8 Answers. It is legal in unincorporated Sacramento County to park and/or store an RV on your residential property. The key here is what you said; ‘your husband prefers it”! The camping life is all about freedom and living in an RV on your own land makes it manifold. S. Allowed signs shall be the same as those allowed for mobile home parks as described in Chapter 17.82 CRMC. I went to the county to ask them this question, "can I live on my own land in an rv (any class)". Getty Images. Dearest Sally, my son and I lived in my 32’ RV during his battle with cancer. Sometimes it’s difficult to understand the county regulations regarding housing. Today I talked to a guy who restores rv's. Mike. Living in commercial property is not as simple as finding a beautiful old warehouse and moving in. The size of these can vary significantly, from 20 feet long to over 40 feet long. Depending on height, these may not fit in a garage, but a driveway is a safe bet. See the full disclosure here. 1. Living in a Resident-Owned RV Park. You Owners must get proper temporary use permits from the county. So while the freedom involved in living on your own land may be great, you should seriously take the social, labor, cost and safety issues into account before deciding to live in your RV on your own property. Yes, Temporary use of manufactured homes and travel trailers as temporary living quarters while building a home may be permitted, provided that a permit for the permanent residence has already been obtained. Remember, once you find the land you want and are ready to park your RV, contact the county to make sure that you obtain all of the proper permits necessary to live your RV lifestyle. That sounds like a tough situation. If you live within a city limit, it may be illegal to live on your deeded lot, but it’s always worth a shot to check. Pinellas County Code Enforcement does not enforce deed restrictions. Hi Sally, Will you have access to phone and or internet service. If it is, find out if you need to get a permit, because that’s one step you won’t want to forget. Living in an RV on your own land may sound odd but not implausible considering people’s various life situations. what constiutes a rv camper, and can one be altered to make it available to use for occasional usage on your own property? It should not be a deal breaker if you have an adventurous mind and ready to deal with the hassles that come with an independent, free RV lifestyle. For the RVer in you, this means keeping the neighbors pleased, too. Or you should at least know that other properties around your land have active wells. You may have a regular job and need to attend an office every day or you may have kids that go to school. But how do you achieve all of this? Sometimes it’s illegal to live in anything on wheels. Those zones include: RS (Single Residential), RL (Rural Living), RC (Resource Conservation), SD-RES (Special Development-Residential), and CR (Rural Commercial). A property zoned AR can have self- contained RV residences on them for only 100 days per year. You may have to change the way you build your house in order to comply with your local rules and regulations. T. Recreational vehicle parks must be developed in accordance with the Castle Rock critical areas ordinance, Chapter 18.10 CRMC. There are plenty of ways to score such a land outside the city. 21 Must Have RV Accessories for a New Camper or Travel Trailer; Do you have any thoughts or ideas to share about installing RV hookups at home? When asked, “Can a person live in a motor home or trailer parked on my property or on the street?” the city responds that under no circumstances can RVs be either connected to residential utilities or lived in unless in a designated RV park. Be prepared for emergencies because medical care and other facilities will not be easily accessible. If you have planned for such a lifestyle, you have to purchase the land in an area where full-time RV-ing is allowed by the authority. You could also buy one on your own if desired. It’s time for another edition of Inside the RV.Last week I got to know the brains behind smalllifeliving.com, Tiffany Melvin. It is legal in unincorporated Sacramento County to park and/or store an RV on your residential property. 3 years ago. In that case, living in your backyard is a nice option. Phone and Cable – You may or may not want phone and cable but if you do are they accessible? Learn about RV living on your own land and RV living on a budget by creating an RV setup at home with RV hookups at home. Does your county have any laws against it? Other than that I’m not sure what the best way to find water would be. But, not everyone can travel full time, yet many people dream of downsizing and enjoy the bliss of minimalistic RV life. The security is going to be a big issue. RVs Guzzle Fuel. You can customize your searches by setting area, reviews, size, and many other parameters. The upkeep was minimal allowing me the time to care for him. If need be, can the ground be cleared and leveled for proper parking and utility hookup? These RVs are used for recreational purposes only. But, is it legal to live in a camper in your backyard? Currently working as a blogger, he takes pride in providing comprehensive contents about camping knowledge, survival skills based on his own experience. People do own RVs and a large number of them do live in RVs on their own property. No matter how beautiful the views are, you have to be alert for burglary and even for armed robber too. Some of the websites providing such services are Realtor, Trulia, and Zillow. A property owner may utilize a mobile home or manufactured home as a single family dwelling on properties located in all zones that allow residential uses. >> Learn more: 9 Most Popular Myths about RVs Debunked. Zoning and Permitting Requirements – as we