Or just get a new one.. Temp sender unit is faulty: Remove the sender unit wire and earth it against the bodywork and the gauge should go straight up to hot. The car running hot but not overheating shows the malfunctioning in the temperature gauge. You pretty much changed everything else already. Some thermostat housings have a small bleed screw to make this easier. This could be as simple as a bad electrical connection between the temp sensor and the rest of the electrical system. If your engine is not overheating, but you have been getting a high-temperature gauge reading, then what should you do. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. o do? Over the years the configuration of the car temperature gauge has not changed much. I'm a single gal who doesn't want to be taken advantage of...any ideas? What is this swastika looking symbol in John Hancock's family papers from circa 1762. You know the most common reason for an overheating engine is lack of coolant, but you also now know that sometimes the temperature gauge might give false readings. How a Temperature Gauge or Warning Light Works. It is an important dial that is located on the dashboard of your vehicle. All hose temperatures read normal, New water pump, thermostats & housing, sensor, hoses, shroud, radiator flow is normal! It only takes a minute to sign up. The dash gauge is designed to show "normal" through a range of temps. That build up does not allow the heat to disperse as the water flows throw the radiator. :o), Temp Gauge reads car overheating…engine temp. By the way, I do really appreciate the help! Your call if it worth going to a dealer. Minimum tech level required to outrun a terminator? Your Accord is equipped with a temperature gauge that shows you how hot or cold the engine coolant is. It should have said pcm. If this was the case, wouldn't the heat gun show the engine over heating? This gauge will tell you if your engine’s coolant is cold, normal, or overheating. The crazy thing is that when I pull over to check the engine the temperature is completely normal. Why triplets for whole movement rather than writing it in say 6/8? If there are small bubbles bursting, it isn't bled yet. Signal can go to the pm then to the gauge, it may go to a body module then to the gauge. Is it unethical to accidentally benefit from online material in a take-home exam? It's a simple process that may not solve your problem, but can't hurt. Does the gauge immediately rise to "hot" even when the engine is completely cold? 1. It kept overheating and I changed EVERYTHING. If it had never moved to the hot part before and they did, then it might have got in to build up causing it to get stuck there after overheating for real. “Normal” temperature reading can vary from vehicle to vehicle so don’t be alarmed where yours settles. Stewart water pump, radiator, pulleys, belts, tensioners, hoses, BMW coolant, thermostat, bolts fan switch, but not the fan. 2005 Pontiac Vibe wagon...over 300,000 no issues until recently. site design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. If it's NOT overheating its not the pump. Your email address will not be published. Set the HVAC temperature to full hot, with a middle fan speed. A false reading might also happen if the sensor is damaged or dying. Normally your temperature gauge should read around the middle, and this is normal. What t Sorry...we did that to...I just looked at the receipt....any chance it's the pump? Especially if the sensor is in the very top of a housing, where air may accumulate. Keep adding coolant mix to keep all radiator fins covered - just below the filler neck. There are a handful of common reasons why your temperature gauge might be reading high. overheating with normal temp on gauge my car gets hot and and occasionally smokes, i smell a burning coolant smell - Mitsubishi 2001 Eclipse Spyder question. Every other components in d bonnet also get so heat up. Also, if you have just had your coolant changed or flushed, then make sure air didn’t get in the system. If so, you still have to track down the problem, but you know what you are looking for! Your car has a handful of gauges on the dash, and it is important that they all work right because they tell you the key things about your car. Temperature Gauge is Normal. It is an important piece of information you need to have available at all times. The ideal engine temperature should be somewhere between 195 and 220 degrees. I recently replaced the radiator and my fans do work. Observe the coolant in the neck of the radiator fill. Temp gauge is straight up at 12:00 o'clock. Engine hot light but temp gauge on dash reads normal 3 Answers. At this point, is it worth going to a dealership for a diagnostic? On our last trip I watched the factory gauge stay between the "N" and the "O" and the aftermarket gauge go from 195 to 220. In general, park the car on a slope such that the front wheels are slightly higher than the rear (driving "uphill'). Your email address will not be published. Some of these gauges it is pretty easy to understand why they are important such as the fuel gauge because you need to know how much gas you have so you don’t run out, but others can be a little harder to understand why they matter such as the RPM gauge or engine temperature gauge. Another would be to use a scan tool to read the temperature from the ECT on the engine itself and the last would be to install a mechanical gauge into the cooling system to measure it on a temperature scale instead of the OEM cold normal hot gauge. Passenger Cars, Mini Vans, SUV Service and Repairs. Sometimes u even feel d heat under d dashboard area while driving. If you have checked these things and really think that your engine isn’t overheating, then you can move on to some of the other causes of a temperature gauge reading hot, but it is important to take the reading serious first to prevent damage to your engine before you just think it is a false reading. Is there a good strategy to achieve a draw? You also know that false readings can also be caused by a failed temperature sensor. 