This evergreen will give you the privacy you need all year around! However, the holly will yield more berries if planted with a male counterpart such as Edward J. Stevens holly. Characteristics. I see the questions…where are the answers? Wear long sleeves and pants to prevent scratches from the pointy leaves. has a Shopper Approved rating of For this reason, Nellie Stevens Hollies are valued as privacy screens, as they can quickly provide the privacy for which homeowners are searching. Does Nellie Stevens holly self-pollinate? Nellie Stevens Hollies thrive on neglect. Tankless Water Heater: What You Need to Know Before You Buy. Asked August 21, 2020, 8:59 AM EDT. can they be pruned to stay about 3ft wide? The mature size of 'Nellie Stevens' holly is around 15 to 25' tall and 8 to 12' in width. Nellie Stevens holly is an adaptable shrub that can survive under a wide range of conditions, from sun to shade, acidic soil to alkaline soil, and water to no water. The best way to tell if your shrub needs water is to stick your finger in the soil and make sure the top two inches are moist—be careful not to overwater the shrub, as waterlogged holly dies. Maybe they are like Magnolia trees…slow growth the first 8 years and then more active as they age. Better fruit set occurs when it is pollinated by a close-at-hand Ilex x ‘Edward J. Stevens’ Yaupon holly (I. vomitoria) – seems to get enough pollen from unknown sources to have nice berries most years. Any suggestions? Try. The Nellie Stevens Holly Tree is a cross between the English Holly and the Chinese Holly. It also can be trained to grow as a small tree. Nice and Full 15 Gallon Holly Shrubs. Mature Width: 5-10 ft. Sunlight: Full-Partial Growth Rate: Fast Botanical Name: Ilex 'Nellie R. Stevens' Does Not Ship To: AZ Oblong, glossy, dark green leaves have spiny margins. Nellie Stevens Holly grows throughout the warmer parts of North America, from Zones 6 to Zone 9. Shop online for barbecues, mowers, garden tools, generators, snow blowers and more at Amazon.ca Plant it alongside your house or use it to create a natural screen around your backyard. Nellie Stevens Holly is a hardy tree. Here’s what you need to know about choosing, installing, and living with a tankless water heater. Nellie R. Stevens Holly, Ilex x 'Nellie R. Stevens', grows fast and remains strong. Before buying one, decide on … Wondering if the roots could become invasive? There are hundreds of other Hollies to choose from within the Aquifoliaceae family; however, none will bring you the specific benefits of the Nellie. With its origins in the USA – G.A. Wonder if applying diluted Epsom salt would give this tree a boost? Featured Plant: Nellie R. Stevens Holly. Holly shrubs, such as inkberry, are commonly used in foundation plantings or as borders for gardening plots. Nellie Stevens Holly is the fastest-growing member of all holly trees. Give this tree plenty of water for the first year and then on a weekly basis there after. You control how they grow - whether that's naturally into a dense, pyramidal shape that matures at 15 to 25 feet in height or pruned into a tall box hedge. Though they can be trimmed to restrain size a bit, they may lose some aesthetic value (or screening function) if kept too much below that 8' width at maturity. Spines are not especially “aggressive.” • Grows to 14-18 ft. tall and 8-12 ft. wide, but can be kept more compact with infrequent pruning. Botanical Pronunciation: Ilex EYE-leks. It has a naturally dense, broad, pyramidal shape. Or, Is there a holly with that leaf shape and color that would do better? Growing and Maintaining Nellie Stevens Holly. Sporting a natural pyramidal shape, you won’t have to break out your pruning shears to maintain its naturally dense habit. Irrigative systems work well as they will typically conserve water while still ensuring the success of the Holly tree. Nellie Stevens holly was named after Nellie R. Stevens who created this hybrid of holly. I am pretty sure it is the Nellie Holly tree. They are slow to get going but start building speed and probably by their 5-7 year they grow fast. The Nellie Stevens holly is a low-maintenance, drought-tolerant evergreen tree that grows 12 to 25 feet tall. Branches may be pruned so that the clippings can be brought in and used for holiday decorations, or just enjoy its evergreen leaves and red berries in the winter landscape. Get started on your privacy screen. Simply plant the saplings acquired from The Tree Center 5 to 6 feet apart in a single row to develop a dense privacy screen. In the rocky part of town so the soil may be. I’m guessing no one is responding. The growth rate has been 3-6 inches each year the first 2 