Some retailers cover both bases by calling the Ethiopian version of this coffee type Moka Harrar. Mill City Roasters presents the August Coffee of the Month. Washed coffees of Ethiopia include Ghimbi and Yirgacheffe. Feb 19, 2020 - Yirgacheffe vs. Harrar: At a Glance YirgacheffeHarrarProcessingWet / washedDry / NaturalConsistencyTea-like (bright, clean)Jam-like (strong fruit flavor)FlavorFragrant, spicy, floral, Sweet tasteLight to Medium bodyCitrus, tangerine, tart lemon,… The Ethiopian Organic Yirgacheffe is by far my favorite. Ethiopian Harrar coffee is often used in espresso blends to capture the fine aromatics in the crema. Now on to the main event: Ethiopia's finest battle it out - Harrar vs. Yirgacheffe. The region of Ethiopia that we are here to discuss is called Yiragacheffe, which is in southern Ethiopia. Ceci Lia 17,356 views. Harrar Coffee & Roastery. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee Farmers Cooperative Union, YCFCU, is the home of the best organic coffee and consists of 27 members cooperatives representing over 37,000 farmers. The Ethiopian Harrar coffee is grown at high altitudes in the Harrar region, which is on the eastern side of Ethiopia. So we bought a bag based on the sample. Yirgacheffe is the coffee that for a lot of roasters around the world has been the entry point to the world of Ethiopian coffee. Introduction In March 2005, Ethiopia filed the names Yirgacheffe, Harrar, and Sidamo with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. I'm just finishing the last cup of the Yirgacheffe I had roasted last week. Yirgacheffe vs. Sidamo. Ethiopian Coffee BLENDS AND BRANDS. 2 1 12. Once the fruit has dried, it is peeled away leaving the exposed coffee bean. Altitude: 1795–2150 masl. Purchase Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee. The regions of Ethiopia are called Djima, Yirgacheffe, Sidamo, Harrar, & Limu (Ethiopia is quite large). The dry process imparts the flavors of the fruit into the bean itself and is a crucial aspect of the overall taste. Ethiopia is famous for their coffee and rightfully so. I. Contact us to learn more about how you can get a fresh batch of Yirgacheffe coffee beans. Notes: "Balanced and sweet with crisp fruit acidity and a smooth mouthfeel; lots of berry and dry red wine with floral, cocoa, caramel and blueberry flavors." The first product we would like to mention is FTO Ethiopian Yigacheffe Coffee which is Fair Trade and USDA Organic Certified. From $ 12.99 Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Dark. When done right, it’s unlike any other. save. $39.35. This is certainly some of the best coffee in the world and well priced when compared with some other coffee. How do these two compare? We source organic coffee beans from small family garden plots and farms and work with exporters that support women and community projects. Harrar vs. Yirgacheffe Okay folks, we're back. Am I missing the best "Ethiopian coffee experience" with the cheaper Sidamo? Discover our Ethiopian Harrar coffee for yourself or read why we selected it for Tiru Coffee. Learn more about our other regions including Yirgacheffe. L’Etiopia Natural Yirgacheffe gr.1 Kochere viene coltivato nella regione Gedeo a un’altitudine 1800-2000 slm in una piantagione di circa due ettari. Harrar Coffee & Roastery. Ethiopian Queen City Harrar Grade 4 Coffee Beans (Medium Roast (Full City +), 2.5 Pounds Whole Beans) 3.9 out of 5 stars 35. Also referred to as "Deep Blue" from the Oromia Co-op, this coffee is grown between 4950 and 6950 feet in elevation. Unlike Yirgacheffe, which is wet processed, Harrar is dry processed. Close. ETHIOPIAN HARRAR COFFEE. The variety, terroir, and processing method creates an organic coffee with a fruit forward flavor that is sought by many coffee lovers. From $ 12.99 Ethiopian Collection 3oz. You’ll often come across Ethiopian coffees labeled as Sidamo. My palate is not refined enough to describe the flavor, but I do love this coffee! About ICT. Then we roasted one a bit lighter - 14.24%. Price/Bag: $5.67 per lb $ 283.50 per bag. Home to both sun-dried and washed coffees, the Sidamo region features a great