15 Quick Tips To Improve Gas Mileage For You. If it seems like the engine is running hotter than normal but the temperature gauge isn’t indicating that it’s overheating, it could be an issue with the temp sensor being faulty. Your mechanic needs to find this out and go from there. For most cars, the normal operating engine temperature is in a range of 195 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, though most dashboard temperature gauges don’t show an … Single Din vs Double Din- What Is Different? Sorry, typo. The temperature gauge is made up of moving parts, and anything with moving parts can sometimes break. Drove for a day or two and problem came back. The temperature gauge reading starts out as a reference voltage that is sent to the coolant temperature sensor.This sensor is nothing more than a thermistor-- a variable resistor that changes resistance with temperature changes.As the coolant temperature rises or falls, the resistance of … Thank you! An engine is operating normally when the needle points at the center or near the center of the gauge. The gauge has different gears inside of it that are responsible for moving the needle. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. That would mean your gauge at least works. Don’t worry if the needle does not exactly sit in the middle of the gauge. During normal operation, it should stay in the middle of the range. It can provide you with an early warning of a potential problem — and on rare occasions, it can even malfunction. (No Trucks) - temp gauge reading hot but the engine runs fine - my temp gauge on 94 blazer 5.7 goes from normal to hot … I can get in my car and drive on the highway or around town and the temperature gauge will read completely normal, but after about 20 minutes the needle will start to rise getting as high as the red. How to prevent whitespace associated with items in the statusline from taking up space, when the item is not shown? Simply observe, with the engine idling and warmed up to normal operating temperature, that the level of the coolant in the recovery/reserve bottle is between the FULL HOT and ADD marks.. The most common reason for your temperature gauge to read hot is that the engine really is overheating. When the bubbles stop, cap the radiator BEFORE you turn the vehicle off. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. How does everyone not become poor over time? Over time these gears can wear and if one breaks then the needle may move incorrectly. I have a 2001 mustang v6 that runs slightly warm at highway speeds only, especially at higher speeds of 70 mph or more. Appeal process for being designated a "Terrorist Group" (Canada), Mathematica cannot seem to properly handle times in the 1 hour before clocks go back. Most experts agree that your engine should run between 195 degrees and 220 degrees. Took a … Also, if the wires are damaged or it has a short, then this could cause a false reading. Why does starship flip vertical at the last moment instead of earlier. All new parts, cooling system runs for about 5 miles at 175 to 185 degrees then goes up to 245 to 250 in 10 seconds! Also you may want to find another mechanic. Find out what it is and have my mechanic fix the issue as dealerships are expensive. Life is too short to drive with stock audio. Both fans run constantly ,but, the engine runs at normal operating temp. It's an electrical concern. The first is if you did overheat your engine and the needle somehow got stuck in the hot section. Connect a OBD2 scanner and see that the computer temp sensor (ECT) says. Over time gunk might get into where the needle is, and this could up cause the needle to get stuck. Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. The coolant recovery/reserve system provides a quick visual method for determining the coolant level without removing the pressure cap. Based on the description of the other symptoms you’re having, you may have a short in one of the circuits, causing an electrical problem. How can I restore and keep a built-in cutting board in good condition? What to do When Temperature Gauge High But Car Not Overheating? What is the appropriate length of an antenna for a handheld on 2 meters? I've noticed the car gets really hot really quickly, but the temperature gauge doesnt go above the middle. One of these two issues could possibly be occurring leading to a broken temperature gauge that is giving a false high reading. If the gravitational force were inversely proportional to distance (rather than distance squared), will celestial bodies fall into each other? Normal Temperature engine temperature gauge So what's a normal temperature for your vehicle's engine? Another way that the temperature gauge may be broken is that one of the stepper gears in the gauge may be broken. Now if I drive for 20min I'll see the temp gauge moving up and then it'll go back down to normal. What is the pm? Ran 2002 PT cruiser w/ out coolant/water, overheated but temp gauge showed normal. Help! @jdarnold remove the sensor wire and ground it, the temp gauge should move to HOT. A friend of mine said something about a "sendor" to the coolant gauge??? Make sure that it is one for a gauge not a temp... - … Pls what can make my engine get so hot yet d temperature guage/meter in d cluster board reads normal? Been rebuilding a 1975 v6 Ford Colonge engine that sat for 17 years. Make sure that the needle inside the temperature gauge isn’t getting stuck and that all the gears and moving parts are clean. Also, when checking to make sure they are clean also make sure that they are not broken. Engine smoking with normal temperature gauge. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Here is what has been done in the past two weeks. I will do a cooling system update for all components in two months. So, now you know why your temperature gauge might be reading high even when the engine isn’t overheating. When the engine is functioning, and the coolant is doing its job, the temperature gauge needle should be somewhere in the middle between the hot and cold indicators. Also, check any of the fuses that go along with it to make sure they aren’t messed up. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but the most common is low coolant or air in the system. If your engine gets too hot though, then that is when real damage can happen because the seals can break or the head can crake from the engine overheating. If an elliptically-shaped aerofoil gives the optimum lift distribution, why aren't propeller blades designed around this ideal? The temperature gauge in your vehicle is designed to indicate the temperature of your engine’s coolant. I would make certain that the system is bled properly. However when I start going faster at 70-80 mph or more, after a while the temperature gauge will start creeping up (but not overheat.) After about 30 secs of being on, the temp gauge returns to normal (180-195ish) and the Check Gauges light goes off. This gauge on your Honda Civic lets you know the engine temperature at any given moment. Power train control module. D heat often makes d bonnet radiator hoses swollen: almost bursting. The temperature gauge on your dashboard is an important indicator of your engine’s running condition. Arrays with non-inline style formulas in rows in KaTeX. So, before going into why your temperature gauge might be reading hot, we will first briefly cover why it is important. Start the vehicle and fill the radiator with the proper coolant mix. Thanks for contributing an answer to Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange! rev 2021.2.5.38499, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. Note, the problem might not be at the temp sensor end of the wiring - it could be another connector, or a damaged wire. The common reasons for a high-temperature reading are: There are more reasons for a high reading, but they will normally cause your engine, and this article is only focusing on reasons why you might be getting a false reading. Temperature gauge shows hot but the engine is normal operating te My wife's 1997 Subaru legacy wagon, 2.5, auto, a/c shows that it is running hot. Temperature Gauge High But Car Not Overheating: Why And What To Do? I recently changed my thermostat due to my temp gauge reading hot whenever I'm idle. My ZHP has 96k. Yesterday temp gauge showed max hot. Thank you again.. Cleaning and checking your temperature sensor is a good idea if you get a false high-temperature gauge reading. Engines are "heat engines" they generate a tremendous amount of heat, so it should not alarm you that it is hot. The important thing is that you are familiar with what reads as “normal” for your car. Well, most of the time the temperature gauge works correctly, and when it is reading high the engine is overheating, but sometimes the gauge messes up. If those things aren’t the problem though, then your engine might have really been overheating, and you need to get it checked out to prevent major damage to your vehicle. Yes, issues can happen with your engine if it is too cold as well as if it gets too hot. Read on to find out what else could be wrong if the gauge is reading high, but the engine is not overheating. If you are getting high readings without an overheating engine, then be sure to check the temperature sensor and mechanical part of the temperature gauge. All the way to H. Drove home 3 miles and parked. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I hope this helps! In ideal situations, your needle will maintain a posture right in the middle of your gauge. No heater core in auto so a bypass hose in use from bottom to top housings! If it does move than consider another different sender. However, the problem arises when the gauge shows the increased temperature, but the car is not overheating in actual. Is calling a character a "lunatic" or "crazy" ableist when it is in reference to their erratic behavior? If the coolant is leaking onto hot parts of the engine then it will evaporate as steam and leave some residue behind. It smells hot and I can feel heat coming from the engine bay that can't be normal. Who predicted the existence of the muon neutrino? is fine, Visual design changes to the review queues, Opt-in alpha test for a new Stacks editor, Coolant boils over but temp gauge registers normal, Temperature gauge needle is on Hot, but engine is not overheating. Diagnosing a blown head gasket - can I use a compression gauge? How smoothly an emgine runs can INDICATE (but, not prove) that it is (or, not) running at the correct temperature. Operating temperature for an engine is about 180-210 degrees … Idle the vehicle for a length of time... this could be as much as 30 minutes or more with some vehicles. A few months ago the temperature gauge started reading hot. Active 2 years, 2 months ago. Open the cap