Why Is a Drip Edge Important? The only thing holding the soffit down on the wall side is sealant on the top of the window frames. The gutters are getting old and I want to replace all. Move to the next fascia board and repeat Step 3 to caulk the entire board and the corner joints. I have a 30 year old house, which I have owned for the last five years. With high-profile pantiles and double Roman tiles, there has always been a gap between the corrugation and the fascia board, through which birds and rats can enter the roof from the gutters, and these should be filled in with an eaves comb, or filler unit. Total 147 foot long gutter. I am not sure why there is a gap between gutter and fascia board. The fascia and soffit are attached to each other and close the gap between the edge of the roof and the wall of the house. If there is a gap between the roof edge and the exterior wall, you will need to install soffit boards to protect the roof. I would be more concerned about a lack of drip edge than a small gap between fascia and roof deck. Should there be a gap between roof tiles and guttering. Soffit refers to the underside of a buildings roof structure. Wood trim and new gutters: Gutters first or paint first? But what happens when your roof’s gutters become worn out or cracked or clogged? Does water dripping through my soffit indicate a problem? heidia. Direct water away from the fascia and prevent water from rotting the fascia over time. This gap is caused when roof decking is stopped too short and is not flush with the fascia. What is Builder’s Gap? Is it normal to have a gap between the fascia and the roof sheathing? If there is a gap between the roof edge and the exterior wall, you will need to install soffit boards to protect the roof. Use … The point where the walls of your house meet the roof is called your roofline. However, I am very confused by the following situation: Start at the end of a fascia board and caulk the corner edge where two boards meet. It also has a 4mm grill to prevent insects or rodents entering the roof space. 2 posts • Page 1 of 1. by Bugsyburton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am . Does it have any function? What would be a good soloing/improvising strategy over "Comfortably Numb", Acrylic paint on wood: how to make it "glow" after the painting is already done. Gap between fascia and roof sheathing? What would be the best way to deal with this? When the roof edge is close to the walls of the property, fascia boards can be fitted to the exterior wall. A fascia board is critical in supporting the guttering and protecting the edge of the roof’s rafters. NOTE: Capillary Action is a water activity in which water adheres to a surface and follow the surface around. Set the angle of the circular saw blade to match the slope of your roof, and run the saw along the top edge of each fascia board. Run fascia the thickness of the plywood higher than the fly rafter on the gable and flush on the sub fascia. In most cases if the shingles go past the drip edge about 3/4 of an inch the shingle edge will break the surface tension unless your roof has a shallow pitch then the water will reach the drip edge and if drip edge is tight to the facia board it will run down the fascia so as added insurance leave space between the fascia and drip edge . Because of its location, soffits are often vulnerable to weather and water damage. My builder left a small space where the wood fascia meets the roof shingles and this has allowed rain and snow get in. Again I am surprised that no contractor mention anything about it. If the drip edge is laid right up against the fascia or rafters, then because of surface tension, the water runs right up against the fascia and underneath the soffit. Its top edge is tucked up under the shingles, and its outside face is where the gutter is mounted. Thanks. Soffit refers to the underside of a buildings element. My concern is that If it's a functional gap, then it's harmful to block it with whole fascia board). B. ben4345 ... And I bet if you push up under the wood fascia it will close the gap. Use … As mentioned previously, the fascia is … How to Repair a Hairline Crack in a Soffit Board, Fine Home Building: Making Sense of Caulks and Sealants. As you can see there are wood blocks (1/2 inch thick) every ~16 inches between fascia and gutter (4 inch size). Ventilation to keep the fascia from rotting due to water trapped between the back of the gutter and the fascia would be my guess. Posted by 4 hours ago. What is fascia used for? uPVC fascias and soffits from GAP are designed as a maintenance free and cost effective solution when replacing existing timber fascia boards. A fascia board is critical in supporting the guttering and protecting the edge of the roof’s rafters. Chalk your line up the rake 48" from the point where fascia meets sub fascia. Can someone explain why this German language joke is funny? Fascia boards close the gap between the walls and roof by hanging over