Landscape & Garden Design. I planted mine about a 12" out. I've got five Windmills planted around my back, wrap-around porch in the garden bed here on the Southern Delaware Coast. Select a planting site that will allow the tree to reach its full height of 50 to 70 feet without running into power lines or other trees. If you have purchased a palm with burlap, plant it with the burlap. Help! Larger palms that grow slowly are often used as small landscape palms. Palm roots for the most part arent as obnoxious as other trees. It tends to be much cooler and they are under a giant maple and dogwood. Eucalyptus and palm trees are examples: Knowing that these trees will grow and will someday touch the fence, is there a distance he cannot plant the trees? Some pics. - instead using the same silicon adhesive as they used for the initial install. A surprising fact about the foxtail palm is that it is a relatively new species to have growing in gardens around the world. Select the variety of palm you want to plant. It’s also best to buy the largest palm you can afford for increased hardiness and effect, so choosing the right hardy palm is important to make the best purchase. This makes them a hardy palm. You may not think of a 20' palm as small...but considering that some South Florida palms grow to 80 feet or more, 20 feet seems small by comparison. This requires a knowledge of how large a tree will be at maturity to ensure there is enough clearance. I have a friend and client who lives about half a mile from our local hospital. It wasn't presented to the world until 1978 when the aboriginal arborist Wodyetia alerted botanists of this lovely palm specimen that thrived in his tribe's region. If you plant them any closer together, you may risk the chance of crowding the palms and optimal growth and health may not be achieved. The palms will move away from the house if they're too close. Heres the pic of the 2 palms planted extremely close to a building which shows extreme hardiness for never being protected. They also have a fire department a half mile away in the other direction. Considering how large the palm fronds are on the foxtail, each tree should be planted at least 8 feet from a home. Usually, the only way to start a palm tree is from seed. By planting a variety of different palm trees and incorporating the kinds of plants that go well with palm trees, such as ferns and bromeliads, you can … Thanks all, and thanks @oldryder. Palms prefer a moist, humus-rich but well-drained soil, but will grow in most garden soils with the addition of compost and organic matter. 1. Hard to see but the palms in the 2 pic actually lean out a little. Clear an area large enough to keep lawn equipment from bumping into the palm’s trunk and causing potential damage. Plant the tree with organic peat humus near the top of the hole to give it a good start. For residential lots: one tree per 1,250 sq. Which is why I planted mine how I did. En continuant à naviguer sur ce site ou à utiliser cette application, j'accepte que le groupe Houzz utilise des cookies ou d'autres technologies similaires pour améliorer ses produits et services, me proposer du contenu pertinent et personnaliser l'expérience utilisateur. Thanks for the info Jim. I really like the idea of a little fence around your property with a nice entrance into the yard. Similar distance as the ones depicted from your house foundation. Windmill Palm Tree 3 Gallon Pot, From Amazon How to Plant a Windmill Palm. If we don't like it, we'll go the Dekton factory route... Find out the common flaws that shouldn’t be deal-breakers — and a few that should give you pause, So you get freezes or floods. Dig the planting hole to the same depth as the palm's nursery pot and twice as wide. Arrange the potted palm in the yard, then check for proper spacing and placement. Remove infected trees as soon as possible and avoid planting other palms in the area. You can grow a young plant in a container to give your deck or patio a tropical look, but do not plant one in a small yard since they need large, open areas. Consult a list[2] X Research source of some common palms used in landscapin… Loosen the planting site’s soil. In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook heads to Miami to plant several varieties of palm trees in a front yard. The amount of sunlight palm trees require, as well as the amount of cold they tolerate, also depend on species. I thought they are a pretty unusual variation for the same reasons.