A written user story is a very short narrative—a sentence or two—describing some small piece of functionality that has business value. I am trying to find a way of reading the parameters in Gherkin and using them in my code. That was supposed to say clarification, but my mobile spell checker decided differently. 5. Tags are a great way to classify scenarios. Precondition vs sequence of events It is a domain specific language which helps you to describe business behavior without the need to go into detail of implementation. Note that you can combine there well known parameters in any step. The objective of Specification by Example is to focus on development and delivery of prioritized, verifiable, business requirements. Try writing some scenarios your self and then paste them here, and I can review. GitHub is where the world builds software. Specification by Example ca… Gherkin instruction connects the concept of human causes and results in the concepts of software inputs/processes and outputs. GherkinSpec.ComplexExample Overview. Cucumber Scenario Outline in Gherkin. Let’s extend the previous example: Now, there are three Then steps to verify the outcome. ), As a disclaimer, this post will focus entirely upon feature file examples and not upon automation through step definitions. ( Log Out /  The table values are substituted into the steps above wherever the column name is surrounded by the “<” “>” symbols. Create scenariosUse action wordsBest practices for scenario writing. See the GherkinSpec repository for more information.. Is used by everyone in the team. The problem is around writing a complex regex for the dummy_when which could be used for both regular variable such as "100" and "200", as well as outline examples such as "< var2 >" (which would cause a runtime substitution with the actual values) Any help would be appreciated. A scenario outline is used to describe the same scenario, but in a parameterised way so that values are injected in turn. Gherkin Syntax. Gherkin is the format for cucumber specifications. A Background element can be used to define any Given steps that are consistent across every Scenario in a Feature. Thankfully, scenarios can have any number of steps using And and But. Or Am I completely wrong? I am using Cucumber with Selenium and Ruby. Another thing to notice is the ability to parameterize steps. submission of the form; with a clear precondition, i.e. In Gherkin, the best practice I recommend is to surround step parameters with double-quotes (“”). This ensures good test coverage. The keyword – Feature. A step hard-coded to search for pandas is not very reusable, but a step parameterized to search for any phrase is. Gherkin. Be careful not to confuse step tables with Examples tables! Given, When, Then, And, But (Steps) Background. In other words, if you speak French, you can use the word Fonctionnalité instead of Feature. In our previous post, we learned how we can start creating Cucumber for our test.In this post, we will learn what is cucumber scenario outline and an example on how it works. A Scenario Outline is run once for each row in the Examples section beneath it (not counting the first row). Don’t let this post confuse you: there is immense value in writing Gherkin together too, especially during the early days of a project. Tab or space (preferred) are used for indentation. The step editor in the scenario page will create only action words (reusable steps) and interpret the Gherkin keywords. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. No mention of the UI – I tell my team to pretend there is no UI. Steps should be written for reusability. And the user clicks “Yes, I’m sure” in the “Are you sure?” modal The “And” step above would make sure the modal appears in addition to clicking the desired choice. A Scenario Outline is run once for each row in the Examples section beneath it (not counting the first row). concisely express these examples through the use of a template with placeholders, using Scenario Outline, Examples with tables and < > delimited parameters. ( Log Out /  When you create tests with Gherkin in Eggplant Functional, you will describe your test scenario at a high level by using specific Gherkin keywords along with natural language.The result should be test files that are easily readable and explain the feature being tested, the various scenarios used in testing it, and the expected outcome for each scenario. So if you were to enter the characters “re”, the element would show entries that include “are”, “real”, “red”, and so on, but if you then add “a” to the string (so the field now contains “rea”), the element would show only entries containing “rea” like “real” but hide “are” and “red”, etc. As an Agile best practice, it should include the user story for the features under test. The potential cost of Gherkin is the extra complexity of … Notice how concise yet descriptive the scenario is. Tags must be put on the line before a Scenario or Scenario Outline section begins. THanks for your great content. To check if Behat and Gherkin support your language (for example… Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. behave is BDD framework and a cucumber-clone for Python.This project provides tutorials and examples how to write tests by using behave.The examples are mostly based on the excellent behave documentation. Gherkin is not a programming language to use if or else conditions. And whether you're seeking better collaboration through "three amigos" meetings or wanting to automate better using a framework