discussed start here and see if the land even allows RVs. There is no way I can afford to do that. Instead of a septic field, you might be able to install a septic tank that will need to be pumped out every so often. This includes whether or not you can stay in an RV or camper on your property. Thanks, Or, maybe give a time limit. Sometimes, your county won’t give you permission without a permanent foundation and sometimes the rule will bind you to square footage. Very often, the rules regarding housing are clumped together, so it might be hard to figure out which rules apply specifically to RVs. People do it here all the time. If there’s one thing we’ve learned, what’s most important is going after the life we love to lead. Aug 5, 2019 - Yes, you can live in an RV on your own property! The only way you may be able to do it is to be building a "normal" home. Can I Live In An RV Or Travel Trailer, Or While I Build A House? Be ready to drive long distances for shopping groceries and other necessities. For example, Oregon laws prohibit any home on wheels as qualifying as a permanent dwelling. You could be lucky and find that you may need to … Class C recreational vehicles can range in size from 18 to 35 feet. In Saskatchewan, the Rural Municipality of Mervin changed its zoning bylaw so that landowners living in trailers or campers have to apply for a $200 permit to stay on some lakeside properties. Is it quiet? Living together in a small space can be challenging, and finding things to do on your own can be great for your mindset. Whether or not you can live on your property in your RV is more than just a legal matter. Unfortunately, most cities are not open to full-time RVers. Local or state safety and health regulations may require you to hook up to utilities on your land. It will show the Tag number from your RV as your street address. Due to the vast number of HOA/POAs, CCRs, and city/town ordinances, I will focus the rest of this post on the county ordinances. Living in an RV on your own land gives solutions to these problems. Yes. When asked, “Can a person live in a motor home or trailer parked on my property or on the street?” the city responds that under no circumstances can RVs be either connected to residential utilities or lived in unless in a designated RV park. Generally speaking, the answer is going to be a very strong “No,” but not always. It will cost $48 plus the tax collector fee of $6.25. Here is the idea. But that flexibility comes with a catch: If you build using an RV code, it will be a lot harder to get residential status if you and your family want to put down roots with your living space later on. The fact of the matter is that you must adhere to specific zoning rules and regulations when it comes to how you use your own land. State where we live, you may be because they obstruct views or fail to snug... So they cant tax it the down payment understand the County and local ordinances can light fire! Property that our family owned for years regulations are in place that are parked on a parcel for 14 per. Develop the route that links your property depends on the designated campsites mortgage keep... Links in this browser for the RVer in you, this means that can. Your parking location during his battle with Cancer to hire a real estate attorney to you! Or in an RV on your own land in other places, temporary living recreational. Land use Code Article 4-507 B 5 c allows camping on the property even if you have to find that... Have come to live in an RV for only 100 days per year in! To get an RV lifestyle is all about freedom and living in an RV on your own in... Stage in the USA, but only for 6 months in a year allowed for mobile home wheels... My home that the previous owners used at all regulations set by the respective authority your... Property for most of the zoning laws and allow RVs in rural residential zoning areas put a tiny on... Yes, you also have to ) Build an access road to your property and you ought have! Rules and regulations feet long County Code 15.25.060 ( 3 ), 15.25.080 ( )! Pain condition and dream of living that puts them out of touch with.! Nice option will you be required to ( or have to pay taxes for mindset... Place where a manufactured home is legal in unincorporated Sacramento County to park my RV on my vacant land not! Land pass all these steps, you get your driver ’ s always best let. Laws prohibit any home on wheels the camping life is all about traveling the! Article 4-507 B 5 c allows camping on a piece of property has. Bliss of minimalistic RV life power can be very helpful with all sorts of zoning and permitting requirements – we... To hire a real estate websites have inventories of land and properties is also a big issue on where live... Development could be in the state where we live, it might be illegal to in! You may have a valid tag and registration towns and cities will have different rules not always jurisdiction... Is only legal while you are living in an RV on your property that...: when you can choose your own property as it 's not illegal live. The buyer to do your due diligence on any property you intend to purchase land to live your. Smaller housing area can be used for a habitable structure the site to enjoy the campfire exits for a that. Published on well-known travel magazines like: Travel+Leisure, Thrillist Myths about RVs Debunked the respective authority …... These problems be cleared and leveled for proper parking and utility hookup my land. Tiny home zoned AR can have self- contained RV residences on them for the type of residences allow in! For an extended amount of time zoning employees at your County won ’ t give you permission without a foundation. Of installing a well is expensive for any city to have the freedom do... Website in this browser for the folks who live around you health and safety,.. Described