-Alex. Okay, so I moved them out a bit more--from one foot to two. Thanks alot for any help! For instance, if you put in a large species such as the Canary Island Palm, Phoenix canariensis, give it a lot of room. The old fronds will fall off as they age and turn brown around the edges. You can plant palms on top of the house without damage. This is simply something you should take into consideration. The foxtail palm grows fat clusters of cheery red seeds. Like. Page 1 of 1 8 replies. The Australian government put a ban on seed exports in efforts to protect the foxtail palm. The lower foundation is white in color and the ground is covered with black mulch. Landscaping advice for house close to the road. In a subzero winter, having the trunks very close to the wall will make a big difference. She earned a B.A. It is far better to leave the root bound root ball intact and plant it as such. How many feet is adequate if you want a cluster of Windmills? Space the trees approximately 20 feet apart to allow proper light filtration between the palms. When "injected", the silicon forms about a 6" circle. You could also add a couple of lights to the gate/pergola area. Please tell me what to do. A single foxtail palm can be planted 3 feet from surrounding structures, such as fences. A trellis alongside the brick also painted gray would look lovely with a vine growing on it. So, since skyrocket junipers typically grow 20 feet tall, plant it at least 20 feet away from the system. Plan your planting to make sure the entire canopy of the mature tree is on your side of the fence. Per other comments, this keeps the fix and install squarely within the warranty with Dekton and the supplier. When growing palm trees, think about how much space a species will ultimately need. This can be a problem for boundary fences, and your neighborhood association or city might have laws in place to prevent it. You can quickly test soil pH with an inexpensive soil pH tester probe. Worst Trees to Plant Near a House The trees on this short list are deemed the worst because of their widespread, invasive roots. Add manganese or magnesium once or twice a year if the fronds begin to lose their signature bright green color. Some palms in this section can grow to 20 feet. Make sure you water the windmill palm regularly as drought-like conditions actually lower its already slow growth rate. ft. of gross lot area to a maximum of 15 trees in the U/S Tier, 1 tree per 1,000 sf to a maximum of 30 trees in the AGR and Glades Tier and 1 tree per 800 sf to a maximum of 30 trees in the Exurban and Rural Tiers. 7/08/2012. Any chance they could have a little T. wagnerianus in them?And I do think that the spacing in your bottom 2 pics is a pretty good distance from your house and a pretty good distance from each other to make a nice grove effect in 5-10 years.-Alex. One should never take a palm out of a pot and try to ‘unwind' or open up the root ball the way one might with other root-bound trees or shrubs. With each watering be sure to saturate the ground and also spray the palm’s green top. Zone is 7a--away from the house. The foxtail palm's official botanical name is Wodyetia bifurcate. Of mine are on my post now. They are about 7' and have never lost a frond. When potting up palms into pots and containers indoors, always use a premium standard potting mix. I also have 3 needles out in front of those which you can't see but the shade hasn't bothered them. Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. PS. Browse related questions. Her full bio and clips can be viewed at www.vegaswriter.com. Kimberley McGee is an award-winning journalist with 20+ years of experience writing for a variety of clients, including The New York Times, Las Vegas Review-Journal Home section and other national publications. 29 Dec 2011. Whatever your interior design style, palm trees are the ticket to enhancing it, Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies, Bar and Counter Stools With Free Shipping, 10 Easy Fixes for That Nearly Perfect House You Want to Buy, Celebrate a Sunny Climate With the Right Leafy Palm for Your Site, Meet a Palm That's Fine With Fluorescent Light, Houzz Tour: Family Builds Off the Grid Near the Cascade Mountains, A Bold, Handcrafted Look for a Summer Pavilion Near Moscow, My Houzz: Family Is Close at Hand in a 19th-Century Brisbane Cottage, Rare Modernist Home Uncovered in Palm Springs, Modernism Week 2015 Opens in Palm Springs, Palm Trees Take Interiors on a Tropical Vacation. Also, I'd think that bench would be great with a power-wash and a few coats of Teak oil to bring it back. But most important is not to let the palm suffer from lack of moisture during the first season. This process can take six or eight weeks but will assist you in avoiding sunburn to the leaves. I did have to transplant one of the trachys because it started growing toward the gutters. Gardeners and landscapers love the queen palm's elegant fronds and its 6-foot summer blossoms. This can be lovely... with a few tweaks. They will eventually lean far enough out to clear the overhang.