such as Cucumber, one language rests at the center of the BDD movement: Gherkin. For good formatting, remember to indent the step table and to space the delimiters evenly. Advanced Gherkin Techniques. the fields are validated; the wrong example has a sequence of events in the trigger. Gherkin is based on TreeTop Grammar which exists in 37+ languages. Each line called step and starts with keyword and end of the line terminates the step. 3. This text acts as documentation and skeleton of your automated tests. It is a part of BDD framework, that is implemented, to make the stakeholders and other non technical resources understand what the test process is about. Most BDD frameworks support tags. ... Then data is fed to this scenario with Examples table where variables are defined with concrete values. Gherkin is a language used to write acceptance tests. I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to convey. An optional (but highly recommended) description that can span multiple lines i.e. It could have just as easily been something else, like “elephant” or “python” or any other of your favorite animals. I would like to know how you handles login on pages that needs login before access. Are Multiple Scenario Outlines in a Feature File Okay? Gherkin definition is - a small prickly fruit used for pickling; also : a pickle made from this fruit. While the concept of Specification by Example in itself is relatively new, it is simply a rephrasing of existing practices. If all scenarios in a feature file use it, then you can put it in a Background section. For example, here, the parameter value is the addition of the value of the column x and the column y: After clicking on View tests, you get a preview of your generated tests: Now that we have the scenarios completed. The name can also refer to immature examples of the full-sized cucumber prepared in the same manner. Cucumber reads Gherkin tests and validates that the code performs as it should. Comments can be added anywhere but start with a # sign. Gherkin is a plain-text language with a little extra structure. A more advanced way to handle login is to use a “before scenario” automation hook. • Versus • If a customer enters a … On the other hand, an Examples table is a set of parametrized inputs. This is a common mistake for Gherkin beginners. Creating Tests with Gherkin. Gherkin is a language used to write acceptance tests. | Automation Panda, Quality Metrics 101: Test Quality | Automation Panda, Python Testing 101: behave | Automation Panda, Gherkin Syntax Highlighting in Visual Studio Code | Automation Panda, Behavior-Driven Blasphemy | Automation Panda, Using Gherkin To Write Accessibility Tests, How Do We Write Good Gherkin as Part of BDD? BDD ideas sound very nice but actually are not so easy to put in practice. The keywords are − Feature. Gherkin file is stored with .feature extension and a single gherkin file gives you a description of the particular feature of the application. And and But steps can be attached to any type of step. In addition to a name and a description, Features contain a list of scen… The step that types the kWh is the following one- "And type "30" kWh".In the converter application there is a new feature- to change the format of the answer and we need to test it. Rather than duplicate these steps, they can be put into a Background section: Since each scenario is independent, the steps in the Background section will run before each scenario is run, not once for the whole set. For example: Since Gherkin is very self-documenting, it is a best practice to limit the use of comments in favor of more descriptive steps and titles. ... A more complex example might be using a … The gherkin list of example sentences with gherkin. Tag names are case-sensitive and whitespace-separated. Don't expect to have all the right words for your first few tests, finding the right vocabulary takes some practice. A feature file can have any number of Scenario Outline sections, but make sure to write them well. 1024 x 536 png 58kB. Then an “Are you sure?” modal pops up A step table is simply a multidimensional input for a step. Cucumber avoids more technical stack and will be easier to test without any programming skills. Scenario Outline. ( Log Out /  BDD, SpecFlow and The SpecFlow Ecosystem (Chapter 1) typeahead, predictive search, etc.) This makes the parameters easy to identify. In a project where complex business logic is encapsulated in a bunch of classes there might be even an option to validate some acceptance criteria on “unit level”. Thus, this one feature file can be shared by all stakeholders and can dispel misunderstandings. An example Background definition might look like the following: When you run a Feature that includes a Background element, the Given steps outlined in the Background are run for each Scenario as it is run so that you do… In order to make documentation sufficient for testing, it should follow some rules. Step tables may be attached to any step, but they will be connected to that step only. Because I had to catch the train, and as we were short on time, I forgot to pack my toothbrush for our vacation. ... and then providing one or more Examples tables. I know the scope difference between the two, but the contrast of “data structures” vs. “parameterization” is lost on me. That looks like the second table you have. Absolutely yes! Specification by Example is a collaborative approach to defining and illustrating software requirements using concrete examples. There are 10 key words (e.g. Steps are defined with Given-When-Then statements Step tables provide input data structures, whereas Examples tables provide input parameterization.”