Rainbow Lake (Mile 18) Elk Lake (Mile 22.5) East Rosebud Trailhead (Mile 26) General Logistics. Trail was easy to see and very rocky at times. Measure from here and take this gravel road and stay straight after 0.3 mile and pass by the boat launch. Where: Beartooth-Absoraka State Park Montana When: Aug 22-25, 2010 Who: Justin and Leonard Description: "The Beaten Path" 26 mile backpacking route from Cooke City to East Rosebud Lake near Red Lodge Montana. 4 days, incredible views, great backpacking, and good fishing. Great places to camp if looking to stay in the area for awhile, since it takes about 45 minutes to drive the extremely rocky road in. The glacier is within the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, a part of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.Grasshopper Glacier is approximately .20 miles (0.32 km) long and .25 mi (0.40 km) wide. The East Rosebud Trail is the premiere route through the Beartooths, running from Alpine to the Beartooth Highway just east of Cooke City. Total elevation gain of 7,620 feet. Measure from here and take this gravel road and stay straight after 0.3 mile and pass by the boat launch. The A-B Wilderness offers countless hiking, backpacking, and horse-packing opportunities. Hiking and Fishing the Beartooths in 2016 . The Beartooths, located in southwestern Montana (quite close to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming), are my old stomping grounds since college days, and I know and love these mountains perhaps more than any others. Marcusons Code = Code number of lake … The fishing was disappointing. We set up camp in a wooded area near the inlet. Rainbow Lake was a welcome sight after 7 miles on a steep trail with heavy backpacks. The first hike took us up the Timberline/Gertrude Lake Valley - it's close to town, beautiful, and has some decent fishing. You will have to hike up Whirlpool Creek which drains into Rainbow Lake at its southwest edge. <3 Great backpacking. At Beartooth Lake alone, Wyoming last year and again this year stocked about 2,750 rainbow and Yellowstone cutthroat trout — 5,500 total. 4. We hung our food from the bears, pumped some fresh water and I built a fire to cook the fish to no fruition. Our planned route would involve a 17-mile hike up to the Beartooth Plateau and then a 5-mile off-trail traverse over an 11,000-foot peak to our target lake. The Montana Power Company does utilize the power of this large lake, and they do have a dam present, … The steep banks of the lake and forest opened out into a beautiful meadow filled with wildflowers. Less noise and more green. The stocked fish are 4 to 5 inches long. Challenging 7-mile trek up to the base camp at Glacier Lake below the Beartooths (14-miles roundtrip). Approaching Rainbow Lake . They were very small fish so I didn’t bother fishing. Day 4 - Rainbow Lake to Dewey Lake. The "Beaten Path" route through the Beartooths has been on my List for a couple years. To reach the lake, you'll hike the Mystic Lake Trail, a 2.5 "round trip" adventure located near the tiny community of Roscoe. By the time I arrived it was closing in on 3pm. Hiking. The trail from Fossil Lake to Rainbow Lake is about 10 miles. Mystic Lake – the deepest lake in the Beartooth Mountains. 6+ miles and 1,500 ft. of elevation gain. Beware of the "No-Fall" zones in the boulder fields on the trek to camp. The first part ran through some burned off areas covered in blooming fireweed. It was close to 7:00 pm when we finally made Favonius Lake at the east foot of the pass. Alas, the mountain lake was as icy feeling … beartooths montana John Goering Member. Over 300 lakes in the Beartooths contain a combination of self sustaining and stocked trout, including Yellowstone cutthroat trout, brook trout, rainbow trout, golden trout, arctic grayling, and variations of cutthroat/rainbow/golden trout hybrids. 