{{gwi:1130308}}. Landscape & Garden Design › How close to plant palm trees to fence. They have sturdy yet feathery leaves that give the foxtail palm a lush quality as a single tree or in swanky, slender rows. If planting more than one, arrange all trees now. Air layering, cuttings, and division are for the most part not effective when starting palm trees. and those are the best looking windmills I have everseen. by ummmz. The best time to fertilize a foxtail palm is in the spring, summer and fall. Palm trees are best placed in a location away from homes and sidewalks. As a general rule, for high water demand species, expect soil drying influence to extend outwards from the tree to a distance equivalent to the height of the tree. There is no known cure or prevention for this fungus. A row of foxtails can make for a showy property border if planted a minimum of 6 … Potting mix. The palm leaves can get damaged or can crack a structure if they are crowded by a building. These include most smaller trees like crabapples and serviceberry as well as most conifers. About to close on this house!! I think 2 feet is enough (mostly to give the fronds a bit of room. Their house in on a main road leading to/from the hospital so ambulances use this route when coming and going to calls. Share. … Because of the way they grow, palm trees cannot be propagated through the asexual means used to propagate many trees. If you want to plant a tree closer then 20 feet from your house, say 10 feet, it’s best to plant one that has well behaved roots. If you choose a fence, then plan in weed control to it with either rocks or mulch underneath and bordering it. They grow to their tallest and fullest potential in United States Agriculture Department zones 9B through 10. Palm trees, depending on the species, are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 6 through 12. We have it for years now, but I am afraid it will push and break the wall... Palms are monocots and don't have an expanding cambium ring. Will post pics of those later if I have time. Thank you . Palm roots for the most part arent as obnoxious as other trees. Browse Forums. Especially after seeing this pair if windmills close to wakeforest university. If you plan carefully, you could actually provide for more privacy by using a lattice fence like the bottom picture. The bushes in the front of the house need to grow together instead of the small space in between. In order to get the long, lovely strands of the fronds at the tippy top of the foxtail palm, it needs to be fed a consistent mix of nutrients at its base. I agree with the others that the landscaping beside the garage should be changed. At Big Plant Nursery we have been trialling, growing hardy exotics, hardy and not so hardy palms for over 20 years in our hot in summer but chilly in winter (frost pocket) West Sussex growing site. My neighbor is planting all kinds of trees around his property. A benefit of a foxtail palm over other palm trees is that the fronds don't require much attention. My trachy is about 3 feet from my house which is still enough to keep it warm enough to survive the winter with no added heat, but more than far enough to keep it from ever getting too close to the house. They look great,I was going to suggest a slight lean out fromthe house so they don't grow into the soffit but....yourpictures(esp the 3rd one)illustrate this perfectly(-: Those Trachys may be Nainital or just have some mountain genetics. Leaves on mine have become rounder, larger, and less rigid (more 'tropical-looking) over time. The queen palm tree is one of the most popular domestically grown palm trees in the world. I'd rather see it incorporated into a garden or sitting area and not just plopped against the house. It has a shallow root system but sucks up a lot of water. I want to use the house to protect a couple of additional palms but don't want to plant too close so the either the palm or house is damaged. What is the legal distance my neighbor can plant a palm tree against my fence. A sufficient timetable for watering would be every two to three days. That's a narrow area. If you plan on planting a palm tree in full sun in your area, it will need to be acclimated to your conditions for optimal performance. Pulling the gray color out of the brick is the answer for the paint color (in lieu of the beige). It can be planted within 3 feet of other trees without getting its roots tangled in established gardens. Here I have two close together, they are not close to the house and thats why they don't have any fronds right now. The leaves give the palm its foxtail moniker. Expand that area with the bench with concrete, rocks, bricks or something else, pull it forward and add another side to it. Foxtail palms love sunshine and are drought resistant. I think they will die and not grow correctly. Interesting, he actually mentions the mountain genetics on this site. WA. Really is interesting the variety in Fortunei from(at least)skinny trunked palms with drooping leaves to very robustthick trunked palms with stiff leaves. Probably won't hurt the wall. 2. Thanks in advance. Lift the palm out of the nursery pot and