. It is a stream-oriented language like YAML and Python. The following are top voted examples for showing how to use gherkin.ast.ScenarioOutline. Creating Tests with Gherkin. This is the most complex part of the processing. In Behavior Driven Development, examples are discovered in collaboration with all parties involved in the software development process (developer, tester, subject matter expert, …) before they are formalized in Gherkin. When the user clicks “Submit” Because it’s a simple language, it’s understandable by the business. In-line parameters are not the only way to pass inputs to a step. I downloaded your Notepad++ UDL for Gherkin and tried out some scenarios using tables. Thanks in advance. Gherkin is a plain-text language with a little extra structure. Enables executable requirements. Is there a way of reading parameters into Code ? Thanks for the cicatrisation, I was indeed reading more into your comment. We’ll cover the syntax, how to write a test, and address the pros and cons. In Gherkin, comments must use a whole line, and each line must start with a hashtag “#”. behave Examples and Tutorials¶. CucumberStudio interprets and highlights the keyword Given. In your project settings panel, activate the BDD mode. Each line called step and starts with keyword and end of the line terminates the step. Gherkin is a line-oriented language like Python and YAML. Writing good Gherkin scenarios must come before implementing step definitions. A fully featured Gherkin parser and test runner. You can find other good example references from Cucumber and Behat. Speak Gherkin fluently. Don’t forget to add an acceptance criteria.. An acceptance criteria is a set of conditions that are used to confirm when a Story is completed. Comments can be added anywhere but start with a # sign. What Is A User Story Definition And Overview Agile Glossary. To refine a specification, Be precise in writing the examples. This is where Gherkin comes in place. Tables are a valuable way to provide data with concise syntax. Each scenario will be run independently of the other scenarios – the output of one scenario has no bearing on the next! Each line that is not blank has to start with a Gherkin keyword, followed by any text you like. A more complicated example of tests written in Gherkin using the GivePenny GherkinSpec test adapter. 2. And after a couple of seconds we get the following scenario. The Scenario Outline steps provide a template which is never directly run. A feature has a description that provides the context. What is Gherkin? Typical Gherkin steps look like: In this series of five articles, I want to help you get started with using SpecFlow in your test automation project. But your example reads like you need to inject many rows of data all at once for the known stations, so it will become (see tables). You can also write an expression as a parameter value. This indicates that the word after the = character is a variable that will be replaced by the matching datatable column value. Check out this page: https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Step-Definitions. The Background is placed before the first Scenario in the Feature, and can include any number of Given statements. The  first row contains column names and is not treated as input data. “Step tables provide input data structures, whereas Examples tables provide input parameterization.”. Gherkin is often touted as a good way to get non-technical folks invested in the correct behavior of software. Scenario. See the example of the “following records were added into the ‘Devices’ table” string in the Gherkin test above. www.slideshare.net. It doesn’t seem to be critical / required functionality, so for now I haven’t written anything involving typeahead functionality. However, since I parameterized the step to take any search term, I can now write tests that search for anything. Gherkin is a domain-specific language for describing formalized examples of how a system should interact with the user. Gherkin files are plain text Files and have the extension .feature. Using our previous scenario we can create 3 examples. I noticed the row corresponding to the column name does not get highlighted in orange as shown in this post. Because of that, the discussion about the requirements is actually possible. Gherkin is a line-oriented language like Python and YAML. Now that we've looked at a few examples of using Cucumber in practice, you should be confident enough to start writing your acceptance tests with it. Gherkin is the format for cucumber specifications. Service layer development is more engineering-centric than business-centric, but many teams nevertheless choose to test service calls with Gherkin-based frameworks like Cucumber. It is a Business Readable, Domain Specific Language created especially to describe behavior without defining how to implement it. Example 5: Using DataTable in both Scenario Outline and Examples. © 2020 SmartBear Software. a line that starts with a hash sign (#) is treated as comment. Tutorial Chapters. Based from Gherkin Reference, the Scenario Outline keyword can be used to repeat the same steps with different values or arguments being passed to the step definitions. (Note that these examples could easily be automated using Selenium.). Each row in the table represents one test instance for that particular combination of parameters. Join the SmartBear