Translate savoir in context, with examples of use and definition. Alexa conjugates the French verb SAVOIR (TO KNOW/KNOW HOW TO DO SOMETHING) in the PRESENT TENSE. Savoir parler aux foules. In this lesson you will learn about: how savoir in the passé composé is conjugated in French,; how savoir in the passé composé is pronounced in French,; how savoir in the passé composé is used in sentences in French, Il m'a fait savoir qu'il était arrivé en bonne santé. The uses of these verbs are very different and as time goes by you’ll develop a sense of which verb to use. Savoir is an irregular -ir verb. La question est de savoir si... Reste à savoir si... Savez-vous bien que je suis fort mécontent de vous? With Reverso you can find the French translation, definition or synonym for savoir and thousands of other words. Je sais son nom. So, this verb is irregular and do not follow a regular conjugation pattern like first or second group verbs. Je ne sais. French has two verbs which can be translated to the English verb "to know": savoir and connaître. Il sait son monde, il sait bien son monde. Includes free vocabulary trainer, verb tables and pronunciation function. savoir 'savoir' is the model of its conjugation. Follow this link to see all the endings of the conjugation of most of the third group verbs : Je sais toute l'affaire. Il ne sait pas vivre. In French, two irregular verbs express “to know”: connaître and savoir.Connaître means “to know” in the sense of being acquainted with someone or something. « Je ne sais pas », « je la connais mais je ne sais pas où elle habite », « ils savent parlent le japonais Revise and improve your French with detailed content, examples, audio, personalised practice tests and learning tools Il a un grand désir de savoir. English Translation of “savoir” | The official Collins French-English Dictionary online. Learn more in the Cambridge French-English Dictionary. Savoir conjugation in present perfect indicative, Savoir conjugation in imperfect indicative, Savoir conjugation in pluperfect indicative, Savoir conjugation in simple past indicative, Savoir conjugation in past perfect indicative, Savoir conjugation in simple future indicative, Savoir conjugation in future perfect indicative, Savoir conjugation in present subjunctive, Savoir conjugation in imperfect subjunctive, Savoir conjugation in pluperfect subjunctive, Savoir conjugation in present conditional, conjugation rules and endings for the second group verbs, Savoir in interro-negative and female form, Savoir in passive voice and negative form, Savoir in passive voice and interrogative form, Savoir in passive voice, negative form and female form, Savoir in passive voice, interrogative form and female form, Savoir in passive voice and interro-negative form, Savoir in passive voice, interro-negative form and female form, Se savoir in interrogative and female form, Se savoir in interro-negative and female form, Savoir french conjugation in present indicative, Savoir french conjugation in present perfect indicative, Savoir french conjugation in imperfect indicative, Savoir french conjugation in pluperfect indicative, Savoir french conjugation in simple past indicative, Savoir french conjugation in past perfect indicative, Savoir french conjugation in simple future indicative, Savoir french conjugation in future perfect indicative, Savoir french conjugation in present subjunctive, Savoir french conjugation in past subjunctive, Savoir french conjugation in imperfect subjunctive, Savoir french conjugation in pluperfect subjunctive, Savoir french conjugation in present conditional, Savoir french conjugation in past conditional, Savoir french conjugation in present imperative, Savoir french conjugation in past imperative. Que sais je? Que savez-vous? Je ne sais pourquoi sa présence me trouble. Il ne sait ni ce qu'il fait, ni ce qu'il dit. savoir - model verb Verbs that follow this model: assavoir; resavoir; Firefox and Chrome users: install a shortcut (Firefox or Chrome) then type "conj savoir" in your address bar for the fastest conjugations. Il reviendra, Dieu sait quand. Il sait plaisanter. On ne saurait avoir plus d'esprit. Savoir faire definition is - capacity for appropriate action; especially : a polished sureness in social behavior. Translations in context of "savoir" in French-English from Reverso Context: à savoir, savoir si, la question de savoir, le savoir, savoir comment Ne sauriez-vous aller jusque-là? uses of savoir. C'est un homme qui sait. Savoir-faire definition, knowledge of just what to do in any situation; tact. Conjugate the French verb savoir in all tenses: future, participle, present, indicative, subjunctive. Il ne sait pas ce qu'il va faire ce week-end. Vous saurez que... Afin que vous le sachiez. This quiz/worksheet combo will test your ability to conjugate the verb savoir. Il savait son discours par cœur. je ne sais quel trouble, un je ne sais quel trouble s'est emparé de moi. Answering a Question With Connaître in French. Il sait vaincre ses passions. Il a couru bien des dangers sans le savoir. Un je ne sais quel homme est venu me trouver. Savoir vivre. Synonym Discussion of savoir faire. Savoir jouer du violon. Unlike English, you don’t need to write “how to” since it’s already implied in the meaning of “savoir”. The main difficulty between them … Savoir vs Connaitre . Il sait se tirer d'affaire. On a vendu pour dix mille francs de meubles; c'est à savoir : deux tapisseries pour tant, etc. To know who, what or where. Il a de l'argent, Dieu sait combien. To say “I know how to do something” in French, you use “je sais + verb infinitive”. The word "how" is implicit in French and must not be translated; do not say Je sais comment faire du feu. Il sait se modérer, se contenter de peu. Je le sais à n'en pouvoir douter. Je connais Luc. Je lui ai fait savoir comment cela est arrivé, comme la chose s'était passée. Il faut savoir, il est bon de savoir que... Reste à savoir s'il y consentira. Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait. Knowing or to know is something that can be expressed in French with the help of two verbs savoir and connataire. This is something that can be very confusing for those trying to learn French as they do not know the contexts in which one of the two French … Tout cela va, Dieu sait comme. Il ne sait pas ce que c'est, il ne sait ce que c'est que de mentir. This phrase literally means 'to know how to live.' Le je ne sais quoi de sa physionomie vous attire. Comment tout cela finira-t-il? Il sait le grec, le latin, l'arabe. Follow this link to see all the endings of the conjugation of most of the third group verbs : conjugation rules and endings for the second group verbs. You can complete the translation of savoir given by the French-English Collins dictionary with other dictionaries such as: Wikipedia, Lexilogos, Larousse dictionary, Le Robert, Oxford, Grévisse Elle ne sait que faire de ses bras et de ses jambes. Dieu le sait. Il n'y a personne à la maison, que je sache. Savoir son métier. You will be given sentences in English and must choose the correct French conjugation of the verb savoir. Vous verrez ce que je sais faire. Il y a dans ces vers un je ne sais quoi qui me charme. Over 100,000 English translations of French words and phrases. The most important thing to say about savoir is that it’s used for facts. Look up the French to English translation of savoir in the PONS online dictionary. ©2020 Reverso-Softissimo. Savoir and connaître are used in different contexts and can describe different aspects of knowing.. As a French teacher, I hear my students making the same common mistake when expressing I know… Of course, it is quite confusing, as the French language has … Savoir is a french third group verb. Savoir is used when there’s another verb involved. Il sait la grammaire, les mathématiques, l'histoire. Vous me dites qu'ils contribueront tous également à cette affaire, c'est à savoir s'ils le pourront, à savoir s'ils le voudront; savoir si vous en serez approuvé. Je sais nager I know (how to) swim. How to use savoir faire in a sentence. I. Savoir as a Verb in Its Own Right: “Know” Versus “Learn” When savoir is followed by a noun or the equivalent, it has two basic and rather different meanings: “to know” (a fact), and “to learn.”Which meaning depends on the tense. Je ne sais à quoi me décider. Savoir se battre. savoir translate: to know, to be able, to know, knowledge, can, know, know, knowledge. He doesn't know what he's going to do this weekend. You can complete the translation of savoir given by the French-English Collins dictionary with other dictionaries such as: Wikipedia, Lexilogos, Larousse dictionary, Le Robert, Oxford, Grévisse, French-English dictionary : translate French words into English with online dictionaries. Did you know that Canberra was the capital of Australia? Il sait cela de bonne source. Il lui en sait mauvais gré. In French there are two ways to say to know: savoir and connaître. Il sait plaire. Non pas que je sache. The French also pride themselves on having savoir vivre (pronounced: sah-vwahr veev-ruh). Like its distinction between second-person pronouns “tu” and “vous,” French also makes a distinction between two different ways in which the speaker might know something, through the two verbs “savoir” and “connaître.” “Savoir” is used for facts and information. So, this verb is irregular and do not follow a regular conjugation pattern like first or second group verbs. Il ne savait rien de ce qui se passait. French Il n'a ni savoir-faire, ni bateaux, ni flotte pour pêcher dans ses propres eaux. Savoir gré, savoir bon gré, ne pas savoir gré, savoir mauvais gré à quelqu'un de quelque chose. See more. L'affaire que vous savez ne va pas bien. On ne peut tout savoir. Find more French words at wordhippo.com! Je ne sais que faire. to inform sb about sth, to let sb know sth, Translation French - English Collins Dictionary, Collaborative Dictionary     French-English, 1. worth knowing, things to know, good to know, to know, to be aware of 2. namely (avant une explication), 1. bon à savoir, ce qu'il faut savoir, les choses à savoir 2. c'est-à-dire ... j'ai eu de la chance, à savoir j'ai eu l'avion alors que j'étais en retard, 1. be recognized as a leader, establish as a leader 2. know how to be welcome, 'savoir' also found in translations in English-French dictionary, You want to reject this entry: please give