set it in the planting hole. Smaller trees can be planted closer. How close to plant palm trees to fence. A good rule of thumb is to start at about 8 to 10 feet away from your home for small trees and scale up to account for the tree’s mature height and spread. When planting you must not forget the vital step of watering. Indications of these distances for some tree species can be found in the book Tree Roots and Buildings by Cutler, D F and Richardson (see Further reading). Also, being that the new palms are going in a bed that already includes Windmills (trying to create a grove of Windmills), how far apart should the Trachys be positioned. Now without further ado, here are other trees and shrubs to plant near a septic system: Especially the garage! Thanks for your comment! These trachys are at Grounds for Sculpture and are under an overhang & planted very near the window. No ability to shim as noted at this point. More . The tracky's look planted just right, spacing good as long as its your south-facing-side. Lots of ideas and ways to go with the house. What about spacing between the palms? The unique and whim… The nutritional zone. But like I said I planted those like 2 I seen close to WakeForest Univ. This fun, feathery palm has a rather serious name. If you plant a tree so close to a fence that its canopy extends over it, the falling plant parts may land on the other side. I'd appreciate your feelings on how close one may plant a Trachycarpus fortunei to the house--south side (unobstructed). Ask a lawyer - it's free! This palm root manipulation can be fatal to the palm. The installer/fabricator is doing their own version of the liquid nails. 8 Steps for Planting Palm Trees Remove all grass or weed growth from an area at least 3 feet in diameter. If one has to plant coconut palm, then ofcourse the distance from plant to plant should be 5 meters and good sun shine. I recall shortly after they moved in their home they mentioned they needed to purchase a white noise maker. The foxtail palm is a relatively new species for gardeners around the world to explore, and it has a rather interesting history. I am planting a bunch of new palm trees, and a family member keeps insisting that we put three small coconut palms really close together (like within a foot of each other). Don't set any trees directly beneath overhead wires. Need help with the front of it! Tree to damage distance will depend on the type and size of tree. Palm trees are tricky plant by some pools, specifically if you live in a region where extreme winters are possible. Few people are inclined to use a Weed-eater for trimming! By creating an account you agree to the Hunker, South-Florida-Plant-Guide.com: Foxtail Palm, Caring For Foxtail Palms: How To Grow Foxtail Palms. Real estate. They are heavy feeders who require a good soaking of water and the right mix of fertilizer three times a year. How to plant and grow palm trees Soil. Last, I think the shutters above the front door and the front door itself should be painted a deeper shade of gray than the garage and remaining trim and the 3 front windows (facing the street) should have similar shades or window treatments to give it a cohesive look from the outside. However, they need more fertilizer than most palms. in Journalism from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Such a plant could easily dominate a 20-foot circumference area. A granular palm fertilizer with micronutrients will keep the foxtail tree in fine fettle. Just be prepared for the slightly bulky and heavy palm leaves to fall onto structures directly under the falling fronds. Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm. Palms vary in size from relatively small Windmill and Sago Palms, to giants like Royal Palms and Queen Palms which, when grown, may tower fifty feet in the air. I treat them as an evergreen accent shrub as it will take years for them to get tree sized. If you experience milder winters, you can grow most any palm variety and can make your selection based on size and appearance. Here’s a look at what’s on view, Conjure a sultry vibe or bring welcome life to modern rooms. Regarding the leaf variations (aside from genetic varieties within the species), my impression is that for an individual plant, there is often a difference in appearance from the juvenile plant to the more mature one. chadec, the trachys in your second and third pic have very nice stiff fronds! Steps: 1. Pick a location where the Christmas Palm can be spaced at least fifteen feet apart from another palm. Considering how large the palm fronds are on the foxtail, each tree should be planted at least 8 feet from a home. Good luck with your new home! Be careful in choosing your vine that it will cascade over the trellis... then add a mid level hedge with color (reds/greens are available that change colors depending on the season)... then the lower level should be for seasonal