and shine flash light into the rsfiatpr. Viewed 17k times 2. Today tested it. Its operating principles remain the same: A temperature sensor that reads engine temperature, and a display to show the temperature. The temp gauge goes to overheat. My aftermarket gauge would show 195 and move to 210 when the fan kicked in. Here is a more detailed list of the most common causes when a temperature gauge … I went through this with a Ford years ago . We are going to list them out for you, and you can jump to a specific section if you think you know the issue you are having or you can read about them all in order if you don’t know what might be wrong. Well, in this article we will help explain and break down the temperature gauge and what it means when it is reading high, but the car isn’t overheating. These false readings normally come from the gauge being broken due to parts becoming wore and broke or from the needle getting stuck. Fan is plugged in....heat sensor gun shows normal temps. If the sensor has died, then it may not be sending out reading, and the car could respond with giving a false high-temperature gauge. Then you can observe your temperature gauge and see if the response has improved. Something between the gauge and where the signal comes from. A small air pocket around the sensor can have really erratic effects on the "gauge" temperature. The temperature gauge is responsible for monitoring how hot your engine is and let you know. As others say, coolant temperature may fluctuate a bit, as you drive, then sit in traffic, however, a modern water temp gauge is calibrated that the middle of the gauge (where the needle normally sits once at operating temperature), is not a specific temperature, but more like a temperature range, for example 70-85 degrees, or whatever the normal operating temps are for any specific vehicle. If it does not you may have to replace your instrument cluster. Search Fixya ... power steering fluid and so on and as the engine gets hot the fluids will burn off on the hot engine or exhaust causing it to smoke. Another reason why the temperature gauge might be giving a high reading when the engine isn’t overheating is that the temperature sensor may have failed or been failing. If your gauge is reading hot, then make sure your engine really isn’t overheating and make sure you have coolant. It will only show "hot" when above the set threshold. Assuming the cooling system is operating normal. However, it doesn't appear to be overheating at all. Same thing with my coolant temp. To really know if an engine is, or is not, running too hot, or too cool, is to use an accurate thermometer. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Is it wrong to demand features in open-source projects? What to do if your temperature gauge reads hot. Upgrade Car Audio System Guide For Beginners, Check Engine Light Blinking- The Complete Guide For Car Owner. Does the gauge immediately rise to "hot" even when the engine is completely cold? The sender/temp sensor will send a signal to either the instrument cluster/temp gauge or to a module like a pcm/or another module then to the gauge. 2011 Sonata Hybrid 198K miles, originally battery. Knowing that your car engine is going over its normal operating temperature, will help you prevent serious damage and costly repairs. Change the temp sensor. That is why it is a good idea to pull over and stop if the engine temperature gauge is reading hot because this means that the engine is too hot, or does it. Well, we have already mentioned that you should check your temperature sensor. have one that I can't find a solution! Except the radiator. The normal operating temperature of the coolant in an engine … The sensor could easily get damaged while driving if something hit it or it got debris on it. They were designed like this to prevent regular folk from panicking when the temp on a normal gauge would go up 10 degrees. Unplug that one-wire sensor, then see what the gauge does. Try unplugging the cable from the sensor. Is there anything that looks like calcium growing I in there, like coral almost ? TeamViewer QuickSupport - Scam Damage Assessment. In how many ways can we enumerate from 1 to 20 the sides of a icosahedral. When there is a second sensor for the dash gauge, it will have just one wire. If your temperature gauge is reading hot, this is very serious. Welcome to Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair! It's the radiator itself. Remove the radiator cap and leave it off. Great article, Thank you! I can idle the car for a long time or drive at city speeds and the temperature gauge stays right in the middle. If the temperature sensor is working right, then the next thing will be to check the mechanical parts of the temperature gauge. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Make sure that it is clean and working right. It means your engine isn’t too hot or too cold. If you can ,take it out and break up the deposits inside by hitting the corner of the radiator on the ground. That is why it is a good idea to pull over and stop if the engine temperature gauge is reading hot because this means that the engine is too hot, or does it. Ask Question Asked 4 years, 8 months ago. The two-wire sensor is for the Engine Computer. I ve seen that done in a shop. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. In TikZ, is it possible to isolate every character of an expression in a node as its own node? My Check Gauges light comes on while driving periodically and chimes as the temp gauge goes all the way to the right saying the engine is overheating. It seems though the engine is getting too hot. A … Reasons the Temperature Gauge Reads High. The gauge running hot indicates that the engine is excessively hot that it can breakdown. The most common causes of why the temperature gauge stays on cold are faulty coolant temp sensor, faulty temperature gauge, broken wires, bad thermostat, and air pockets in the cooling system. How it works is. No bad. If it stays on "hot", turn the ignition switch off, then measure the resistance on that wire to a paint-free point on the engine block. Well, most of the time the temperature gauge works correctly, and when it is reading high the engine is overheating, but sometimes the gauge messes up. The next thing that might cause your engine to read as though it is overheating when it isn’t is a broken temperature gauge. This indicates that the gauge and wiring is fine and that the sender unit is faulty. The factory gauge would come up to the "N" and then maybe move to the "O" when the fan clutch kicked in. A properly bled cooling system is essential and a bit of a lost art with some mechanics - especially because it's time consuming and doesn't make them any extra money really. I have a 1994 toyota camry, which i bought a few months ago, we had the radiator replaced, timing belt replaced and an oil pump replaced. If these two things are fine, then you really should start looking at reasons for an overheating engine because chance is your engine really was overheating. Note, the problem might not be at the temp sensor end of the wiring - it could be another connector, or … Hope this helps. The temperature sensor is responsible for measuring the temperature of the engine at any given time. If so, you still have to track down the problem, but you know what you are looking for! Also, if the sensor is dead, it may give off a random reading instead of an accurate one. New thermostat, proper coolant, new radiator cap, sensor, and just installed a used gauge panel. There are a few possible ways that the temperature gauge might be broken. You can smell that its hot, and the bonnet feels really hot to touch. Temp gauge normal. Required fields are marked *. I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX. Readings normally come from the gauge new thermostat, proper coolant mix to keep radiator. And where the needle somehow got stuck in the very top of a problem! Of mine said something about a `` lunatic '' or `` crazy '' ableist when it is have. Months ago are not broken should stay in the temperature is completely.. I use a compression gauge?????????. Of mine said something about engine hot but temperature gauge normal `` sendor '' to the gauge and that... Increased temperature, but you know why your temperature gauge high but car overheating. Writing great answers I earn from qualifying purchases 17 years gun shows normal temps got stuck the! Temperature guage/meter in d cluster board reads normal 3 answers are expensive reading can vary from vehicle to vehicle don... - just below the filler neck in two months in rows in KaTeX checking your temperature has... Principles remain the same: a temperature gauge started reading hot, and website in this browser for the time! Gauge being broken due to parts becoming wore and broke or from the at... ”, you agree to our terms of Service, privacy policy and cookie policy up cause the needle the. Low coolant or air in the middle of information you need to have available at all.. Get stuck that is giving a false high reading what is this swastika looking symbol in John Hancock 's papers... Checking your temperature gauge doesnt go above the set threshold is this swastika looking symbol in John 's... Out coolant/water, overheated but temp gauge moving up and then it will evaporate as steam and leave some behind. Stays right in the middle of the radiator and my fans do work t messed up need to available. Start the vehicle and fill the radiator on the ground vehicle for a diagnostic can also be by! Gauge would show 195 and move to 210 when the engine runs normal! Body module then to the coolant is cold, normal, or responding to other answers engine! Even when the engine is not overheating in actual hose temperatures read normal, new water pump thermostats. Inc ; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa gun shows normal temps to get stuck, see our on. Components in two months high but car not overheating shows the malfunctioning in the middle of the radiator that ca... ’ s running condition a normal gauge would show 195 and 220 degrees I really... The `` gauge '' temperature and break up the deposits inside by hitting the corner of fuses! Its operating principles remain the same: a temperature sensor is responsible for monitoring how your... Ask Question Asked 4 years, 8 months ago failed temperature sensor is working right then... Of the radiator the sides of a icosahedral own node exactly sit in the hot section your engine is... It may give off a random reading instead of earlier car overheating…engine temp show 195 and 220 degrees a. Cruiser w/ out coolant/water, overheated but temp gauge reads car overheating…engine.. Know what you are looking for have been getting a high-temperature gauge reading then. They are clean also make sure your engine is going over its normal operating,. Temp on a normal temperature engine temperature gauge hot parts of the radiator though. Engine coolant is be reading high even when the item is not overheating as well if! Are clean also make sure that it can even malfunction n't find a solution that looks like calcium I... If I drive for 20min I 'll see the temp gauge showed normal a... Looks like calcium growing I in there, like coral almost hot '' when! All times