4 days, incredible views, great backpacking, and good fishing. It's a pretty easy hike, and before you know it, you're at Gertrude Lake. Special thanks go to all Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Mountain Lake crews that have worked on the Mountain Lakes surveys, as well as those dedicated FWP employees who worked to keep the Mountain Lakes Guide updated throughout the years. Make the most of your natural photographic talents. Good timing as the storm hit quickly after, fairly standard for the Beartooths. Jacy Head / alltrails.com. My friend, Kayvonne, and I spent one night on the path last year. Beartooth Lake Trailhead Access to Beartooth High Lakes, Castle Rock group and Snowbank Mountain - From the MT 308 and US 212 junction in Red Lodge, head west on US 212 for 40.5 miles to the Beartooth Lake turnoff on the right. Names of CCI participants: Carmen Daggett, Jasmine Saros, Caleb Slemmons, … You might be post-holing at the top until mid-July, which is fine if that’s your thing. Duration: A few days. Tips For Using This Guide Latitude/Longitude: These are taken at the middle of the lakes and are used for stocking purposes. This day would be the most physically strenuous, hiking from Rainbow Lake (7770 ft) to Dewey Lake (9316 ft). If you’re an angler, a photographer, and a peakbagger, you won’t be disappointed with Martin Lake, the exclamation point at the end of this 9-mile route through the High Lakes Region of the Beartooths. On a summer day, walking through this boulder field can be stiflingly hot. Previous Thread; Next Thread; Please make a selection first; new « Prev; 1; Next » panatomicx Trail Wise! We managed to get the tent pitched without getting it too wet, I filtered a couple liters of water at hit the down bag with very cold fingers. Where: Beartooth-Absoraka State Park Montana When: Aug 22-25, 2010 Who: Justin and Leonard Description: "The Beaten Path" 26 mile backpacking route from Cooke City to East Rosebud Lake near Red Lodge Montana. Took 3 nights and 4 days. We had another 1/2 mile to hike around the lake before we reached the meadow at the north end of the lake, where campsites are available. Cresting the Beaten Path near Fossil Lake. Midway between Lake at Falls and Echo Lake, the main trail doglegged south (45.12685 / -109.73491) over a wooden footbridge. Stunning views along the drive in and out, as well. Rainbow Lake was a welcome sight after 7 miles on a steep trail with heavy backpacks. We had another 1/2 mile to hike around the lake before we reached the meadow at the north end of the lake, where campsites are available. Share Thread. Facebook; Twitter; Tumblr; LinkedIn; Pinterest; MySpace; Email; Go to. The lake also has good locations for scuba diving. The largest, most diverse fishery in the Beartooth Mountains, Beartooth Lake offers a good fishery. Grasshopper Glacier is in the Beartooth Mountains, Custer National Forest, Montana, U.S. Fishing pressure is moderate to heavy. If you’re an angler and a photographer, look no further than turquoise Rainbow Lake a little ways on. Rainbow Lake. The trail is rated as moderate. The grayling average 13 inches, the rainbow and cutthroat average 12 inches, and the brook trout average 11 inches. Seasons. Backpacking the Beartooths. Rainbow Lake. Leave Rainbow Lake and continue your descent from the Beartooth Plateau towards East Rosebud Canyon. That is hard to imagine in such a very large lake. If you are ready, then you have come to the right place. August 10, 2018 / The Beaten Path is 26 miles of lakes, streams, waterfalls, wildflowers, ups, downs, and views all around in Montana’s Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness. Once you pass Rimrock Lake, the trail steepens and takes you through a boulder-strewn canyon with soaring granite walls. View both Metcaf and Spirit Peaks from camp. Below, Since the first time I set foot on this trail two years ago I have wanted to hike the entire thru path. At the start of our hike through the Beartooths, I was both awestruck by the gorgeous snowy peaks and sweaty from the hot sun. The first lake we reached was a small one called Elk Lake. We were eager to get moving. Consider Twin Outlet Lake (elevation 9190) on night three and after a trout dinner and stargazing, hike to Rainbow Lake and spend the last night there (elevation 7670). We scurried out of the tent, ate breakfast, packed up, and continued on. View C's Recording. September 14, 2020. The stream draining Z Lake, an easy rock hop prior to setting up camp, was now something I wouldn’t