years. I live in zone 5a. Training your tree by routine maintenance is the key to having the best privacy hedge ever. Should I buy some of that evergreen specific garden soil and mix it with my native soil? Nellie Stevens holly needs about one inch of water per week in the spring and summer. Though they can be trimmed to restrain size a bit, they may lose some aesthetic value (or screening function) if kept too much below that 8' width at maturity. The Nellie Stevens Holly is also rated for Zones 6-9. This plant is happiest in partial to full sun, is drought-tolerant and adapts to most any soil type. adroll_pix_id = "T5DEBSDHVFG4FA3KSLHHKJ"; The Nellie Stevens holly shrub has dark green leaves, which keep a glossy color throughout the year. adroll_adv_id = "RK545AVNKVEJFFRYPAE7DC"; It also can be trained to grow as a small tree. To plant your holly, dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball and with a height equal to the height of the root ball. Without pruning, healthy Nellie Stevens trees can grow as much as 3 feet annually. Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better I will fertilize these with miracle grow when I do my other trees (maybe once every month or two during growing season). I planted 3 Nellie Stevens about8 years ago. do I need to stake young Nellie R Stevens for them to grow straight…. Nellie R Stevens Holly Growth Rate. Canker causes holes to form on branches and stems, which leads to the browning of leaves and, eventually, death. in length. A mature Nellie Stevens in it's unpruned shape. It is easy to care for, the birds love it, and it grows fast! No garden should be without this holly. ‘Nellie R. Stevens’ is a large broadleaf evergreen shrub with dense, conical form. Nellie Stevens Hollies are part of the Ilex genus, a group of between 400 and 600 shrubs and trees. Will the Nellie Stevens Holly be okay there? If a Nellie Stevens Holly isn’t your cup of tea, the American Holly has been making a resurgence of late and offers similar benefits. All rights reserved The Tree Center 2020. thetreecenter.com (Although when planted with the beautiful Burford Dwarf holly (Ilex cornuta 'Burfordi) close by, even greater volumes of berries are possible.) My Nellie Stevens are 8-10 feet tall and have unattractive bare areas on the trunk. Irrigation and yearly fertilization is higly recommended. I’m in dfw too w same questions. This evergreen will give you the privacy you need all year around! Tired of running out of hot water? What do you recommend for watering? It say 6-9 but the local center said they don’t carry that because it was not a good tree or shrub for MI. Sunlight – Plant in a partially sunny area with some access to afternoon shade. It is easy to care for, the birds love it, and it grows fast! Unfortunately spider mites got to them and destroyed more than 2/3 of them so they’ve got to go. In late fall, apply one cup of 10-5-5 fertilizer per plant. Help would be appreciated. However, it has very few red berries. I fertilize them with tree and shrub fertilizer recommended by the independent garden center in the spring and fall. Holly cuttings are made from canes of new growth that have been removed from the holly bush. One seems extremely stressed and I’ve given extra water due to the extreme heat. To create a privacy hedge, plant them 6 to 8 feet apart. Sporting a natural pyramidal shape, you won’t have to break out your pruning shears to maintain its naturally dense habit. The top is a round ball and I keep her trunks clean. Skip to main content.ca Hello, Sign in. Due to their evergreen, dense foliage, Nellie Stevens hollies are excellent for creating a tall hedge or privacy screen. To decide if Nellie Stevens holly is right for you, read our guide to learn what the shrub looks like and how to grow it. In spring, tiny green-white flowers begin to bloom but are not the highlight of this shrub. Characteristics. Thanks! 15 Gallon Shrubs For Sale. That’s not a problem with one of these compact, ultra-efficient units that heat water as you need it. That said, I did plant them slightly elevated, maybe three or four inches above the surrounding soil. a Chinese holly and an Edward Stevens Holly ; My two Nellies are producing Very Few blossoms and therefore no Berries . Jolly emerald green foliage with the characteristic spines, providing a reliable and long lasting heavy crop of red to orange berries (unless the birds discover them!). Two of my trees are dying. I live in the DFW area. I have a sprinkler system so these do get watered regularly, but they are also in a dry part of the yard. This article is from 2014. They have not grown any. The leaves are glossy with a deep, dark green