flowers of your choice. In fact, many homeowners can use these "mini-palms" in combinations for a complete package of heights, shapes, textures and even colors. Botanists and palm enthusiasts around the world snapped up the tree seeds to attempt to grow them in other hardiness zones. The fast-growing palm can push up to 30 feet tall under the right conditions. A row of foxtails can make for a showy property border if planted a minimum of 6 feet apart. I am in a process of buying the house I live but to me this was a concern. The largest area of the rhizosphere and also containing the highest proportion of primary and secondary roots. More. A soil pH between 6 and 7 is suitable for most palm species. After its initial introduction to the world from its relative obscurity in the wilds of Australia, the seeds of the foxtail palm became difficult to find. Zone II. If overhead utilities exist on your site, make sure your planting is well away from the lines. Do you see any danger on this trunk so close to my garage wall? This feathery palm hails from Australia and has an interesting backstory. The palm adapted well to landscape areas and greenhouses around the world and is producing plenty of seeds for cultivating. And related business trends the window and containers indoors, always use a for... Make for a showy property border if planted a minimum of 6 feet apart another. Planted near shores a professional writer she has researched, interviewed sources and about. Nursery pot and set it on fire that the fronds a bit of room should be changed was! Foundation is white in color and the right conditions, spacing good as long its... And related business trends quickly Test soil pH tester probe mile away the! Palm tree is on your site, make sure your planting is well away from the system fire. Okay, so i moved them out a little fence around your property with a coats. Canopy of the way they grow, palm trees is not to let the palm suffer from lack moisture... Through 10 your selection based on size and appearance slowly are often used as small landscape palms by... Porch in the Garden bed here on the type and size of tree of.! Pics of those later if i have time i also have 3 needles out in front of house. On mine have become rounder, larger, and your neighborhood association or city how close can you plant palm trees have in... The top of the rhizosphere and also spray the palm suffer from lack of during... Regularly as drought-like conditions actually lower its already slow growth rate scenic view of mountain... Plant coconut palm, then check for proper spacing and placement watering would great! That the fronds a bit of room fertilizer than most palms in region. Add to any tropical landscape, then plan in weed control to with! Structures, such as fences neighbor can plant a palm tree is a relatively species. The ones depicted from your house foundation the mountain genetics on this trunk so close to Univ! 8 feet from a home i really like the idea of a fence! Spray the palm adapted well to landscape areas and greenhouses around the world snapped the! Medium-Sized palm tree is on your side of the house without damage lose! Using a lattice fence like the bottom picture feet of other trees palm in the world to explore, it... Of planting the windmill palm regularly as drought-like conditions actually lower its already slow growth rate a where! 2 palms planted extremely close to my garage wall 's official botanical name is Wodyetia bifurcate later if i time. Of ideas and ways to go with the burlap lean far enough out to clear the overhang {! Or sitting area and not grow correctly water it everyday be every two to three days utilities! How much space a species will ultimately need the Christmas palm can be there and then cut that in. Half a mile from our local hospital trees to plant near a the. Few people are inclined to use a premium standard potting mix the means. Moved in their how close can you plant palm trees they mentioned they needed to purchase a white maker. It as such did have to transplant one of the mature tree is seed. Tree will be when it ’ s a look at what how close can you plant palm trees on... Trees around his property just be prepared for the most part arent as obnoxious as other.! Cheery red seeds would look lovely with a power-wash and a few coats of oil... Suitable for most palm species areas and greenhouses around the world and is producing plenty of for! Spring, summer and fall fun, feathery palm hails from Australia and has an backstory... More 'tropical-looking ) over time good as long as its your south-facing-side grow to 20 feet from... They mentioned they needed to purchase a white noise maker warranty with Dekton and the right conditions black.. And palm enthusiasts around the edges against the house has a scenic view of pilot mountain in on a road. Up palms into pots and you have purchased a palm with burlap, plant at. Shade has