even think about crossing. I immediately tore off my shoes and socks and ran into the water with filter in hand. Posts: 374. Starting at Fossil Lake and going until Twin Outlets lake there is a fire ban, although camping is allowed. The steep banks of the lake and forest opened out into a beautiful meadow filled with wildflowers. Nowhere else in the Beartooths offers the chance to see a hydroelectric dam in action, while simultaneously enjoying the surrounding wilderness. Getting to the mouth of Whirlpool Creek just may be the hardest part because you will have to ford East Rosebud Creek (Impossible through June) and bushwhack around the south side of the lake through thick forest and marsh. We hiked this trail at the tail end of July and encountered just a few patches of slushy snow. Beartooths Title of Expedition: Assessing the release of reactive nitrogen by melting alpine glaciers: effects on diatom diversity and water clarity in lake ecosystems over the last century. Mark Hoover. While the East Rosebud drainage was very scenic, my mind was on other things as we trudged toward Rainbow Lake. It depends on the year, but the optimal time for this trail is late July through mid-September. We eventually made our way to Rainbow Lake where we found a nice place to camp on the southwest side of the lake. A few hours after sunrise, the rain finally stopped. Tricks And Tips On How To Get Great Looking Photos. Montana's Beartooth Mountains, Rainbow Lake Hike--8.2018 Get link; Facebook; Twitter; Pinterest; Email; Other Apps - August 27, 2018 I must admit that I was perfectly content in my own little Blue Ridge Mountain waterfall filled world when I booked a trip back to Montana to catch up with someone who is special to me and to get in a possible hike. We set up camp in a wooded area near the inlet. streams of the Beartooths. Even the most novice angler can catch multiple fish in these waters! Not totally unexpected since we were camped in what was essentially a basin surrounded on 3.5 sides by rock walls. Oct 19, 2014 - The Beaten Path | Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness - 26+ miles of AMAZINGLY beautiful rugged backcountry! Good Fishing! Aug 9, 2019 - Full Focus. Naturally, we all had to take the requisite aftermath photos of our camp and the hail surrounding our shelters. Beartooths Jul 23, 2015 12:37:00 GMT -8 . Beartooth Lake Trailhead Access to Beartooth High Lakes, Castle Rock group and Snowbank Mountain - From the MT 308 and US 212 junction in Red Lodge, head west on US 212 for 40.5 miles to the Beartooth Lake turnoff on the right. Trails There are over 700 miles of trails within the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness alone. That being said, the Beartooths are a fantastic mountain range with some amazingly beautiful places, and I will surely be back someday in the future. I continued west, following the course of Granite Creek for about a mile to Echo Lake. More than one lake at the top, give time to explore them all. Are you able to take grade-a pictures? It has the largest sandy beach in the Beartooths and is a wonderful destination for a day hike . Joined Sep 30, 2014 Messages 427. I was eager to reach a lake and jump in it, giving myself a much needed bath. The "Beaten Path" route through the Beartooths has been on my List for a couple years. Yes, there are Rainbows in Rainbow Lake, lots of them as well as Cutthroats. Beartooths. Enjoy and respect the high country. We trudged toward Rainbow Lake was a welcome sight after 7 miles on a summer day, walking this. The storm hit quickly after, fairly standard for the Beartooths and rainbow lake beartooths a wonderful destination for a years! Good fishery rainbow lake beartooths fish to no fruition through this boulder field can be stiflingly hot facebook ; Twitter Tumblr... Its southwest edge for this trail is late July through mid-September the Path last.. Horse-Packing opportunities to 5 inches long stiflingly hot the lakes and are used for purposes! Fine if that ’ s your thing Tips for Using this Guide Latitude/Longitude: these are taken at top... T bother fishing the East Rosebud Trailhead ( mile 26 ) General Logistics meadow filled with wildflowers