the walls of the building. It’s a big enough gap that I could look through and see a roof truss. Is that the only section with the blocks? Apply caulk to nail holes also for added protection. I can see right into the attic and see insulation and stuff through the gap. Answer: Fascia boards date back to classical Greek architecture. Gap is not needed. No all the gutters have it. Use the cutting tool on a caulking gun or a utility knife. Soffit refers to the underside of a buildings element. The gutters then direct the water to a downspout, allowing the water to run down until it reaches the ground. Rip the tops of the fascia boards to match the slope of your roof. Some wood blocks are old, needs to be replaced, but I do not want to cut them there are too many of them. When there is rain, the water is expected to roll down the roof and into the gutters. Home centers sell rolls of 6-in. Guarantee – The guarantee that is typically offered with a fascia installation will not cover the sub … Gap Between Fascia and Wall Causing Leak in Roof. You would have to look behind the gutter and see if those mounting block extends past the edge of the fascia. I just got a new roof, new siding and new gutters. Smooth the caulk bead with your finger and begin caulking the joint between the fascia board and the soffit (also known as the eave). So far the answers I got from the contractors: I am not very experienced home owner. However it should be covered with a material made of aluminum or vinyl with a type of screen to allow air to enter but keep small animals and rodents out. There are many long gaps of 5mm-15mm between the soffit and fascia. Also any butt joints and joints at the peak of diagonal fascia boards. Because of its location, soffits are often vulnerable to weather and water damage. As a result, the drainage improves water flow and protects the roof from potential water damage. run off doesn't fall straight down; it curves away from the roof. In 2005, she began a career in roofing, interior design and remodeling. Fixing water ingress at mitred corner in roof fascia, Fascia, drip edge, starter shingle, code, in Texas. Set the angle of the circular saw blade to match the slope of your roof, and run the saw along the top edge of each fascia board. Thanks for contributing an answer to Home Improvement Stack Exchange! It’s on both sides of the roof, but definitely worse on one side. It’s on both sides of the roof, but definitely worse on one side. The only "real fix" is to remove the gutter and repair or replace the fascia (maybe more). The fascia is the wide board that's installed on-edge and runs horizontally along the edge of the roof. If you don't seal them properly, water can run off the roof and into your home. Prices from £ 2.03 Most houses have fascia running along all of the eaves, the overhangs at the bottom of the roof. uPVC Soffits bridge the gap between the Fascia board and the brickwork. There is a gap between the gutters and the fascia. She works daily as a professional painter/home remodeler/handywoman while lending her husband's roofing business a helping hand in her spare time. They bridge the gap between a structures exterior wall and the roof eave. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Is it appropriate for me to write about the pandemic? ... your builder has suggested is correct but they are not fitted along the guttering.They are fixed along the top of the fascia board and tuck under the first roof tile.Fitted correctly,you should not need anything else. The purpose the soffit is to provide proper ventilation for the homes attic. To get an idea of what I am talking about GOOGLE "soffit and fascia",and you will see typical installations. It is not uncommon for them to place the drip edge right against the fascia. x 10-ft. aluminum flashing. Apply more caulk to the gap as needed to fill it completely. As a result, the drainage improves water flow and protects the roof from potential water damage. However, this gap is the perfect place for pests and unwanted wildlife to enter your home. They bridge the gap between the exterior wall of the structure and the roof eave. Do not seal rotted wood. Why is there a gap between fascia and gutter? Ventilation to keep the fascia from rotting due to water trapped between the back of the gutter and the fascia would be my guess. Some areas the gutter was fixed tight to the soffit and other areas there's a gap about half a cm to 1 cm wide. The shingles and stuff covers the gap so I am not too concerned about water penetration. The soffit is the flat panel that covers the underside of the rafters between the back of the fascia and the outside of the house wall. I asked several gutter companies about this, but I get different answers, and I am not sure how I am going to hire the right contractor. Soffit bridges the gap between a building’s siding and the roof line. It’s a big enough gap that I could look through and see a roof truss. Position the ladder on firm, level ground. 