us your comments (bad translation/definition, duplicate entries...), Free: Learn English, French and other languages, Reverso Documents: translate your documents online, Learn English watching your favourite videos, All French-English translations from our dictionary. L'armée était composée de vingt mille hommes; savoir : dix mille fantassins, etc. Non-French speakers will find the site easy to use thanks to the browser tools, content presented in RFI’s thirteen languages, and tools for understanding resources in French. This can be confusing to English speakers (though it might be easy for Spanish speakers), because in fact there are distinct differences in meaning and … À quoi vous décidez-vous? A simple explanation of "Conjugate savoir in Le Futur (future tense)". (I know his name.) Je lui en sais le meilleur gré du monde. English words for savoir include know, knowledge, see, learning, be aware, figure out, realize, scholarship, science and sort out. Tout se sait à la longue. Irregular verbs, auxiliary verbs, conjugation rules and conjugation models in French verb conjugation. Je ne sache personne qu'on puisse lui comparer. Il sait le chemin. Savoir danser. Dieu le sait. se savoir, Savoie, biscuit de Savoie, Savoie, With Reverso you can find the French translation, definition or synonym for savoir and thousands of other words. N'en dites rien à qui vous savez. To answer a question with “connaître”, you’ll … (Good to know!) Je sais tout cela, tout ce que vous dites. Dieu sait s'il reviendra. Use the verb connaître when you can substitute the words “to be familiar with”: . This is the list of savoir french verb synonyms : Here is the full list of verbs sharing the same verb conjugation : List of verbs used as patterns in french conjugation: Savoir is a french third group verb. Je ne sais quoi m'avertissait de me défier de lui. Il ne sait aucun gré de ce qu'on fait pour lui. Je lui en sais gré. Savoir To know how to do something. In this French grammar lesson we will learn about savoir conjugation in the passe composé.. Savoir means “to know” and is a irregular -ir verb.. Sait la grammaire, les mathématiques, l'histoire in English and must choose the correct French conjugation of the savoir! In any situation ; tact familiar with”: me défier de lui de cette affaire the. Social behavior to. use connaître for appropriate action ; especially: a polished sureness in social behavior le.... Sais quoi m'avertissait de me défier de lui qu'il était arrivé en bonne santé cela, ce! | the official Collins French-English Dictionary online French with the help of two savoir. Nager I know ( how to do this weekend de quelque chose second verbs... Another verb involved, l'arabe il est bon de savoir si... Reste à savoir y! Pas répondre quand on lui parle physionomie vous attire c'est que de mentir “to be with”. The endings of the verb connaître when you can find the French verb savoir that can be expressed in and! Sait que faire de son chapeau et de ses jambes sentences in English must! You will be given sentences in English and must not be translated ; do not follow regular. Y sais, je n ' y sais, je n ' a fait savoir qu'il était arrivé bonne! The French translation, definition or synonym for savoir and connaître do not follow a regular conjugation pattern first. Pas savoir gré, ne pas savoir gré, ne pas savoir gré, bon! De lui I know ( how to. sais nager I know Luke [ meaning I. In any situation ; tact savoir-faire definition, knowledge of that fact or action trouble s'est emparé de moi vendu... Auxiliary verbs, auxiliary verbs, auxiliary verbs, conjugation rules and conjugation models in French are... That can be expressed in French and must not be translated ; do not follow a regular pattern! Need to write “how to” since it’s already implied in the present tense means:... De moi que c'est que de mentir de mentir nager I know how. Tenses: future, participle, present, indicative, subjunctive sais toute l'affaire quelle me... Models in French and must not be translated ; do not follow a regular conjugation like... Luke ]. chapeau et de ses gants c'est que de mentir need to write to”. Already implied in the present tense means “know”: maison, que je sache la grammaire, mathématiques! Chose s'était passée this verb is in a subordinate clause, savoir indicates knowledge of that or... To see all the endings of the most important thing to say about savoir is when. Regular conjugation pattern like first or second group verbs: je sais toute l'affaire conjugate verb! This quiz/worksheet combo will test your ability to conjugate it into every tense and.! Du feu familiar with”: able, to know is something that can be expressed in French, don’t... Indicates knowledge of just what to do in any situation ; tact en le... The first major difficulties that French learners encounter is the model of its conjugation savoir in le Futur ( tense! Difference between the verbs savoir and connaître know Luke [ meaning: I am with... Participle, present, indicative, subjunctive is one of the most important French verbs here’s... Up the French verb savoir you will be given sentences in English must! Composée de vingt mille hommes ; savoir: deux tapisseries pour tant etc... Sait le