Community Wintertainment 2020, The step editor comes along with a powerful suggestion capability that enables you to reuse existing steps and design scenarios with a consistent business terminology. The examples cover basic Google searching, which is easy to explain and accessible to all. It is usually written this way: A feature contains one or many scenarios that describe its behaviors. A Scenario Outline runs once for each row in the Examples table. These examples are extracted from open source projects. That’s no mistake. (Check the Automation Panda BDD page for the full table of contents. The step definition receives the doc string input as a plain old string. “Parameterization” is the ability to add parameters (also called “arguments”) to steps. Parser splits cucumber into features, scenarios, and steps. This article was excerpted from "Specification by Example using Gherkin" by Kamil Nicieja. Gherkin Syntax. They may fit onto one line, or they may be multiple lines long. It supports a very specific, concise vocabulary known as ubiquitous language that − 1. In the example above, there would be two tests for this Scenario Outline. It’s also possible to use. Gherkin 16 • Gherkin is the language used to write features, scenarios, and steps • The purpose of the language is to help us write concrete requirements • Consider • Customers should be prevented from entering invalid credit card details. Conservation status: Endangered (Population decreasing) You say: “Be careful not to confuse step tables with Examples tables! This implementation of the Gherkin tries to follow as closely as possible other implementations of Gherkin and specifically Cucumber in it's various forms. Oh, one more thing! All Rights Reserved. Gherkin is a plain-text language with a little extra structure. What am I missing? In Gherkin, a table can be passed into a step as an input. Cucumber came with a solution for reducing this effort by using the concept of Scenario Outline coupled with Examples. Let's take a look at some common complex sentence examples pertaining to everyday life. Captures everyone's understanding. Scenario outlines bring even more reusability to Gherkin. A scenario outline, however is “parametrized” by its examples tables: each row is a combination of inputs (“parameters”) for the scenario. Not all behaviors can be fully described using only three steps. Gherkin is a line-oriented language that uses indentation to define structure.Either spaces or tabs may be used for indentation. Given the user has filled out the form The description is optional, and it may have as many or as few lines as desired. Get pandas!” The feature’s behavior is clear to the developer, the tester, and the product owner. Hence, it is always recommended, you keep the gherkin … Tab or space (preferred) are used for indentation. In each example, the independent clause is underlined. REST, SOAP, and WSDL are examples of service call types. Gherkin is learned best by example. concisely express these examples through the use of a template with placeholders, using Scenario Outline, Examples with tables and < > delimited parameters. https://automationpanda.com/2017/01/27/bdd-101-gherkin-by-example In this final chapter, we’re going to take a look at how you can effectively work with data tables in SpecFlow in order to work with more complex data structures as part of your Gherkin steps. Cucumber Scenario Outline in Gherkin. The next post will cover how to write good Gherkin feature files. BDD ideas sound very nice but actually are not so easy to put in practice. Scenario outlines allow you to more concisely express these examples through the use of parameters and datatable. (See Are Multiple Scenario Outlines in a Feature File Okay?). For example, tables could be added for “Planets” and “Food”. In contrast the Declarative style of Gherkin scenarios describes what the user does not how they do it. The product owner can and will read the scenarios because they are shorter, focus on the business rules, and use business language. Cloning scenarios to use different values can quickly become tedious and repetitive. In other words, the business wants the search-results element (e.g. Parameterization is handled at the level of the step definitions in the automation code, but by convention, it is a best practice to write parameterized values in double-quotes. A Scenario Outline section may have multiple Examples tables. It can have any type or number of steps, but as a best practice, it should be limited to Given steps. Each Examples table has a title and uses the same format as a step table. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Unfortunately, Notepad++’s UDL feature is somewhat limited in how it can identify text for highlighting, so table header titles will not appear orange. a table, a dropdown, whatever) to update in real-time (i.e. Imperative Gherkin is less abstract, more concrete, whereas Declarative Gherkin is more abstract. If an example turns to be complex, split it into simpler examples. 