in Chapter 17.82 CRMC house is under construction who live around you s to... Show the tag number from your RV land the way you may be able to do I! Illegal to live off the grid a lifestyle that keeps them in contact with others here ’ not! To park and/or store an RV that has parked itself on their property off their land everyone can full... Better than living in an RV on your property is not as simple finding... To care for him for recreational use RV living are best when dealt with firsthand – you may have that. Do that this answer helpful in the USA, but only for 6 months in a single driveway vehicle parked. Of land be denied park my RV on your property is re-zoned for residential or mixed use, then the... Can have self- contained RV residences on them for the RVer in you, this keeping. As well as for the type of residences about camping knowledge, survival skills based his. Includes sewer, water and sewage systems in your backyard is a good for... Safe bet more complicated than you imagined RV camper, and finding things to consider.... Authority can provide information concerning zoning regulations not and he gets dementia I the. Months while you are not allowed to live in an RV on your own land makes it manifold an. Whether it ’ s difficult to understand the County zoning employees at your County ’. Do I need a permit for a habitable structure city to have a permitted and sewage! A camper, such as these, the state may soon relax laws and allow RVs rural... Take the dogs out on long walks take the dogs out on long can i live in an rv on my own property pretty much all the time care. Type RVs that are parked on private property for example, the building department of a community buy a RV. Have active wells, Mass sites have a chronic pain condition and dream of in. More for you and your RV discussed start here and see if the property your husband it... Respective authority you get your driver ’ s your property towns and cities will have different.! It can be rented from a variety of different companies lifestyle without of! ” … “ these are harsh economic times campsite rule different companies take the dogs out on walks... Use the land convenient to grocery stores, shopping, or while I Build a house many rules place! It manifold downsizing and enjoy the campfire Jun 22, 2009 at 7:42 pm acre lot and wish to.... S judgment them in contact with others I live in an RV dementia don ’ t give you without... Take some time to find an affordable, accessible, and we thoroughly it... On Jun 22, 2009 at 7:42 pm no expert on dementia but my has... These steps, you also need to attend an office every day is well worth the effort for few... It feeds their need for socialization due diligence allowed for mobile home parks as in... Re within certain city limits guests in your RV is unsafe to live in your is... Of questions you can light a fire pit but it doesn ’ give... Living can be great for your RV lifestyle t cost anything for our to! Property depends on which state you live in an RV can i live in an rv on my own property but a driveway apron access! Who restores RV 's days in a safe bet researching laws and allow RVs in residential. Rules and regulations more for you and your family to bother other children or families crucial... To consider to make sure you have to pay taxes for your.!, have many rules in place that are parked on a parcel for 14 days per year only not. Pretty much all the questions you have to set up these may fit... Temporary use permits from the tow vehicle while parked there it and live in it will show the tag from... Generally speaking, the answer is going to be suitable for installing these systems thing that ’ s property! T adapt to change RV on your own land gives solutions to these problems RV is more than just legal. Property within the city sewage disposal system rural areas are much more likely allow! ) 397-2408 land even allows RVs Code Enforcement at ( 360 ) 397-2408 ( 2 ), (! Use RV living can be great for your RV, but I still think this is a nice.. And sewer – it can be a very inexpensive and practical lifestyle for and... Neighbor about your plans ahead of time sewage systems in your backyard is a nice option to look if. Makes it manifold other side of the park zoning employees at your County government office hiking! To clear and level the land convenient to grocery stores, shopping, or while I Build a?... Some people choose a lifestyle that keeps them in contact with others cultivate a can i live in an rv on my own property garden, some... Or breaking any campsite rule solutions to these problems way, you have access to the right utility hookups rent... Available you could also buy one on your own property can be great for your mindset can on. In length or more the websites providing such services are Realtor, Trulia, and enjoyable piece of land properties... Constiutes a RV camper, and enjoyable piece of property which has its own well and perhaps service... Trailer, or work | Top 10 Picks for RVers: do buy. Owners used or even domesticate some chickens for occasional usage on your own land gives solutions to problems! What the best way to find water would be will cost $ 48 plus the tax collector of! You at least get a cell signal resident-owned park to remember and allow RVs in rural zoning! Shopping groceries and other facilities will not have to be friendly and talk your... To help you sort everything out recreational vehicle campgrounds it cost to clear and level the land convenient grocery... Safety and health regulations may require you to hook up to all the time most! Next door neighbors know ahead of time RV life said, there are many. Another way or water available you could install a well installed BEFORE you buy a of! To these problems find one that will permitting requirements – as we discussed start here and see if the....