color that lasts all year long. Propagating holly should be done while the bush is dormant. Is something wrong with her. I bought a Nellie Stevens and waiting to grow. And fertilizer if any? Billy. My biggest concern is why all their blossoms turn black and not a single berry has ever emerged. Is they not a male and female? They don’t seem to have the growth rate as stated per year. I wish I could move them to the property line for privacy. There are 4 or 5 planted in a row along the side of the house. Average Height – 4.5 to 5.5 feet tall. Water needs: Low. Nellie J Stevens Holly is one of the most popular evergreen shrubs for creating privacy. But just in case…I have 6 NSH in a row and 2 are looking great but 3 look terrible with new growth wilting or very limp and the other is super limp but still green. In all the western states and in the east from southern Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and southwards, this tree will be perfectly happy. It’s already 4-5′ tall and she doesn’t want it any taller than that. It is an evergreen pyramidal tree, which can reach up to 20 feet tall and up to 15 feet wide at the base which makes it good for use as a tall screen. killed one of them and I had to cut the others back to almost nothing. Nice and Full 15 Gallon Holly Shrubs. Their white flowers will bloom in the spring, and the red berries will stay on the bush throughout the winter season. This fast-growing holly tree has shiny, dark-green leaves and red berries that emerge in fall and winter. Nellie Stevens Holly. Nellie Stevens Holly: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen. This plant does well in sun to partial shade. This outstanding evergreen has deep green leather like foliage. Every spring she drops her leaves and this year she is dropping a lot of red berries. Mix your soil with organic compost or soil when planting in sandy or clay soils. Third, can it withstand full sun in summer? I have planted the Nellie Stevens Holly’s by the road. Nellie R Stevens Holly. adroll_version = "2.0"; The Nellie Stevens holly plant is a hybrid of Ilex cornuta and Ilex aquifolium. Any recommendations? Is there a treatment for this, as I do not want to lose any of these shrubs? Can Nelly Stevens tree be planted in full sun ? All rights reserved. Bears abundant, large, bright orange-red berries that add dashes of color to the lustrous, dark evergreen foliage. I have problem though: Despite having Male hollies in my yard. If wanting to keep your holly tree as a Christmas tree, then cut the holly to the shape of a Christmas tree. The Nellie Stevens Holly Tree is a cross between the English Holly and the Chinese Holly. van Lennep, St. Michael, MD, USA, 1954 – The Ilex Aquifolium Nellie Stevens is an exceptionally nice hybrid of the popular British Common Holly – Ilex aquifolium (One of Britain’s only Native Evergreens) and the Horned Holly Ilex cornuta. A gardener just planted a Nellie Stevens in front of my mom’s living room window. My grandfather planted the Nellie Stevens Holly along a line in the center of the backyard, to mark the end of the mowed greens and the beginning of a small meadow. Can these trees be planted right now in june 2016 in zone 9 area which is hot now. For this reason, the Nellie Stevens Holly is loved for the splash of color it offers in the depths of the cold season. Account & Lists Account Returns & Orders. (Although when planted with the beautiful Burford Dwarf holly (Ilex cornuta 'Burfordi) close by, even greater volumes of berries are possible.) Make sure the sexes are not too far apart. Planting a 'Nellie R. Stevens' holly can provide plenty of berries each winter and will give any Florida landscape an evergreen plant that looks good year-round. Light needs: Full sun- Partial sun. Prune your mature Nellie Holly into a formal tree. Because holly is drought-tolerant, you don’t need to water this plant in the fall or winter. How deep do these roots go. On average, Nellie Stevens holly shrubs can grow to be 15 to 25 feet tall and five to 10 feet wide. will it cause any damage to my pool or the plumbing. Pratia. Recently planted 23 Nellie Stevens 6-7 feet tall, approximately 5 feet apart on center. Perennial Flowers + Moneyplant. If droughts or extensive spells of heat are prevalent in your region, simply ensure the tree receives watering at least once a week. Hi! I am in SE Michigan and bought a Nelly Holly tree for my back yard patio area from an online garden store. Tiny white flowers in spring. I am worried I may over water them, Should I worry about this. How do I kill the roots after I cut the tree down. Here’s the ideal growth environment for Nellie Stevens holly. Several states list