Air Force base out here is growing and more families are coming out here. You can find out more about him on LinkedIn or his website. It's a fantastic place to raise a family. Town in South Dakota 29 reviews #1 Best Suburbs to Raise a Family in Sioux Falls Area Current Resident: Brandon has always been a thriving town, especially over the last few years. We used science and data to determine which cities in South Dakota have the best set up for children: a lot to do, good schools, and no crime. Family-friendly trails: they aren’t too strenuous, they aren’t so long that one hears a chorus of “are we there yet” every few minutes. KOA campgrounds for the ones that like all the amenities and more rustic campsites for the tent campers. For more South Dakota reading, check out: 10 Best Places To Live In South Dakota; These Are The 10 Best Counties To Live In South Dakota; 10 Cheapest Places To Live In South Dakota; 10 Best Places To Raise A Family In South Dakota; These Are The 10 Best Places To Retire In South Dakota; These Are The 10 Richest Cities In South Dakota I have no social life but still feel content here. As South Dakota’s largest city and the 47th fastest-growing city in the US, Sioux Falls is certainly an appealing place to live. For the most part though I really enjoy living in Box Elder, everyone is caring and makes you feel welcomed as I said. 10 Best Cities For Families In South Dakota, Download The Entire South Dakota Ranking Data, Distance to a major city without necessarily being in it, Family-friendly amenities nearby (museums, libraries and colleges). And for those looking for more options, Sioux Falls is a short car ride away! The city has over 10 parks, and is a short drive to more outdoor recreation in the Black Hills. We think that's all the more reason to have your family live in one of Montana's family friendly places: there's plenty of mountain ranges and prairies for your kids to run, and there's plenty of opportunity to make a difference. If that was cleaned up, Belle Fourche has a lot to offer. Black Hawk is a quiet rural area of around 7000 people. 3. Some things I would like to see change is the crime rate. We aim to deliver bite-sized pieces of infotainment about where you live. It is a lakeside town, so there is more to do. I have lived here for 8 1/2 years now and I do not see myself living anywhere else. Best Places To Raise A Family In South Dakota. With a thriving downtown, a diverse economy, and just a 5.5% unemployment rate, it’s no wonder that Sioux Falls made RelocateAmerica’s list of the top 100 best places to live in America. Whatever season it is you can always find good hiking trails. From 2002 to 2013 according to City-Data, there were 0 reported murders in the city of Brookings. Small Businesses thrive here on a decent-sized population. Mike Anderson. The population was 6,474 at the 2010 census. a minimum security jail for petty crimes is nearby. the weather is nice almost all the time. It is a short commute to Rapid City so nothing is too far away. there is a combination of old and young people. all sorts of personality. 1,111) Britton (Pop. In times of need, our community pulls together to help those in need. Another thing I love about this town is they have lots to do with the public schools and helping the youth become successful in their futures. These family resorts in South Dakota generally allow pets: Spearfish Canyon Lodge - Traveler rating: 4.0/5. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 3,711. It is family-friendly and there are schools all over the city so depending on where you live, there should be a school district you are close to. holidays sparkle with life, residents love to decorate and celebrate the holidays with neighbors. Enough with the rankings, what makes Brookings so special? Brandon is the home of the Brandon Valley School District, rated number one in South Dakota. According to the 2010 Census, the population was 10,571. They have some nice parks where me and my kids can go play.Read 30 Reviews, Current Resident: I just moved to Sturgis, SD, it is a very small town compared to what I'm used to. 10 Best States to Raise a Family Nine of the top 10 states to raise a family are in the Midwest and Northeast, according to a new report. A must see near Rapid City is Mt. Based on 2012 and 2016 presidential election results compared to the national average. Here I have had many opportunities to get involved in the community, and meet new people. Some things I would like to see change is the crime rate. According to Town Rank, Marty has the highest rate of liberally minded people in the Mount Rushmore State. I am so thankful I have had a great community like Watertown to grow up in! Madison is a small town with a close community feel. Lifestyles are low key and made up of hard working individuals who strive to make our town clean and safe. June, September and August are the most pleasant months in Dakota Dunes, while January and December are the least comfortable months. the town is expanding at a steady pace. Watertown is a great community that have enjoyed growing up in. ... 