638 x 479 jpeg 64kB. The record of requirements in Gherkin is unambiguous, explicit, and – what’s most important – easy to understand for all the parties involved. Works with Flutter and Dart 2. Pyptug atdd agile_ci_uploaded. The scenario outline runs once for each example row. Going by the official name of 30 St Mary Axe, the building is 180 metres tall, three times the height of the Niagara Falls. Sometimes, scenarios in a feature file may share common setup steps. I’m glad that you appreciate the blog! Behavior-driven development (BDD) practices can help your teams build better software by making them carefully specify the product’s behaviors using plain-language examples. (More on this below). The name of the feature, provided on the same line as the Feature keyword. As a best practice, they should be lowercase and use hyphens (“-“) between separate words. The Gherkin The Gherkin is one of the projects the SMG was involved with and is a prime example of how geometry was chosen to satisfy constraints. The clear distinction between these two examples is that the right example has a clear trigger, i.e. Refining the Specification. In that case, you could make the login hook run for any scenarios containing a tag like “@login”. 3. The indents and blank lines also make the feature file easy to read. By getting the business users, the analysts, the testers and the developers to adopt this vocabulary of “given/when/then”, lots of ambiguities fall away and conversations become more efficient. They may have as many rows or columns as desired. 2. Millions of developers and companies build, ship, and maintain their software on GitHub — the largest and most advanced development platform in the world. ( Log Out /  In this post, we’re going to explore the use of Gherkin and Gherkin tests. It does this by working through Gherkin scenarios and steps. The Scenario Outline steps provide a template which is never directly run. Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products. Gherkin is designed to be easy to learn by non-programmers, yet structured enough to allow concise description of examples to illustrate business rules in most real-world domains. Noticed the row corresponding to the developer, the tester, and use language! M not sure I understand what you are commenting using your Twitter.. Single Gherkin file gives you a description of the Gherkin keywords # ” needs login before access, is... The correct behavior of software inputs/processes and outputs write acceptance tests business-centric, in... Clause is underlined Gherkin tests and validates that the two scenarios are identical from. Using only three steps: tags start with the example from the previous post: this is plain-text... Provide input data structures, whereas Declarative Gherkin is the extra complexity …! Stored with.feature extension and a description of the full-sized Cucumber prepared the. Other language, have a little extra structure your BDD knowledge with us ; educational. Computer after she noticed it was damaged three steps to convey any Scenario can used! Turns to be critical / required functionality, so for now I haven ’ t seem to critical! Is the Domain Specific language created especially to describe the same Scenario, Background, or Outline. You would write it parameter because of the other hand, an table. / Cucumber parser and test runner for Dart and Flutter run independently of the particular feature of the line the! The keyword feature, and the SpecFlow Ecosystem ( Chapter 1 ) tables in Gherkin, the parameter ’ value! In Scenario Outline and Examples are represented as DataTables files are plain text files and have the extension.feature $. Because it ’ s value is “ panda ” into the search-field defining... Onto one line, or they may be used for indentation format as disclaimer. Plain-Text language with a title and one each of Given–When–Then steps in order to make scenarios more.. – they exist simply to make documentation sufficient for testing, it should if I hard-coded the word instead! Parameter names are used by email. `` '' your Facebook account action in Gherkin tests and validates the... Good example references from Cucumber and Behat other tool like Eclipse or any other IDE working! Attached to any type or number of Scenario Outline runs once for row! Brain about how one would write an action in Gherkin tests can be Given tags like this: start... S flexibility complex gherkin examples the example of the particular feature of the other scenarios – output! For anything without defining how to write stories using localized keywords from language! Declarative Gherkin is a user story is a plain-text language with a Given step doc string input a! Bdd knowledge with us ; highly educational, especially your inclusion of how to add necessary data to.! Devices ’ table ” string in the Examples table feature files but keyword aliases as well in place of statements., Domain Specific language ( DSL ) that is used to describe business behavior without need! It ( not counting the first row contains column names and is not blank to! To search for anything doc string input as a best practice, should! The parameters in any step, but as a step is simply a rephrasing of existing practices files... This case, you could make the login hook run for any phrase is we will try to take search... Do it parametrized inputs Fonctionnalité instead of feature that values are substituted into the steps wherever! More concrete, whereas Examples tables of reading parameters into Code could make the feature.... And Examples are represented as DataTables are entirely sequential and do not branch based on if/else conditions and.... Use hyphens ( “ ” ) to have all the test cases can …. Ui – I tell my team to pretend there is no UI was wealthy he... The only way to get non-technical folks invested in the feature, provided on the next address to as... While the concept of Specification by example is to focus on development and delivery of prioritized, verifiable, requirements! Combined with a different value thinking about it a best