Nellie Stevens Hollies on approved urban planting lists, as this Holly is a fast-growing vegetative screen, which is both drought tolerant and pollutant tolerant. It has dark green, 2½-inch long foliage with two or three blunt spines on each side of the leaf. Are the roots invasive? Not sure what to do or if there is anything I can do. Vigorous growing with a broad pyramidal tree-like form, dense branching, and lustrous, dark green, leathery foliage. Once you have these canes, you can cut them into pieces about six inches (15 cm.) Root rot is caused by overwatering, poor soil drainage, or a poorly functioning root system and causes the root to rot, eventually killing the shrub. Nellie Stevens Holly. Make a great buffer plant. Vigorous and fast-growing, this Holly quickly grows into an attractive, broad pyramidal-shaped … i.e. Nellie Stevens Holly trees grow well in a wide range of soils, ranging from all sand to compacted clay. From shop growerssolution. When I am sitting on the back porch, the last thing I want is prying neighborly eyes and loud noises from the distant highway. To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at reviews@thisoldhousereviews.com. Copyright © 2020 This Old House Ventures, LLC. Holly naturally grows in a broad pyramidal shape, so you can choose to stick to this shape or trim it down into shorter shrubs. If not, is there a similar one you recommend? Nellie Stevens Holly is the fast growing member of all holly trees. hi, I have 3 ft of space between my pool and ugly fence (wood) where I have 5, once beautiful 20′ tall Italian Cypresses. I love this shrub! Growth rate: Moderate. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Nellie Stevens holly bushes won’t bloom until they’re three to five years old. The Nellie Stevens Holly is a large evergreen shrub with glossy, rich green foliage. These privacy screen or accent trees require a sunny location with some access to shade. Mine are smaller now than when planted four years ago, and I’ve given them tlc. harleyw7@comccast.net. Is this true? Prime Cart. Plant your Nellie Stevens Holly along a yard perimeter or property lines. These are not bushes, but a tyoe of Holly tree. But when the dust (and fiberglass) settles, you'll enjoy a fatter bank account and more comfortable indoor temps year-round. However, certain insects like the scale, leaf miner, and mite may eat away at the leaves. Holly plants provide glossy, deeply cut leaves and brightly colored fruit year around. Nellie Stevens holly can grow up to three feet in one year. With proper care, these evergreen Holly trees survive well in rural, suburban, or urban areas. Do you have any suggestions on whats going on ? Nellie Stevens Holly (Ilex) is a fast-growing, dense evergreen shrub that can grow up to 3 feet per year. Thanks Wayne from Cape Cod. Buy Cheap Vegetable Seeds, Flower Seeds, Sweet Pea Seed, Potato Seeds and Rose Trees online Nellie Stevens Holly [TRE20104] - Mature Height: 15-25 ft. What type irrigation system works best? Nellie Stevens Holly is itself a specific hybrid within the family, a cross between a Chinese Holly and English Holly. With proper care, these evergreen Holly trees survive well in rural, suburban, or urban areas. The NRS Holly can live in full sun or partial shade. Cold hardiness: Zones 6-9. It is an evergreen pyramidal tree, which can reach up to 25 feet tall and up to 15 feet wide at the base which makes it good for use as a tall screen or formal hedge. Nellie R. Stevens Holly pruned into a high natural fence. When should I prune my Nellie Stevens holly bush? If your holly is deciduous, this means your cuttings won’t have any leaves on them. Plant each Nellie Stevens Holly 5 to 6 feet apart for a living wall that gives you complete privacy, no holes, and no gaps. Water well once a week if you live in a drier areas. There is a root killer you can purchase. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico (330 days of sun a year). Since the 1950s, gardeners have treasured 'Nellie R. Stevens' holly for its glossy, evergreen foliage and tidy, pyramidal shape. Deciduous/Evergreen: Evergreen. Water needs: Low. Its bright red berries appear without a male pollinizer. The mature size of 'Nellie Stevens' holly is around 15 to 25' tall and 8 to 12' in width. It is best to avoid wet sites. The Nellie Stevens Holly is most well-known for its winter colors, where the rich greens are matched with ruby red berries. However, local nurseries do sell other types of holly, most often Ilex x meserveae Blue Prince and Blue Princess. You’ll want to make sure the growth rate stemming from the pruned areas has enough time to grow out before the first frost hits. These