41 South Dakota cities and areas designated as places by … We also limited our results to cities with populations over 2,000 people. The southwestern part of the state, from the southern Black Hills, around Custer and Angostura along the east side of the Hills thru Rapid City. Open community. Nobody judges. The city is becoming bigger and more diverse. I just moved to Sturgis, SD, it is a very small town compared to what I'm used to. 1,203) Garretson (Pop. Also, Spearfish being a college town makes for a lot of events and an involved community.Read 41 Reviews, Current Resident: It is very quite and family friendly. If you’re considering packing the trunk and heading west, don’t move a muscle until you’ve read our round-up of the top 20 best places to live in South Dakota in 2019. The crime rate is very low, as well as the homeless rate. Great if you have young children. #4: South Dakota. I never saw this city as a city full of crime but within the last year, I feel way more has been happening. The high school is the heart of the town, as you can find most of Brandon's residents at the football field on Friday nights. The family-friendly community of Somerset has a list of benefits a mile long, including an average median income of $80,139, a great range of job opportunities, shops, restaurants, and bars galore, and thanks to its … I am so thankful I have had a great community like Watertown to grow up in!Read 54 Reviews, Current Resident: Aberdeen is a very relaxing place to be, whether that be spending a weekend camping or living in town. The school system for elementary and middle school is absolutely wonderful, and I cannot say enough great things about them!Read 11 Reviews. One thing I think Watertown could do to help make it better in bring more businesses in such as new restaurants, retail stores, or recreational activity centers. The second most important factor for a family is the safety of a city. Here's a look at the best cities for singles South Dakota according to the data: For more south dakota reading, check out: Chris Kolmar has been in the real estate business for almost ten years now. Population: 3,515Family Friendly Amenities Score: 45Closest Major City: DenverHouseholds with kids: 17.8%More on Hot Springs: Photos | Homes For Sale | Data. June, September and August are the most pleasant months in Dakota, while January and December are the least comfortable months. Otherwise, Pierre is great! the roads are well maintained, houses are kept up. residents are usually calm and don't riot. Brandon made a strong showing to take in the overall number one spot for the best place to live in South Dakota for 2020. Editor’s Note: We updated this article for 2020. the town is expanding at a steady pace. One of my favorite things to do in Watertown in the summer is to spend time at the lakes. I come from Minneapolis, Minnesota so the size difference was a bit difficult to adjust to at first, but now I am so glad to live here. Ranking based on data from the U.S. Census, FBI, BLS, CDC, and other data sources. These variables all work in favor of lower housing prices over time. Box Elder is growing into something bigger and better for the people. One thing that makes this town special is the people in it. The people are friendly, helpful and brought up with small town values. its a very calm easygoing place where anyone and everyone is usually helpful. I have lived here since I was a year and a half. These categories include: amenities, cost of living, crime rates, education, employment, housing and weather. Vermillion is a city in and the county seat of Clay County, in the southeastern corner of the state of South Dakota, and the eleventh largest city in the state. Most people commute to Sioux Falls for work. There is no place like Aberdeen! In the summer there are many campgrounds for any type of camping enthusiast. There is always some type of event going on, which we love. Fishing, camping, walking alongside the lake, and boat tours. Spearfish, South Dakota. This town is very community orientated and is always willing to help out someone in need. Please. the Wi-Fi is usually good. In addition, neighboring Oglala Lakota County contracts the duties of Auditor, Treasurer and Register of Deeds to the Fall River County authority in Hot Springs. The small businesses in Harrisburg are awesome too!Read 8 Reviews, Niche User: I recently moved to Brookings when I enrolled as a student at South Dakota State University and I love the town! Safety is a number one priority in the town as well, as its police are friendly but can keep order. There is always some type of event going on, which we love. We're pretty sure Sisseton's wide open spaces, safe neighborhoods, great schools, and endless, healthy activities are sure to please any family. And if you don't see it there, head to the bottom. The university brings people in from all over the world. In South Dakota the safest city is Brookings, a mid-range city with approximately 22,000 residents. The Best Places to Live in South Dakota < prev; next > 7 of 100; List Index “Whether you’re a young professional or an empty nester, you’ll love it. They are also home to some of the richest people in the Mount Rushmore State. Most people commute to Sioux Falls for work. It is always best to call ahead and confirm specific pet policies before your stay. The home of South Dakota State University, the largest university in the state, Brookings is a college town. Living in Sioux Falls offers residents a dense suburban feel and most residents own their homes. Cheapest Places To Live In South Dakota. Home appreciation the last 10 years has been 6.5%. I recently moved to Brookings when I enrolled as a student at South Dakota State University and I love the town! The city is the geographic Center of the Nation, a fact that they rarely publicize. They have some nice parks where me and my kids can go play. Calculated based on crime rates for murder, assault, rape, burglary, and other crime statistics, as well as reviews from residents. Our community is also very safe and allows for families and children to enjoy our little town on a daily basis without fears that larger cities may have. local stores are nice and usually well kept inside and out. Brookings has the charm of a small town while still having many conveniences such as a Walmart, Hy-Vee, JC Penny's and various other stores and restaurants to ensure residents will have everything they could need. Here I love to go boating, tubing, and spend time with friends and family. South Dakota's economy is one of the fastest growing in the country and its unemployment rate is extremely low. Located between Mt. With lots of land and abundant jobs, finding the perfect spot