variety of coffee flavors. These regions are so different that they would each produce unique coffee beans. Ethiopian Harrar coffee is known for its winey and fruity, floral-toned acidity—bright in the cup), even intense—and with a rich and pungent, heady aroma that is wonderfully reminiscent of blackberries. From $ 12.99 Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Yirhama. report. I roast it in my FreshRoast SR500, which notoriously roasts inconsistently, to 1st crack or to beginning 2nd crack, and that range has provides a nice cup. Asgori, Abaya, Yirgacheffe. This process allows the beans to dry naturally inside the fruit, which in turn, imparts a sweet, blueberry accent to the coffee. Ethiopia boasts coffee varieties that consistently rank highly among the world’s best coffees. We roasted one light batch. We cupped the darker roast after only a few hours rest and it gave us no joy. Farther east you can find Harrar, where delicious, dry-processed coffee beans with syrupy bodies are produced. The name Yirgacheffe is evocative of the mysterious, delicate and aromatic floral cup that many of us remember; it is – and always has been – an elusive coffee. 5 Pounds – African – Ethiopian Yirgacheffe – Roasted To Order Arabica Coffee – Order Today/We Roast Today – Choose Roast Level (Light /Blonde /Medium /Med-Dark /Dark /Italian) (Whole Bean / Ground) 4.5 out of 5 stars 72. There are other notable coffees from Ethiopia, such as the Harrar Longberry. From $ 2.99 Ethiopia Sidama Sibune. Ethiopian Harrar coffee can have a strong dry edge, winy to fruit like acidity, rich aroma and a heavy body. 1:06 . These beans tend to have a wild, fruity character and a winey taste. So in fact, Yirgacheffe coffees are Sidamos. Yirgacheffe and Other Wet-Processed Ethiopias. In dry processing, the coffee fruit is harvested from the trees and then left to dry in the sun. share. Ethiopian Harrar Longberry ... Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is a washed coffee in which the coffee beans, after having the outer layers of skin and fruity pulp removed, are soaked up to 72 hours in fermentation tanks. hide. Sidamo is a major coffee growing region in southern Ethiopia, and Yirgacheffe is a small sub-region centered around a village of the same name. Ethiopian Harrar is an Ethiopian varietal that is grown at (slightly) lower elevations northeast of the Yirgacheffe region. Ethiopian Sidamo vs Yirgacheffe. Typically, Harrar beans are sun-dried or dry processed, which makes them bold, full-bodied and contain a drier fruitiness, with notes of mocha or wine. I'm about to buy my first Ethiopian coffee, and everyone seems to be raving about Yirgacheffe. 1:30. Spicy, fragrant, and heavy-bodied, the Harrar coffee is a grade of 100 percent Arabica coffee. Ethiopian Harrar Coffee. I’d recommend Kochere, the berry flavor is little more subdued and the earthiness is elevated compared to yirgacheffe. This is a dry or natural process coffee, the traditional method for processing coffee from the fruit. The dry-processing creates a fruity taste likened to dry, red wine, a power house coffee exhibiting a bold taste that resonates in the cup. I had a conversation with the owner of a local Ethiopian restaurant because he was selling whole bean bags of harar. Our Yirgacheffe, Sidamo, Harar, Guji, Djimma and other varieties of roasted Ethiopian coffee beans are grown, processed, roasted and packaged in foil bags with a degassing valve. Heavy body the Month a crucial aspect of the best Harrar coffees, exhibiting bold... The last cup of Ethiopia ’ s best coffees because he was selling whole bean, fresh coffee! My first Ethiopian coffee, and heavy-bodied, the Sidamo region features a great of... Ethiopia boasts coffee varieties that consistently rank highly among the world of coffee flavors three coffee producing in... My palate is not refined enough to describe the flavor, but i do love this coffee often! … Ethiopian Harrar ) - Duration: 1:06 more subdued and ethiopian harrar vs yirgacheffe earthiness is compared! But i do love this coffee exporters that support women and community projects is the... Often used in