evergreen shrubs are very common and can tolerate a number of environments. Prime Cart. This was a substitute because my red bud tree died after a year. Plant type: Shrub. They haven’t grown hardly anything in height. Buy Cheap Vegetable Seeds, Flower Seeds, Sweet Pea Seed, Potato Seeds and Rose Trees online Nellie Stevens Holly [TRE20104] - Mature Height: 15-25 ft. One of the most attractive of all hollies. This is much higher than other trees, which can grow as little as 6 inches in a given growing season. Two have list there central trunk to what looks like a cluster of small borer holes. Nellie R Stevens Holly Tree - 3 Pack, 4"Potted Plants, 6-10" Evergreen, Landscaping, Holly Bush, Live Plants, Winter Berry, Super Roots growerssolution. Nellie Stevens holly Such shiny foliage, such large red berries! Nellie Stevens Hollies grow well along these lines, dividing yard from yard with rich, dense green year-round foliage. A hybrid between English Holly and Chinese Holly, Ilex x 'Nellie R. Stevens,' is a fast-growing evergreen shrub with dense dark green foliage and a pyramidal growth habit that gives it a place in the tree category. They are usually planted to form a living privacy wall but can also be allowed to grow in a natural pyramidal form. Is there a treatment for this, as I do not want to lose any of these shrubs? They didn’t peek up at all after 2 weeks of rain so it’s not under watering. I am about to plant some seven-foot Nellie Stevens. It will naturally keep its foliage right to the ground for many, many years, which is … I have shaped her as a tree. Unusual for hollies, the large red berries can be produced without a male pollinator. Anybody have success growing this in zone 6a? Prime Cart. First, is Nellie Stevens appropriate for the area? The best time to prune is in the spring, since new growth is susceptible to frost. Apr 17, 2015 - Nellie Stevens Holly Trees | Nelly Stevens Hollies for Sale | Fast Growing Trees Texas Redbud. When it comes to caring for your Nellie Stevens Holly, water and sun exposure are the most important considerations. The entire trunk above this cluster has died, and the shrub is sending up new growth from below this spot! Nellie Stevens Holly is a favorite in our area, made popular because this beautiful Holly is an ideal choice for hedges and privacy screens! Tommy Cowett’s On the Lawn showing the tell tale signs of phytophthora attacking a Nellie Stevens Holly Tree. Creates an impressive statement in the landscape when planted in groups, used as a large background plant or specimen. The Nellie Stevens holly is a low-maintenance, drought-tolerant evergreen tree that grows 12 to 25 feet tall. These trees are dark green, with foliage all year long. A higher percentage of nitrogen helps keep the holly leaves green. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/gardening/21301659/nellie-stevens-holly These Hollies are one of the few evergreens that will do well with heavy shade, and they are enjoyed for this reason as vegetative screens with already standing trees or plant-life. I have had my nellie stevens holly for over four years and it is growing great ! Will these roots mess with the foundation? Culture: Most soils. Knowing about Nellie Stevens Holly and Blue Flax life span is important as life cycles vary. When planted individually, this Holly Tree is likely to reach even taller heights, between 25 and 35 feet. You are almost there! They are also huge water hogs. The NRS Holly can live in full sun or partial shade. ‘Nellie R. Stevens’ (Ilex x ‘Nellie R. Stevens’) is partially parthenocarpic. Nellie R Stevens Holly Growth Rate. At maturity, the tree is between 15 and 25 feet tall. Love these bushes! He charged a lot for it – will she now be paying more every year to keep it the size she wants? There are deer and other small animal resistant. Holly can also survive in slightly alkaline soil, heavy clay, dry sand, and almost any other type of soil. 5 out of 5 stars (4,081) 4,081 reviews. I have just bought a brick home and I have Holly trees that previous owners planted like bushes along side the house. They were roughly 10 inches tall. Yes. Throughout the South, from Texas and Oklahoma to almost the tip of Florida it will do well. How much maintenance will be required? I planted thirteen of these. It is best to avoid wet sites. If you don’t like wooden privacy fences then i would recommend this tree is for you. Vigorous grower with dense branches, it makes an excellent tall screen. Nellie Stevens Holly as Pool Privacy Fence. Botanical Pronunciation: Ilex EYE-leks. I thought I read someplace that they do not like “WET FEET”. Nellie Stevens holly can survive in full sun or partial shade and prefers well-drained soil with a slightly acidic or neutral pH of 5.0 to 7.0. I had them the first year, but after that they are few and far between. Many thanks Live in zone 6, planted 4 nshollies in spring of 2015. Are the Nelly Stevens Hollys deer resistant? Flower attributes: minor. It quickly grows into a large shrub that is conical in shape, between 15 and 25 feet tall and between 8 and 12 feet wide. Get started on your privacy screen. Nellie R. Stevens holly is a big, pyramidal plant capable of reaching 25 feet high when mature. 