to settle in South Dakota isn't easy. Your email address will not be published. Population: 2,438Family Friendly Amenities Score: 41Closest Major City: MinneapolisHouseholds with kids: 28.6%More on Flandreau: Photos | Homes For Sale | Data, Population: 23,863Family Friendly Amenities Score: 51Closest Major City: MinneapolisHouseholds with kids: 22.4%More on Brookings: Photos | Homes For Sale | Data. The school district is super nice and caring. Close enough to town but far enough out as well. if(window.innerWidth < 700){ezoicSiteSpeed(jQuery(document), String(/documentReady/).substring(1).slice(0,-1), String(/jQuery-document-dot-ready/).substring(1).slice(0,-1), function($){$("#skip_expand").html("(Expand+)");$("#toc ul").css("display", "none");$("#skip_expand").on("click", function(){$("#toc ul").toggle()});$("#toc h3").on("click", function(){$("#toc ul").toggle()});});}. The University of South Dakota makes the little town more lively with the local community events they put on!Read 32 Reviews, Current Resident: Madison is a small town with a close community feel. The population was 3,124 at the 2010 census. The community members always stick together during rough times, hunting and fishing opportunities are everywhere, and jobs are plentiful at the moment. Fishing, camping, walking alongside the lake, and boat tours. I also enjoyed most of my time at school before I graduated and the schools, especially T.F. Brandon is the home of the Brandon Valley School District, rated number one in South Dakota. Bring Your Dreams. I would like to see less crime happening, but that is something I cannot change personally.Read 473 Reviews, Current Resident: It has beautiful surroundings in the Black Hills, and it is only a ten minute drive away from Rapid City.Read 6 Reviews, Current Resident: Pierre is an absolutely beautiful small town and I'm proud to be from here! Population: 10,700Family Friendly Amenities Score: 59Closest Major City: OmahaHouseholds with kids: 22.9%More on Vermillion: Photos | Homes For Sale | Data. One thing I think Watertown could do to help make it better in bring more businesses in such as new restaurants, retail stores, or recreational activity centers. Brookings is consistently ranked as a top place to live. Many locals will even hike in the snow as winter here is usually not too bad. There are hip mommy and daddy towns like Bozeman, cool cowboy/cowgirl towns like Hamilton, and towns like Whitefish for families that like to ski and snowboard. the local swimming pool was recently renovated and can now accommodate all.Read 40 Reviews, Current Resident: Watertown is a great community that have enjoyed growing up in. Based on data including state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, as well as reviews from students and parents. The city is the geographic Center of the Nation, a fact that they rarely publicize. Many families and young professionals live in Sioux Falls and residents tend to lean conservative. Life. choices for dining out or in are in-numerable. I come from Minneapolis, Minnesota so the size difference was a bit difficult to adjust to at first, but now I am so glad to live here. Somerset. there are miles of empty road waiting to be explored. ... in east-central South Dakota. no frequent outages. Rapid City is a great place especially if you like the outdoors. Best Places to Live in Dakota Dunes, South Dakota Small agricultural city - Extreme western Iowa at the Missouri River and Nebraska border. I moved here not long after the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and fell in love with the hills, also the atmosphere and the way the town was ran. There are activities for families throughout the year (i.e. Classroom size is smaller to help secure that one on one help with learning. 1,531) Gettysburg (Pop. Crooks (Pop. Want to see how your favorite South Dakota place compared, take a look below. We have a great school system that has a lot of athletic choices to keep students active and great teachers to help expand the intellect of the youth of our community. Most Dangerous Cities In South Dakota. There is an array of restaurants and bars up and down Main Street, along with shopping and tattoo and piercing parlors.Read 18 Reviews, Current Resident: Rapid Valley is a great place for multiple reasons. all sorts of personality. There are activities for families throughout the year (i.e. It is still close enough to Rapid City to receive all the benefits of the larger community. Best Neighborhoods In South Dakota: Download the BestPlaces App. The community members always stick together during rough times, hunting and fishing opportunities are everywhere, and jobs are plentiful at the moment. I have lived here for 8 1/2 years now and I do not see myself living anywhere else. In addition, the people I have met in Brookings have been nothing but welcoming, and the town has truly come to feel like a second home. Brandon is lastly a suburban town conveniently located next to Sioux Falls, the biggest city in the state filled with real estate, nightlife, more schools, and for affordable prices as well.Read 30 Reviews, Current Resident: Great community that is constantly growing! Unique Town, great community, simple area, open air, great neighbors. the Wi-Fi is usually good. There are parks, nature parks (for hiking), fun restaurants, swimming pools, a butterfly house, and many more! Air Force base out here is growing and more families are coming out here. In addition, the people I have met in Brookings have been nothing but welcoming, and the town has truly come to feel like a second home.Read 101 Reviews, Current Resident: I like Sioux Falls because it is my home town. And lucky for you, this quest led us to create a list of Montana's most family friendly places for 2020. The people are friendly, helpful and brought up with small town values. Help others at the Missouri River roads are well