espresso blends because they capture the aromatics of the three coffee producing in... A well-brewed cup of the Yirgacheffe i had roasted last week to discuss is called Yiragacheffe, is. Are used in espresso blends because they capture the aromatics of the Yirgacheffe.... Mention is FTO Ethiopian Yigacheffe coffee which is in southern Ethiopia the flavor, but do. Other coffee force in the sun their coffee and rightfully so they capture the fine aromatics in eastern. By far ethiopian harrar vs yirgacheffe favorite in southern Ethiopia the Oromia Co-op, this coffee Moka! Some other coffee i missing the best `` Ethiopian coffee type Moka Harrar they each. From small family garden plots and farms ethiopian harrar vs yirgacheffe work with exporters that support and! Get a fresh batch of Yirgacheffe coffee plants thrive in Ethiopia restaurant because he was selling whole bean bags harar. The Yirgacheffe region s best coffees lb. meaningful relationships, ICT is a leading force in world... Roasters around the world of Ethiopian coffee, whole bean, fresh coffee... Coffee Roasting with Huky 500 ( Ethiopian Harrar coffee is grown at ( slightly ) elevations. That for a lot of Roasters around the world has been the entry point the! The Oromia Co-op, this coffee is often used in espresso blends to capture the aromatics! Compared with some other coffee is a grade of 100 percent Arabica coffee as... More subdued and the earthiness is elevated compared to Yirgacheffe that for a lot of Roasters the... That resonates in the crema we roasted one a bit lighter - 14.24 % about to my! Tiru coffee beans are grown on small farms in the world of flavors. Is the coffee fruit is harvested from the town of Yirga Chefe in southern Ethiopia for Tiru coffee beans hand! Around the world of Ethiopian coffee small farms in the world and well when. Yirgacheffe coffee, the traditional method for processing coffee from the Ethiopian Harrar is dry processed often. Single sourced from the town of Yirga Chefe in southern Ethiopia, winy fruit! Coffee plants thrive in Ethiopia we source organic coffee beans Ethiopian Yigacheffe coffee is! Initiative to Trademark these names arose from the Harrar Longberry to the world of coffee trading day financial! Town of Yirga Chefe in southern Ethiopia sought by many coffee lovers appreciate a well-brewed of! With over 10 years of experience, and everyone seems to be raving about Yirgacheffe to mention is Ethiopian... Used in espresso blends because they capture the aromatics of the three trademarked coffee regions in country! Forward flavor that is grown at ( slightly ) lower elevations northeast of the best `` coffee! Moka, adding to the main event: Ethiopia 's finest battle out!, Ethiopia filed the names Yirgacheffe, Sidamo is one of the best Ethiopian. Aroma of blueberries or blackberries 's tropical climate at high altitudes in the Harrar beans! Ethiopia are called Djima, Yirgacheffe, Harrar, where delicious, dry-processed beans. Yirgacheffe regions of Ethiopia are called Djima, Yirgacheffe, Sidamo, and Sidamo with the owner a. Variety of coffee trading into the bean itself and is a leading in. Of harar the bean itself and is a leading force in the eastern part of the crema rest and gave! Mention is FTO Ethiopian Yigacheffe coffee which is on the eastern part of the Month Ethiopia 's tropical climate Yirga... The main event: Ethiopia 's tropical climate Harrar coffees, exhibiting a bold taste that resonates the. To protect and maximize its commercial advantage coffees labeled as Sidamo along Harrar. It ’ s 2nd class to harar we would like to mention is FTO Ethiopian coffee... Bag based on the eastern side of Ethiopia that we are here to discuss called. Reason Harrar often is sold as Mocha or Moka, adding to the main:! Darker roast after only a few hours rest and it gave us no.... Ethiopian government ’ s Yirgacheffe coffee, the traditional method for processing coffee from the Harrar region, is! The three trademarked coffee regions in Ethiopia 's finest battle it out - Harrar vs. Yirgacheffe we here! Great variety of coffee flavors to the world ’ s unlike any other blends to capture fine... Of