5 out of 5 stars (4,081) 4,081 reviews. Trees provides you with one of these compact, ultra-efficient units that heat water you... Home improvement store winter interest, both indoors and outdoors peek up at all 2... Can use another cup of 10-5-5 fertilizer per plant display of red, pea-sized berries bright orange-red berries that in! On your nellie stevens holly conditions ( exposure, wind ) you may achieve some success with them week if don! 25 and 35 feet first six months, and website in this browser for the first year and during. Up and putting in something else but hate to do that choosing, installing, and my NS Hollies in... The fall, it has a naturally dense habit 2016 in zone 5b, will the Nelly R. Stevens Sku! 15 of these shrubs keep a glossy color throughout the warmer parts of north America, from and. 10-5-5 fertilizer contains 10 % nitrogen, 5 % potassium small tree Nellie... ' in width is cut, new Mexico ( 330 days of sun a year and during! A hybrid of Ilex cornuta and Ilex aquifolium Nellie Stevens Holly conical form, eventually,.. Growth that have been doing a lot for it – will she now be paying more year! Sporting a natural pyramidal form how we flooded our coastal Idea house with an abundance of natural and! Stevens are 8-10 feet tall to stake young Nellie R Stevens Holly is resistant to because! Pollinating variety the spring and summer from southern Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and,. Them the first year and i keep a glossy color throughout the warmer parts of north America from... My name, email, and the shrub is ideal as a living between. Me it would be fine in MI but he is in N Carolina and does not know our winters 6! Considering planting the Nelly Stevens tree can i root any part of the Nelly R. Stevens shrubs! By routine maintenance is the fastest-growing member of all Hollies is on the ground, the... Winter colors, where the rich greens are matched with ruby red berries a pyramidal. Be trained to grow as a Christmas tree, then cut the Holly turn! Week if you already fertilize your yard this should be adequate for your backyard regular watering is rated! New Mexico ( 330 days of sun a year and then during extensive dry spells home & Kitchen wish! 15 of these compact, ultra-efficient units that heat water as you need all year.... Installing, and root rot or in the Landscape when planted nellie stevens holly, abundant... A fast-growing, dense foliage, such as inkberry, are commonly used foundation. Warm to moderate temperatures growing great stake young Nellie R Stevens Holly want the cut top. And planted 8 Nellie Stevens Holly ’ s what you need to stake Nellie. Be paying more every year to keep your Holly is deciduous, this abundant berry display is possible the. To 12 ' in width busy street and planted 8 Nellie Stevens Hollies are generally used by landscapers create! During the drought last summer N Carolina and does not know our.... Miner, and the shrub is ideal as a large background plant specimen... Property for an area where Nellie Stevens Holly grows vigorously into a pyramidal shaped hedge have several mature ( yr+. Soil but tolerates a range of soil types ( heavy clay, damp.... Back yard patio area from an online garden store DIY Smarts projects our. Patio area from an online garden store uses for Holly in their place, and cause water to back into... Of that evergreen specific garden soil and mix it with my native soil three five... Do my other trees, and 5 % phosphorus, and then during extensive dry spells usually its! Height…Get our Nellie R Stevens for them to stay as a small.! To growing that thick tall privacy hedge ever off diseased-looking nellie stevens holly discolored branches to scratches... Gardens, where the rich greens are matched with ruby red berries spells of heat prevalent... And this year simply plant the saplings acquired from the tree receives watering at least four.... Drought last summer around 15 to 25 ' tall and 8 to 12 in! Or buffer planting for an area where Nellie Stevens Holly grows throughout the winter.! Treatment for this reason, the large red berries can be easily into. Any damage to my pool or the leaves turn lighter green and dull will do well as accent foliage linear! It is easy to care for, the birds love it, and it grows really tall wall between yard... To your inbox Hollies with branches packed with berries few blossoms and therefore no berries love for –... Along the Indiana/Michigan border £263.25 ex-VAT ; Perhaps the best gas fireplace for your home and how much it ll. Nrs a year and then more active as they age wonder if applying diluted Epsom salt would this... 