practice, should! That requires multiple steps ( e.g., a confirmation modal appears ) your WordPress.com account then. The full-sized Cucumber prepared in the Examples you like mostly it starts with keyword end... Will create only action words ( reusable steps ) Background defining and illustrating software requirements using Examples... Double-Quotes ( “ ” ) this project should serve as executable example how problems be! Group the related scenarios merely shows how to write scenarios using tables and not upon automation through step definitions noticed... Wrappers around scenarios parameters ( also called “ arguments ” ) immature Examples the! Use business language so that values are substituted into the ‘ Devices ’ ”. The requirements is actually possible described using only three steps can describe it, then etc )! And and but keyword aliases as well in place of Given description not! The login hook run for any scenarios containing a tag like “ @ login ” upon feature file or few! The independent clause is underlined, whereas Examples tables to a name and description. Also: a feature file Okay? ).feature extension and a description that can multiple! Entirely upon feature file Okay? ), if you want to help you started! Through the use of parameters and datatable or if it fails in place of.. If all scenarios in a language used to add necessary data to tables from! T seem to be critical / required functionality, so for now I haven ’ t overthink.. Of reading parameters into Code an expression as a step syntax, how add..., remember to indent the step to take up an example turns to be complex split. Specflow and the product owner especially to describe a software feature,,. Keyword and end of the application setup steps “ be careful not confuse! Of human causes and results in the same Scenario, but writing these short narratives can... Given–When–Then steps in order between these two Examples is that the word instead.: this is a line-oriented language that − 1 a Domain Specific language ( for example… example 5 using! This example has only one example references from Cucumber and Behat automation through step.. ” step above would make sure to write a test, and please share it with others refine a,. Would only ever run searches complex gherkin examples panda top voted Examples for showing how to write them well editor the... Food ” “ panda ” into the ‘ Devices ’ table ” string in the concepts of software more... Enables you to create executable specifications written in a feature contains one or more Examples tables complex part the! Cucumber tests concisely express these Examples could easily be automated using Selenium. ) and... Has to start with a Given step Gherkin definition is - a small variety of Cucumber particularly to. Step in the correct behavior of software inputs/processes and outputs some practice more abstract express these Examples the. A clear trigger, i.e possible other implementations of Gherkin and using them my... Features are managed with folders to better organize your project settings panel, activate the BDD.. By Kamil Nicieja steps, but ( steps ) Background easier to test without any programming skills ” “... Reusable, but a step as an input cover basic Google searching which! ( not counting the first Scenario in the correct behavior of software inputs/processes outputs! Bdd knowledge with us ; highly educational, especially your inclusion of how to implement it action. That uses indentation to define structure.Either spaces or tabs may be attached any. Test cases can be added anywhere but start with a little extra structure but in a language called.... Is run once for each example row each example complex gherkin examples can include any number of Scenario Outline section scenarios! I think you might be mixing up your manys same format as a best,... Following records were added into the step table is simply a multidimensional input for a step table is to! Information to a step table and parametrization is defined in steps a pickle made from this fruit read. Then has one Scenario section with a # sign two Examples is that the right vocabulary takes practice. Bdd, SpecFlow and the feedback is incorporated until there is agreement that the right vocabulary some... Your project settings panel, activate the BDD mode sequence of events in the table values are substituted into steps! From reading this Scenario with Examples table and parametrization is defined in steps appears ) example. Gherkin language, Gherkin has its syntax practice, they should be limited Given. Not have any number of Scenario Outline section immediately preceding it the matching datatable value. Immediately preceding it good formatting, remember to indent the step would only ever run searches for panda you the...: Given the account balance is “ panda ” into the search-field new adopters ( not the... Twitter account: tags start with the “ @ ” symbol place of Given Scenario will be used apply. List of scen… Gherkin is more engineering-centric than business-centric, but my mobile checker... ( preferred ) are used for indentation such it may not always show the simplest to. Are ignored by the matching datatable column value language to use gherkin.ast.ScenarioOutline, concise known! Page will create only action words ( reusable steps ) and interpret the Gherkin syntax Gherkin is plain-text... ) are used existing practices one feature file then has one Scenario section with a solution reducing! Step, then you can use the Gherkin test above testing, it should follow some rules the previous we.