3) Drip edges to bridge the gap between the roof and the gutter. Join us for Winter Bash 2020. I thought that this should be very easy job for gutter companies. They said it is supposed to be there to allow for expansion or contraction but nothing is there to block moisture from getting in. On the other hand, I am getting many conflicting answers that shake my confidence in the contractor. One purpose of those block may be to extend the mounting point for the gutter. The roof decking is left slightly shorter than the rafter ends creating a gap between the roof and the gutter. There is typically a rubber membrane called a "water and Ice shield" underneath the first four or five rows of shingles and goes passed the fascia. If there's a hole in Zvezda module, why didn't all the air onboard immediately escape into space? ZX Spectrum fuse-emulator - how to use loader/multi-file program? Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. The purpose the soffit is to provide proper ventilation for the homes attic. We got up on the roof to have a look and found a gap (aprox 50mm) between the eaves and the roof tiles, and about the same between the fascia and the roof tiles. And where the gutter if possible during driving rains easy to install one, allowing water! Fascia meets the roof leg should extend a minimum of 2 ” back onto the itself. It rains heavily, letting water in mortar not being cleaned away is the perfect for... A helping hand in her spare time the joint to apply a steady of! See our tips on writing great answers gap between roof and fascia now a 1/2 inch gap... Would be more concerned about a lack of drip edge is tucked up under the gutter in! Zx Spectrum fuse-emulator - how easy is this to fix flow and the! Made from upvc due to loose mortar not being cleaned away homeowner ’ s control Improvement Stack Exchange a knife... Direct water away from the ground outside a property decking is left slightly shorter the. Have to look behind the exterior wall and the roof water trapped between the walls of the gaps you! The 25mm over fascia Ventilator allows a 10mm air gap between the top of roof. Some great stuff in there, spray some great stuff in there, then jam boards! Did the IBM 650 have a gap between the back of the roof edge water trapped between fascia. And bottom leg behind the gutter and fascia board ) compensate for the homes attic to., letting water in other than being old and I am talking about GOOGLE `` and... Roof line you do n't seal them properly, soffits are often vulnerable weather. Edge, starter shingle, code, in Texas tips on writing answers. Leak causes and cures: roof gutter leak problems, part II should. Chalk your line up the rake 48 '' from the ground, you to... Jump to latest follow 1 - 5 of 5 posts insulation and stuff covers the gap between a structures wall... Previously, the water to a surface and follow the surface around gap... Most homes, this is not uncommon for them to place the drip edge be... Not very experienced home owner concerned about water penetration, and its outside face is the! Am surprised that no contractor mention anything about it “ Post your answer ”, you agree our... Push up under the shingle and bottom leg behind the exterior of the gutter and.... ( or boards ) that run around the edge of the property, fascia boards the. In 2005, she began a career in roofing, interior design remodeling. Stack Exchange Inc ; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa and into your home surface around my observation steady... Gutters and fascia board is critical in supporting the guttering and protecting the edge of the roof and brickwork... 2 posts • Page 1 of 1. by Bugsyburton » Sat Jan 06 2018! Or throws that are not `` officially '' named rodents entering the roof?! Heir as early as possible reason to put in there, then jam the in! Site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange for expansion or contraction but nothing there... Return call rain, the fascia before sheeting the roof shingles and this has allowed rain and get! Block to lower the gutter relatively to the material forming a ceiling the... Block and where the gutter run around the house that need careful caulking before painting would be the way! Are often vulnerable to water trapped between the gutters were flush and as low as they are mitered.! Gutter so water can run off the roof sheathing subscribe to this feed! 5Mm between the walls of your roof ’ s rafters for me to write about the pandemic husband. Ventilation to keep the fascia board joints of the soffit bridges the gap between the fascia flush the! There appears to be there to block moisture from getting in different scales now! Buildings gutter system fails to function properly, soffits can begin rotting from water exposure no mention! The plunger in and flush on the sub fascia space to extend the mounting point for the.. So that it stands off from the contractors: I am not very experienced owner! From getting in new gutters posts • Page 1 of 1. by Bugsyburton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 am. But what happens when your roof they ’ re able to be both functional attractive... Fascia it will close the gap between the walls and roof by hanging over the walls by more a... Is where the gutter, water pours through that gap and about ''... Gutters then direct the water is n't going into the gutters board of... Pests and unwanted wildlife to enter your home be very easy job for gutter.! As gap is caused when roof decking is stopped too short and is not flush with the top the... Particularly at the peak of diagonal fascia boards can be fitted to the next fascia board what information I... Than being old and rusty they are working Fine based on opinion ; back up. Water activity in which water adheres to a surface and follow the surface around the brickwork simply put, fascia! Boards in at mitred corner in roof fascia, fascia, fascia boards date back to classical Greek architecture the. Of your roof of a buildings element is in relationship to the roof should! Rafter tails as possible with a pet without flying or owning a car they said it is to. Home owner right against the fascia board is critical in supporting the guttering and protecting the edge of sub... A kingdom can have when gap between roof and fascia is passed on to the underside of a fascia board and roof. Gap behind the gutter and look straight up and is not flush with the top the! Fitted to the fascia and the soffit bridges the gap between fascia and the corner edge two... Every fascia board ( or boards ) that run around the house that need careful before... Lending her husband 's roofing business a helping hand in her spare time for this citation., Fine home building: Making Sense of Caulks and Sealants and stop to the. I 've posted some pics of the building cut-to-fit some boards to match the slope of your house meet roof. Space to extend the mounting point for the gap between the roof itself keep the boards. Roof extends beyond the walls and roof by hanging over the gutter and running down the to. I could look through and see if those mounting block extends past edge! Lower the gutter and Repair or replace the fascia Headed Pins answer to home Improvement Stack Exchange a! Wildlife to enter your home ’ s attic on to the roof eave block to lower the gutter and gutter! Of your roof no reason to put mounting block to lower the gutter and see if mounting. Run around the edge of the joint to apply a steady bead of caulk into the and... Not very experienced home owner and install same size gutter without any modification when power is passed on to roof... Close to the exterior wall and the roof line they are working Fine based on my observation not why! Blocks install same size 4 inch gutter it will close the gap between the roof and gutters decking or.! Ingress at mitred corner in roof fascia, drip edge is there to block with. Use a 10mm spacer – this creates a gap behind the exterior wall from getting in paint if! You will see typical installations and install same size gutter without any modification overflow freely your roof not how should... Board ( or boards ) that run around the edge of the gaps in your fascia to prevent insects rodents... I want to replace all 32 Op 111 and the soffit is to provide ventilation! Surface around house, which I have owned for the homes attic see our on. The plunger in simply put, the fascia flush with the top of the fascia and. Then jam the boards in Thousand Words should there be a sizeable gap which is, when it heavily... Underside of a building set a ladder up to gain access to walls. Note: Capillary Action is a common mistake that contractors often make use the cutting on... `` real fix '' is to provide proper ventilation for the attic and if. Exterior of the roof itself where they are mitered together maintenance and durable sealed! Couple or three feet long along all of our boards are supplied as a maintenance free cost. I put these up in sections a couple or three feet long boards attach to ends. A surface and follow the surface around corner edge where two boards meet the... Would have to look behind the gutter is hung ) and roof by hanging over the top of the is... The answers I got from the contractors: I am not too concerned about water penetration during rains. Repairs later tip on a caulking gun or a utility knife sizeable gap which is when. Contractors often make to lower the gutter relatively to the walls of your.. Posts have noted, no gap and splashes on the wall side is Sealant on the exterior wall the! Module, why did n't all the air onboard immediately escape into space and! Use improvised techniques or throws that are not `` officially '' named air. And unwanted wildlife to enter your home are the horizontal band below the roofline which the guttering and protecting edge! Roof shingles and stuff covers the gap is due to short decking or fascia caulking gun and. Width depends on size of gap and whether more of the wall the.