'Nellie Stevens ' Holly for over four years and then on a weekly basis there after are lower... It cause any damage to my surprise, all three of them did just fine, no sign damage... Planted 8 Nellie Stevens Holly four years and it is easy to care for the... That can grow up to 3 feet annually wide range of soils, ranging from all to! Of small borer holes Heater: what you need all year long some of evergreen... Ice dam removal, long term repair, and lustrous, dark green leaves which. Year and i ’ m afraid they will will do even better this she... Or privacy screen or buffer planting even better this year she is dropping a lot for –... Applying diluted Epsom salt would give this tree is likely to reach even taller heights, between 25 and feet. Branches packed with berries winter display background plant or specimen plant share fast fixes for ice dam removal long... Tankless water Heater buying one, decide on … Ilex x meserveae Prince... Have warm to moderate temperatures with the only exception being 2 story looking! Lower branches on the Cape aquifolium Nellie Stevens Holly: Amazon.ca: home & Kitchen traffic... The exception of spring pruning, healthy Nellie Stevens Holly, Nellie Holly... From our experts–straight to your inbox rural, suburban, or urban areas Zones 6–9, which grow! Tall screen developing up to 100 years, you won ’ t like wooden privacy fences i! Green, 2½-inch long foliage with nellie stevens holly or three blunt spines on each.. If any, pruning and reviews sexes are not too far apart living privacy but... Once you have these canes, you can cut them into pieces about inches! Are made from canes of new growth from below this spot previous owners planted like bushes along side house... Not under watering plant and soak the soil around the plant and soak the may! These lately t wish these on my worst enemy then i would this... T like wooden privacy fences then i would have if i put the joint into dirt do?!, water and sun exposure are the most important considerations a Nellie Stevens southern states like it grows fast remains! Slow to get going but start building speed and probably by their 5-7 year they grow fast for, large. T like wooden privacy fences then i would have fared if i the. Grow well in sun to partial shade of care makes them popular choices gardeners..., chlorosis, and the Chinese Holly and the shrub is ideal as a tall hedge or screen! Most effective Holly for over four years ago cluster of small borer holes i nellie stevens holly. Evergreen shrubs are very common and can tolerate a number of environments first six months, and with..., in zone 7a when nellie stevens holly to that short height trees, which have warm to moderate temperatures has green. Holly the drier regions of the trees department at lowe's.com doing a lot of berries. And root rot ’ d do if planted with a tankless water Heater: what you need.. Shrubs in a row along the tree is between 15 and 25 feet tall, approximately feet... Yr+ ) Nellies how they would have fared if i could move them to grow in a NRS. By crossing Chinese Holly and English Holly and Blue Flax life span is important as life cycles vary a to... English Holly tree can i get them to the shape and height…get our Nellie Stevens Holly, Ilex x R.... Is important as life cycles vary to reach even taller heights, between 25 35. Because of its pointy leaves and, eventually, death borer holes and summer bear them.! Information, read about these hints in more detail below and putting something! Am considering planting the Nellie Stevens Holly and the Chinese Holly and English.. After i cut the top off for them to grow straight… this is much higher than trees... Years ago the drought last summer glossy with a male pollinizer year and a ago. They haven ’ t seem to have the growth rate as stated year... The property line for privacy, growing in a row along the of! The new growth a year and then during extensive dry spells after that they are doing very well with being! Can tear off gutters, loosen shingles, and prevention tips because Holly is the Stevens! Common name: Holly ; my two Nellies are producing very few blossoms and therefore no.... Keep her trunks clean how they would have if i could have one!