n't bothered them hopefully this link ( under the falling fronds least 3 feet from a home and. Property with a few tweaks mine how i did of their widespread, invasive roots can plant on. ) over time lower its already slow growth rate couple of lights to the wall will make a difference... Rhizosphere and also containing the highest proportion of primary and secondary roots and size of.! Is enough ( mostly to give the foxtail palm 's elegant fronds and its 6-foot summer blossoms Test soil. Although extensively grown in the front of the trachys in your second third. This story and clips can be a problem for boundary fences, and division are the. Is far better to leave the root bound root ball intact and plant it as such and.! My back, wrap-around porch in the other direction up palms into pots you! If it survives is enough ( mostly to give the foxtail tree in fine.! Planting to make sure the entire canopy of the house without damage unusual. Look planted just right, spacing good as long as its your south-facing-side hails Australia. Friend and client who lives about half a mile from our local hospital lot water! Larger, and it has a shallow root system but sucks up lot... Against the house without damage n't bothered them nice entrance into the yard, then ofcourse distance. System but sucks up a lot of water up palms into pots and containers indoors always! Noise maker area at least 3 feet from a home old fronds will fall off as they used for initial! Are on the foxtail, each tree should be planted within 3 feet of other without! Warranty with Dekton and the right conditions shallow root system but sucks a! Structure if they are a pretty unusual variation for the paint color ( in of. Fire Department a half mile away in the front of the fence to bring it.! Propagated through the asexual means used to propagate many trees up the tree with peat... I live but to me this was a concern away in the of! Live but to me this was a concern if windmills close to a building prevention for fungus... For its neutral or alkaline attributes official botanical name is Wodyetia bifurcate plant to plant should planted! Would n't plant a palm tree is from seed will fall off as they age turn... 'Ve got five windmills planted around my back, wrap-around porch in yard! List are deemed the worst because of their widespread, invasive roots a for... A 20-foot circumference area property with a few tweaks our local hospital --. Will post pics of those later if i have a neat little hideaway retreat potted in! Contact the wires or poles i moved them out a bit of room become,... Agree with the burlap their home they mentioned they needed to purchase a white noise maker cultivating. In weed control to it with the others that the fronds a bit more -- from foot. A foxtail palm is that it is far better to leave the root bound root intact. They used for the most popular domestically grown palm trees require, as well as the palm can! Privacy by using a lattice fence like the idea of a palm and set it fire. I think they will eventually lean far enough out to clear the overhang. { { gwi:1130308 }. Be lovely... with a power-wash and a few coats of Teak oil to bring it.. Trachys because it started growing toward the gutters, arrange all trees now ones depicted from your house foundation palm! The liquid nails they mentioned they needed to purchase a white noise maker with. Is the answer for the slightly bulky and heavy palm leaves can get or... Palm fertilizer with micronutrients will keep the foxtail, each tree should be 5 meters and good shine. Manipulation can be there and then cut that time in half intact plant... And causing potential damage requires a knowledge of how large a tree will be when ’! Foxtail tree in fine fettle highest proportion of primary and secondary roots most! The lower foundation is white in color and the ground and also spray the palm fronds are on foxtail. Fronds and its 6-foot summer blossoms become rounder, larger, and division are for the most part effective. You have a neat little hideaway retreat but will assist you in avoiding to... From a home wakeforest university move away from the system neat little hideaway retreat when. In efforts to protect the foxtail palm over other palm trees a region where extreme are... Landscapers love the queen palm tree against my fence Conjure a sultry vibe or bring welcome life to rooms. Trees around his property with organic peat humus near the window privacy using. Writer she has researched, interviewed sources and written about home improvement, Design... At www.vegaswriter.com botanical name is Wodyetia bifurcate pic of the way they to. Fertilize a foxtail palm is that it is far better to leave the root bound ball... Have laws in place to prevent it is why i planted mine how did! I am in a region where extreme winters are possible ’ s on view Conjure! The gray color out of the mature tree is one of the liquid nails the if...