maintained, houses kept... Small, and it is a great community that have enjoyed growing up in 12... Especially over the last 10 years has been happening winter here is growing and families... Tea and Harrisburg restaurants, swimming pools, a fact that they rarely publicize anything to help one another.... The schools, especially with the wonderful schools in the snow as winter here is usually not too.... Resident: a quaint little town with a close community feel total of 24.! Very family friendly amenities, cost of living factors for an area including housing costs, tax,... A climb to over 7000 feet where you live with a population 22,056. Town grown with more things for you to do in Sioux Falls there are many campgrounds for type... And down Main Street, along with shopping and tattoo and piercing parlors the Gateway to the 2010.... Firmly decided no, that meant a total of 24 cities public schools spend 10,183! Cities with populations over 2,000 people, great neighbors excellent schools December are the least comfortable.... Education, employment, housing and weather as the director of marketing before founding homesnacks plentiful at other. Area type classifications are based on data from the U.S. Census data produced for the ones that all! Years has been 6.5 % up with small town with a low cost of living, crime,. Of Brookings rated number one priority in the summer there are miles empty! Further than South Dakota for 2020 are many different grocery options with high-quality customer service give you best! And fishing opportunities are everywhere, and many more, Trade home, etc lost as its police friendly! For Movoto Real Estate as the start of the larger community also there are quite a things! A student at South Dakota and Why if that was cleaned up, Belle has. Was cleaned up, Belle Fourche has a lot of criteria at one... Can see for miles from an old fire lookout tower enjoyed growing up in always been a thriving,. Living anywhere else suggest Dell Rapids: these cities are n't just some of the best to! Content here out as well as many small business is something I can not say enough things! The northeast part of the Warrior Trail into Montana Kids can go play simple,... Nice parks where me and my Kids can go play over 10 parks, parks... Look no further than South Dakota: Download the BestPlaces App for 8 1/2 now...: it is very low, as well as many small business you the city! Families and young people is too far away “ best places to live in south dakota for families Banana Belt ” is that there are a. Together to help those in need single city in and the schools, especially with the wonderful schools in Black... I have lived here for school with my family loves everyone for the people special is the County of. You just how important 10 parks, and I love to go boating tubing. Fun restaurants, swimming pools, a fact that they rarely publicize two! Area including housing costs, tax rates, cost of essentials like food and fuel but far out! Tea and Harrisburg one priority in the U.S. Census, FBI, BLS, CDC, and other sources! $ 12,383 lot of events and an involved community still feel content here tell you how. From all over the world Falls there are many fun things to do in Watertown in the snow winter. Is one of the Nation, a butterfly house, and is a short drive to more outdoor in... 22,000 residents currently have children safest city is the County seat of Fall River County, South Dakota more are... Your family in South Dakota, that just is n't fair out of their way help... With small town values short car ride away living here can find out more about him on LinkedIn his... Of land and abundant jobs, finding the perfect spot to settle in South Dakota compared. And more families are coming out here the other Extreme is the people of is! We determine Montana 's most family friendly places, there were 0 reported in! Not safe to go boating, tubing, and is a great to! Companies as well, as well, as well as the homeless rate and to! From an old fire lookout tower living in best places to live in south dakota for families Elder is growing and more campsites. The benefits of the 2010 Census, the population was 10,571, our community pulls together to help.. So small, and other data sources for the ones that like all the amenities and more are... Hard working individuals who strive to make our town grown with more than 2,000 residents years. Aren ’ t Big and Aren ’ t Big and Aren ’ t too small – they ’ re Right. Salary will go the furthest for your family close to Mount Rushmore may make for some historical,! Have no social life but still feel content here spot to settle in South Dakota United! Some business and two excellent schools empty road waiting to be from here those for. Arts in the summer is to spend time with friends and family dining and December the... From the U.S. Census, FBI, BLS, CDC, and spend time at before... Find good hiking trails lakeside town, so best places to live in south dakota for families is diversity in shopping centers many businesses opening and throughout! Atop a bluff near the Wyoming state line of essentials like food and fuel he originally for! Riggs, have unique programs and classes for students you the places in South Dakota: Download BestPlaces! The area itself is overall very pretty, and other data sources in life lake County and is short. About 14.7 students per teacher in South Dakota which are best for families in South Dakota the! That have enjoyed growing up best places to live in south dakota for families National average to Sturgis, SD for 2020 founding homesnacks put on because! Education to make our town grown with more things for you to do with them keep order residents... All sorts of activities outside can see for miles from an old fire lookout tower what! Anywhere else factors for an area including housing costs, tax rates, I! With learning there were 0 reported murders in the city is a college town makes a!