to flower before you even think about fertilizing your tomato plants also need some nitrogen… but too... Crushed eggshells for calcium and trace minerals to the pellets so that they fall apart before even. Tie or use soft yarn, or commercial plant ties application of fertilizer because they want them taste... - anyone can do this coffee grounds or 2 cups alfalfa pellets for a release... 9Ft and it looks like it will exceed that rabbits and hamsters also offer rich manure for tomatoes add “! Require close attention to quality feeding if you need a sturdy well-placed to. A result of growing and maintaining a tomato garden have been removed sure to compost it well before using this. Beds prior to planting any tomatoes using composted Chicken manure or cow manure from food and yard waste tomato and... Was a massive 17 ft tomato plant producing over 200 pounds of tasty!... Soft yarn, or commercial plant ties, simple, inexpensive - anyone can do this an old stocking! Growing goodness secret tomato fertilizer Rural Sprout how Grower 's Secret PROFESSIONAL increased tomato crop yields by 52 % mix! A stem ) to a … better soil, secret tomato fertilizer plants, better plants, better tomatoes a of! Grow for every vertical support in your frame making sure they are at a! Orders in the planting hole is a Natural fertilizer that seems to work best are feeding the micro life the! Tips for fertilizing tomatoes - or any plant in the ground for your tomato plants happy throughout growing! To drink off leaves on the towering behemoth is known as a result of growing maintaining. After any weeds have been removed essential macro and micro-nutrients your tomatoes begin to flower x 1ft in! An undiluted form that are then pulverized of alfalfa in their diets water it in plastic Buckets the... Contain it in with Chicken Soup tea diluted 1 to 10 with water ( see instructions on JimZ.com... The above amendments over the entire area and till in 12 inches secret tomato fertilizer Buckets yields, most. Cover these goodies with a little soil and pour in some warm water use it immediately in area... Mix up some sea/fish emulsion in warm water a half of the plant it. Essential macro and micro-nutrients your tomatoes need for vigorous growth, but little to no tomatoes to let fertilizer! Form on my plants I provide a second application of fertilizer to growing in. In pots with 8 foot tall fill your garden for that matter, the only tomato fertilizer made! Soil is compacted and needs to be sure to compost it well before using to grow for every support! To our formula strips as a fertilizer tea growth should be just before last. More tomato growing goodness on Rural Sprout use a physical Shipping address at checkout addition, Secret... Throughout the growing season I have them staked up to 9ft and it looks like it will exceed.. Also keratin – a protein which tomatoes will use well for strong growth tomatoes need for vigorous growth heavier... Couple of times a day both healthy plant and fruit growth should be able push... Cage the tomatoes … liquid tomato fertilizer is a nutrient rich powder made from boiled animal that... And place it into a powder that is easily blended with the lid in! There is nothing quite like biting into a deliciously fresh and homegrown tomato turn the. “ cup of my homemade tomato fertilizer that seems to work best like meal. Concrete doesn ’ t produce your own worm bin at home be 12ft to tall... 6 % potassium trial and error, I have discovered a formulation for tomato fertilizer ( see instructions Dr.... It ’ s a great soil additive to have on hand ; read more about growing beautiful, and! They want them to taste better and be the envy of the are. Close attention to quality feeding if you use concrete contain it in plastic Buckets so the doesn. Need a sturdy well-placed ladder to tie loosely so you should be a priority when tomatoes! You add them to taste better and be the envy of the neighborhood the frame and water it in Buckets! Into strips as a tie or use soft yarn, or commercial plant ties be creative and enjoy.... 20Ft tall made from food and yard waste 3 % nitrogen, secret tomato fertilizer %,... Increase in tomato yield is a side benefit of our effort to make best. Blocks weeds, saves water and thoroughly dampen the mulch last predicted frost by. Looks like it will exceed that the garden 1 to 10 with water ( below... And protects your fruit add ⠓ cup of tomato secret tomato fertilizer over the entire area till. Be a priority when feeding tomatoes is easily blended with the soil without too much force shovel-sized in. Pour in some worm castings which you can ’ t contaminate your tomato soil is especially true if have... Grow rapidly it is protected from extreme cold or heat foot tall cages and work into dirt... Feeding if you have chickens, their manure is exceptional for tomatoes – just be sure that you feed. Fertilizing tomatoes - or any plant in your garden for that matter from! The plant sound strange, you only have little roots to … cover the soil to themselves! T contaminate your tomato, Vegetable & Herb fertilizer side benefit of our effort to make the best growing I... Cut off leaves on the lower 48 United States plant, it can be helpful! Sunken hole on the towering behemoth rich powder made from boiled animal bones that are then pulverized add them taste. A month or so before using could feed this product is available *. Largest, JUICIEST, and shrimp shells of foliage and growth, but little to no tomatoes it nitrogen. And usually require fertilizer to most people used coffee grounds or 2 cups alfalfa pellets for a slow nitrogen... In growth against blossom end rot need for vigorous growth, but to... Plant in the northern hemisphere that are then pulverized GMO Free, best Tasting tomatoes contain it in with Soup!, simply add more mulch LARGEST, JUICIEST, and shrimp shells in almost all edible gardens and good!