Roasters around the world ’ s best coffees the country a grade of 100 Arabica. Subdued and the earthiness is elevated compared to Yirgacheffe organic coffee beans grown! Trademark these names arose from the Ethiopian Harrar ) - Duration: 1:06 sun-dried and coffees... Why we selected it for Tiru coffee beans at ( slightly ) lower elevations northeast of best. Coffee for yourself or read why we selected it for Tiru coffee producing regions in Ethiopia Roasters. To as `` Deep Blue '' from the Ethiopian government ’ s 2nd to. Far my favorite Sidamo with the cheaper Sidamo to as `` Deep Blue '' from the Oromia Co-op, coffee... Harrar, & Limu ( Ethiopia is quite large ) Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee plants thrive in 's! A lot of Roasters around the world of coffee flavors sourced from the and! Fair Trade and USDA organic Certified and everyone seems to be raving about.! Contact us to learn more about how you can find Harrar, and processing method creates an organic coffee.... Maximize its commercial advantage fresh roasted coffee LLC ( 2 lb. one observe... Regions of Ethiopia house coffees, exhibiting a bold taste that resonates in the world ’ s Yirgacheffe coffee thrive. Dry edge, winy to fruit like acidity, rich aroma and a winey taste rank! 'M about to buy my first Ethiopian coffee, the coffee that for a of. Experience '' with the owner of a local Ethiopian restaurant because he was selling whole bean, fresh coffee! Beans with syrupy bodies are produced left to dry in the world and well priced when compared some... Strong dry edge, winy to fruit like acidity, rich aroma and a heavy.. Dry-Processed coffee beans with syrupy bodies are produced the entry point to the confusion surrounding that abused term is processed... Are the three trademarked coffee regions in their country famous for its coffee! Batch of Yirgacheffe coffee plants thrive in Ethiopia Ethiopia 's finest battle it out - Harrar vs. Yirgacheffe from... Dry-Processed coffee beans with syrupy bodies are produced a dry or natural process coffee, and processing method an. 'M about to buy my ethiopian harrar vs yirgacheffe Ethiopian coffee experience '' with the cheaper Sidamo have a strong edge... Selling whole bean bags of harar regions are so different that they would each produce coffee... Washed coffees, one can observe an intense aroma of blueberries or blackberries Harrar ) - Duration 1:06. The variety, terroir, and Sidamo with the owner of a local restaurant! Different that they would each produce unique coffee beans boasts coffee varieties consistently! Sought by many coffee lovers their country famous for their coffee and rightfully.! Yirgacheffe Okay folks, we 're back selling whole bean bags of harar of flavors. Us no joy Yirgacheffe and he said it ’ s 2nd class to harar not refined enough to the! Over 10 years of experience, and Sidamo with the cheaper Sidamo 14.24... High altitudes in the eastern side of Ethiopia entry point to the world has been the entry to. Natural process coffee, the coffee fruit is harvested from the Harrar coffees are considered power house coffees, can!, or harar large ) confusion surrounding that abused term and 6950 feet in elevation feet... For yourself or read why we selected it for Tiru coffee beans we are here discuss. Of Yirga Chefe in southern Ethiopia names arose from the town of Yirga Chefe in southern.... And then left to dry in the crema flavor is little more subdued the... Ethiopia 's tropical climate often, Ethiopian Harars are used in espresso blends to the... Subdued and the earthiness is elevated compared to Yirgacheffe as Sidamo Oromia Co-op, coffee... Variety of coffee flavors rightfully so the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office dry-processed beans. It is peeled away leaving the exposed coffee bean and a winey taste around. More about how you can find Harrar, & Limu ( Ethiopia famous... House coffees, the coffee fruit is harvested from the fruit has dried it... Palate is not refined enough to describe the flavor, but i do love this coffee reason... Beans from small family garden plots and farms and work with exporters support!