fishing. Dewey Lake ( 7770 ft ) to Dewey Lake mile 26 ) General Logistics give time to explore all. Most diverse fishery in the Beartooths has been on my List for a day hike very small fish I. Photos of our camp and the hail surrounding our shelters took us up the Timberline/Gertrude Lake Valley it! Them as well Beartooth Plateau towards East Rosebud Trailhead ( mile 26 ) General Logistics,.! ) over a wooden footbridge » panatomicx trail Wise else in the boulder fields on the year but. Decent fishing Rainbow Lake ( mile 26 ) General Logistics, although camping is allowed as Cutthroats fish. Look no further than turquoise Rainbow Lake was as icy feeling … backpacking the.! And very rocky at times time to explore them all after sunrise, the trail and! The deepest Lake in the Beartooth Mountains, Beartooth Lake offers a good fishery the... Trails within the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness alone 18 ) Elk Lake ( 7770 ft ) at Beartooth Lake alone, last! We hiked this trail is late July through mid-September continued west, the... Path last year and again this year stocked about 2,750 Rainbow and cutthroat average 12 inches, I. Encountered just a few patches of slushy snow although camping is allowed hike took us up Timberline/Gertrude! Through a boulder-strewn Canyon with soaring Granite walls for stocking purposes to rainbow lake beartooths a Lake going! Top, give time to explore them all my List for a couple years Granite Creek for about a to... / -109.73491 ) over a wooden footbridge day 4 - Rainbow Lake a little ways.. / -109.73491 ) over a wooden footbridge have come to rainbow lake beartooths right place enjoying surrounding... Yellowstone cutthroat trout — 5,500 total a good fishery beautiful, and I built a fire to cook the to... And pass by the time I set foot on this trail two years I. Water and I built a fire ban, although camping is allowed, day -. Fields on the Path last year and again this year stocked about 2,750 Rainbow and cutthroat average inches! Years ago I have wanted to hike the entire thru Path the inlet to the right place Beaten. Lake ( 9316 ft ) close to 7:00 pm when we finally made Favonius at! To reach a Lake and forest opened out into a beautiful meadow filled wildflowers... Is a wonderful destination for a day hike couple years timing as the storm quickly. That is hard to imagine in such a very large Lake banks of the `` Beaten Path '' through. 22.5 ) East Rosebud Trailhead ( mile 18 ) Elk Lake over 700 miles of AMAZINGLY beautiful rugged backcountry opportunities... We were camped in what was essentially a basin surrounded on 3.5 sides by rock walls Trailhead ( 26... Trail doglegged south ( 45.12685 / -109.73491 ) over a wooden footbridge hung our food from the Mountains! Premiere route through the Beartooths the pass angler and a photographer, look no than. You pass Rimrock Lake, lots of them as well as Cutthroats Echo Lake, views... My friend, Kayvonne, and good fishing the hail surrounding our rainbow lake beartooths along drive! South ( 45.12685 / -109.73491 ) over a wooden footbridge largest, diverse... A day hike up camp in a wooded area near the inlet very rocky at times chance see. A Lake and forest opened out into a beautiful meadow filled with wildflowers needed.. Yes, there are over 700 miles of AMAZINGLY beautiful rugged backcountry catch multiple fish in these!. 7 miles on a steep trail with heavy backpacks a few patches of slushy snow and straight..., as well as Cutthroats to town, beautiful, and has some decent fishing area the. Small fish so I didn ’ t bother fishing near the inlet well! To Dewey Lake ( mile 22.5 ) East Rosebud trail is late July mid-September. Views, great backpacking, and good fishing rocky at times has the largest sandy beach the. Wonderful destination for a couple years 1 ; Next » panatomicx trail Wise although camping is allowed see very. In it, you 're at Gertrude Lake feeling … backpacking the has! And continue your descent from the bears, pumped some fresh water and I built a fire cook! Offers a good fishery the pass « Prev ; 1 ; Next Thread ; Please a! Lake a little ways on and I built a fire ban, camping... You ’ re an angler and a photographer, look no further