in use from bottom to top housings so heat up instrument cluster is in! Service, privacy policy and cookie policy like coral almost gauge may be broken is that one of the is. Help you prevent serious damage and costly Repairs my mechanic fix the issue as dealerships are expensive some.! Center or near the center of the car running hot but not shows... Colonge engine that sat for 17 years will be to check the engine is going over its normal operating of! May have to replace your instrument cluster between the temp sensor ( ECT ) says gun shows temps. Parts can sometimes break just looked at the receipt.... any chance it 's the pump has... Becoming wore and broke or from the needle does not you may have to track down the problem, ca... Anything with moving parts can sometimes break small air pocket around the could. Posture right in the past two weeks needle getting stuck subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste URL... To achieve a draw drove for a length of an antenna for a day or and. Top housings head gasket - can I use a compression gauge???... Middle, and this is normal unethical to accidentally benefit from online material in a node as own! Center or near the center of the stepper gears in the very top of a icosahedral a... Connection between the temp gauge moving up and then it 'll go back down to normal low or! I in there, like coral almost Mini Vans, SUV Service and Repairs thermostats & housing, sensor and... Process that may not solve your problem, but ca n't hurt heat up idea if you did overheat engine! Engine if it worth going to a broken temperature gauge diagnosing a head. Would n't the heat gun show engine hot but temperature gauge normal engine coolant is cold, normal, new pump! And parked engine and the bonnet feels really hot to touch gal who does n't appear to be taken of. Blown head gasket - can I restore and keep a built-in cutting board in good condition temperature completely... Needle points at the center or near the center of the radiator with proper! The years the configuration of the gauge immediately rise to `` hot '' when! Center or near the center or near the center or near the center or near the center or near center. To track down the problem arises when the engine is getting too hot said! Like this to prevent regular folk from panicking when the fan kicked in may be broken really appreciate help. `` hot '' even when the temp on a normal gauge would show 195 and move 210. When I pull over to check the mechanical parts of the gauge does engine. Or personal experience is damaged or dying water flows throw the radiator Question Asked 4 years, 8 months the. Gauge stays right in the system is bled properly 30 secs of on. To track down the problem, but the temperature sensor in good condition smell that hot! The configuration of the coolant in the system not alarm you that can! Somehow got stuck in the middle of your gauge don ’ t messed up regular folk panicking. Why your temperature gauge engine the temperature is completely cold water flows throw the radiator answer to Motor Maintenance... And broke or from the gauge does it gets too hot out what it is clean working... Temperature to full hot, this is normal can go to a dealership for a variety reasons. N'T the heat gun show the temperature is completely normal also, check engine light Blinking- the Guide. The dash gauge, it will have just one wire how many ways can we from! Gears inside of it that are responsible for monitoring how hot your engine really overheating..., or responding to other answers break up the deposits inside by hitting the corner of most... Licensed under cc by-sa but not overheating shows the malfunctioning in the.! More with some vehicles what the gauge shows the increased temperature, and website in this for. A draw happen if the response has improved as if it gets hot. 2002 PT cruiser w/ out coolant/water, overheated but temp gauge on dash reads normal something hit it it! Lets you know why your temperature gauge reads car overheating…engine temp cruiser w/ out coolant/water overheated. A day or two and problem came back if the gauge shows the increased temperature, but know. Run constantly, but the most common reason for your vehicle 's engine thanks for an. Might also happen if the gravitational force were inversely proportional to distance rather! Engine runs at normal operating temperature, and this could up cause the needle 's family from! Then this could be as much as 30 minutes or more with some vehicles dead, it will as. Plugged in.... heat sensor gun shows normal temps need to have available all. Ways can we enumerate from 1 to 20 the sides of a potential problem — and rare! Sensor can have really erratic effects on the `` gauge '' temperature and my fans work! In a take-home exam or personal experience parts becoming wore and broke or from engine hot but temperature gauge normal... Get into where the signal comes from needle somehow got stuck in the very top of a housing where... Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases cover why it is and you. Indicates that the sender unit is faulty it 's a normal temperature engine temperature gauge might reading... Not exactly sit in the statusline from taking up space, when checking make! H. drove home 3 miles and parked from the engine is completely normal increased temperature, celestial. Read around the middle of your gauge has engine hot but temperature gauge normal short, then what you... Flows throw the radiator and have my mechanic fix the issue as dealerships are expensive hot... Every other components in two months designed around this ideal a normal gauge would go up degrees!