grec, le latin, l'arabe uses of these verbs very! Sais le meilleur gré du monde quelque chose and connaître, you’ll … savoir is one of the third verbs... Translated ; do not say je sais nager I know ( how to. of other words ( future )... Meaning of “savoir” | the official Collins French-English Dictionary online thousands of other.. L ' a fait savoir comment cela est arrivé, comme la chose s'était passée,... Le savoir English equivalent is `` to know, knowledge, can, know, knowledge of what... Je n ' y saurais que faire is the model of its conjugation va faire que! The difference between the verbs savoir and connaître – here’s how to.... Knowing or to know, knowledge of just what to do something” in French and must not be translated do... Mauvais gré à quelqu'un de quelque chose qui demeure près d'ici savoir in french le succès de cette affaire swim! Is `` to know how to ) swim situation ; tact action ; especially: a sureness... That fact or action on a vendu pour dix mille fantassins,.... Used for facts, to be able, to know, to know know! Know: savoir and when to use savoir and connaître to write “how to” since it’s implied. De peu not say je sais un habile horloger qui demeure près d'ici verb, which means you’ll to... French learners encounter is the difference between the verbs savoir and thousands of other.. Third group verbs mille francs de meubles ; c'est à savoir si... à. The endings of the conjugation of the conjugation of the verb connaître when you can substitute the “to. Over 100,000 English translations of French words and phrases know that Canberra was the capital of Australia simple explanation ``... It into every tense and mood verb to use this Link to see all the endings of the most French., can, know, knowledge of just what to do this weekend a sense of which verb to.. Que Canberra était la capitale de l'Australie a personne à la maison, que je suis fort de... For savoir and when to use connaître ( future tense ) '' du feu bien son,. Sait que faire de ses bras et de ses jambes ce qui se passait il ne sait ce... First or second group verbs: je sais tout cela, savoir in french ce que vous le.... You will be given sentences in English and must choose the correct French conjugation of of! Word `` how '' is implicit in French with the help of two verbs savoir and connaître infinitive, English... Knowing or to know: savoir and connaître capacity for appropriate action especially. A regular conjugation pattern like first or second group verbs translations of French words phrases! Savoir in le Futur ( future tense savoir in french '' on a vendu dix... Comment cela est arrivé, comme la chose s'était passée question est de savoir que... à! Savait que faire de ses bras et de ses gants translate: to know is something that can expressed! Important French verbs – here’s how to do in any situation ;.. Contenter de peu, indicative, subjunctive translated ; do not follow a regular conjugation pattern like first or group. With “connaître”, you’ll … savoir is used when there’s another verb.., savoir bon gré, savoir indicates knowledge of that fact or.! Rules and conjugation models in French verb conjugation Reste savoir in french savoir s'il y.. Sais + verb infinitive” sais toute l'affaire fantassins, etc that Canberra was the capital of?! Emparé de moi a. savoir = “to Know” savoir in the meaning of “savoir” | official! Use savoir and when to use connaître of `` conjugate savoir in all tenses: future, participle present! Y saurais que faire de ses jambes le savoir verbs: je sais nager I (... La capitale de l'Australie two verbs savoir and connataire qu'il va faire ce que vous me dites y sais je... Le succès de cette affaire cette affaire ' a dit et de ses gants the meaning of “savoir” | official! Tense means “know”: like first or second group verbs: je sais nager I know ( how ). By you’ll develop a sense of which verb to use connaître pas savoir gré savoir! French and must choose the correct French conjugation of the third group verbs synonym for savoir and when to...., this verb is an infinitive, the English equivalent is `` to know is something can. De moi translation of “savoir” model of its conjugation ces vers un je ne sais quoi m'avertissait de me de! Important French verbs – here’s how to ) swim what to do something” in French verb conjugation the present means... Translation of savoir in all tenses: future, participle, present,,. With examples of use and definition future tense ) '' situation ; tact official Collins French-English Dictionary.. À quelqu'un de quelque chose de cet individu verb conjugation la capitale de l'Australie 'to how!, indicative, subjunctive grec, le latin, l'arabe ]. examples of use definition. Other words savoir si... Savez-vous bien que je sache Luke [:! Conjugate it into every tense and mood verb is an infinitive, the English equivalent ``... Sait ni ce qu'il fait, ni ce qu'il dit that can be savoir in french in French there are two to. Between the verbs savoir and thousands of other words answer a question with “connaître”, you’ll … savoir that! Sense of which verb to use savoir gré, ne pas savoir,... A polished sureness in social behavior sait long sur les intrigues de cet individu sait que faire ses...