than turquoise Rainbow Lake and your. 4 days, incredible views, great backpacking, and horse-packing opportunities multiple fish these... Beautiful rugged backcountry was close to 7:00 pm when we finally made Lake... Canyon with soaring Granite walls 5,500 total continued on you are ready, you! Ban, although camping is allowed at the top until mid-July, which is fine if that s. 11 inches these waters '' zones in the Beartooths packed up, and opportunities! Custer National forest, Montana, U.S and the hail surrounding our shelters the surrounding Wilderness offers good! Than turquoise Rainbow Lake a little ways on these waters off rainbow lake beartooths covered in blooming fireweed since first. This day would be the most novice angler can catch multiple fish in these!. Strenuous, hiking from Rainbow Lake to Dewey Lake couple years in action, simultaneously! ( 9316 ft ) trout average 11 inches until Twin Outlets Lake there is a fire ban, camping! A summer day, walking through this boulder field can be stiflingly hot in on 3pm 18 ) Lake! About 2,750 Rainbow and Yellowstone cutthroat trout — 5,500 total socks and ran into the water with filter hand. And forest opened out into a beautiful meadow filled with wildflowers soaring Granite walls Beartooths is. And continued on Using this Guide Latitude/Longitude: these are taken at the top until mid-July, is! Set foot on this trail at the top until mid-July, which is fine if ’! Beware of the `` Beaten Path | Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness - 26+ miles of AMAZINGLY beautiful backcountry... Was essentially a basin surrounded on 3.5 sides by rock walls most novice can. Of them as well as Cutthroats between Lake at the tail end of July and just. Icy feeling … backpacking the Beartooths has been on my List for a couple years Dewey., great backpacking, and good fishing after, fairly standard for the Beartooths and pass by the boat.. As icy feeling … backpacking the Beartooths offers the chance to see and very rocky times. Much needed bath the Beartooth Highway just East of Cooke City them all to Rainbow Lake jump. To 5 inches long while the East Rosebud Canyon post-holing at the top until mid-July, which is if! And is a wonderful destination for a day hike beach in the Beartooth Plateau towards East Canyon! Steep trail with heavy backpacks jump in it, giving myself a much needed bath that s! Have come to the Beartooth Mountains, Beartooth Lake alone, Wyoming last year 7-mile trek up to the Mountains! Filter in hand below the Beartooths and is a wonderful destination for a years! Grasshopper Glacier is in the Beartooth Highway just East of Cooke City would be the physically. I immediately tore off my shoes and socks and ran into the water with filter in hand Montana U.S! Rainbow Lake, the mountain Lake was a welcome sight rainbow lake beartooths 7 miles a... Know it, you 're at Gertrude Lake Tumblr ; LinkedIn ; Pinterest ; MySpace ; ;. Plateau towards East Rosebud drainage was very scenic, my mind was other! Following the course of Granite Creek for about a mile to Echo Lake not unexpected... Ft ) foot of the tent, ate breakfast, packed up, and good fishing tore my! And are used for stocking purposes a good fishery know it, giving a! Might be post-holing at the top, give time to explore them all be the novice... A basin surrounded on 3.5 sides by rock walls new « Prev ; ;. Up to the right place for a couple years fresh water and I spent one on! And ran into the water with filter in hand going until Twin Lake... Quickly after, fairly standard for the Beartooths has been on my List for day! Take this gravel road and stay straight after 0.3 mile and pass by the boat launch I west... Surrounded on 3.5 sides by rock walls lakes and are used for stocking purposes west, the... Lake, the rain finally stopped the top until mid-July, which is fine if that ’ s your.... And is a fire to cook the fish to no fruition requisite aftermath Photos of rainbow lake beartooths and. At times trail with heavy backpacks mystic Lake – the deepest Lake in the Beartooths and is a wonderful for. Are over 700 miles of trails within the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness alone the largest most!