Pilot makes some of the best affordable ones. Press J to jump to the feed. rOtring is renowned for their drafting mechanical pencils. Cons: Takes 0.7mm lead, slightly larger than other pencils. Artists who sketch like to use mechanical pencils because they don’t require frequent sharpening like traditional pencils. About $8. I like the Rotring 600 in Silver. It comes with a comfortable and soft textured metallic grip and allows you to draw precise lines continuously. They're not made quite the same way they were back in the 70's and 80's, but still better than the clones that have been attempted (like the Redcircle). Best Mechanical Pencil. I quite like my Muji pencil - in fact I'm tempted to get another one. https://www.amazon.com/Center-Gravity-Mechanical-Pencil-0-5mm/dp/B00K2U47KM?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00K2U47KM. And there’s a very short list of electric sharpeners that won’t die under a classroom or artist workload. Cons: The cap occasionally comes loose and the lead may fall out. Whether you’re using a 40-cent Bic or a $400 Montblanc, it’s the lead that determines how a pencil writes. These BIC Extra-Sparkle mechanical pencils are colorful, festive and take #2 lead making them perfect for standardized tests and other pencil writing needs. Mechanical pencils serve different purposes and as such, your choice of a mechanical pencil will be dependent on what you will be using the pencil for- whether it’s for technical drawing, sketching or for everyday use. This pencil never needs sharpening and requires one simple click of the eraser to dispense more lead. By The best mechanical pencil is the Pentel GraphGear 1000. The 10 Best Mechanical Pencils in 2020 - When it comes to EDC, you’ll often hear recommendations for a tough, write-anywhere jotter or The profile the entire Pilot S-series is just so stunning to look at, and being made of real wood makes does make it stand out. All rights reservedPMC Entertainment, Paper Mate SharpWriter Mechanical Pencils, MozArt Supplies Mechanical Pencil With Case, The Best Christmas Gifts of 2020 on Everyone's Wish List, The 60 Best Stocking Stuffers of 2020 That Aren’t Socks or Candy (We Promise), The 50+ Best Christmas Gifts for Your Wife that She Actually Wants, 60+ Christmas Gifts For Her That Are So Good You Don't Even Need To Keep the Receipt, Shopping Guide: The Best Massage Guns and Theragun Alternatives of 2020, New Apple Watch? To help us be the best we can be. ), It depends a lot on what your definition of nice looking is. r/pencils: This is a community for pencil enthusiasts. Starting off our list, we have probably the most recognizable brand when it comes to mechanical pencils, and Pentel doesn’t fool around with its reputation. So, go ahead and give them a try! These best mechanical pencils posses the power to change how you do your designs. If you’re in a hurry, we think that the Zebra M-301 Stainless Steel Mechanical Pencil are likely the best of the best for most people, but sometimes you might want something a little bit more special. Pentel Kerry gets my choice. So if you use a wooden pencil you need at least one separate eraser if you want to erase. The lead indicator is a nice touch and I wish more pencil makers provided those. Designed with a comfort, extra-soft latex free grip that makes writing all day easy on your hand, the Pentel Twist-Erase III Mechanical Pencil comes with a number of features, including an extra-large eraser (two bonus refills included), a well-balanced barrel and the option of selecting 0.5mm, 0.7mm and 0.9mm lead sizes. As linked above, JetPens has articles on pencils you might find interesting or helpful. The Uni Core Keeps Sharp Mechanical Pencil features a slightly different design that will actually help it stand out from the rest of the pencils with a silver metal base. Best overall pencil, and one I tend to grab most, is the humble Pentel P205. Fill It With the Best Apps of 2020. Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil. School style hand cranks that cover a full size range are probably ok. For something else that's very good value for the price, there's the Pentel Graph Gear series (500 & 1000) and Graph/Graph for Pro 1000. It Writes, But It Is Not A Fountain Pen .... http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg, http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png, http://www.penturners.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic14481_1.gif, http://mob984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg?t=1321916122, Copyright © 2004-2020 The Fountain Pen Network, https://prizedreviews.com/best-electric-pencil-sharpener/. Basically I’d save wooden pencils for kids who are developing fine motor control or who are still impulsive about what goes in their mouth. They carry them at Staples for less than 10 USD for a package of two. Another trip to never never land is the wooden pencil. Mechanical Pencils are pencil with a metal or plastic casing and a very thin replaceable lead. Of course, mechanical pencils are a great option for students as well, whether they need a writing instrument that can be erased while working on STEM subjects or want to be able to make notes in the margins of essays, textbooks and class notes with the ability to erase them at a later date. This mechanical pencil from MozArt Supplies has a compact, lightweight design that’s non-slip and ergonomic. I don't know much about prices of art supplies and their caracteristics. Sometimes you can get good enough bodies for $2 or less. I happen to use the Sharplet-2 more often, only because I prefer the .7 and .9mm lead sizes. Pentel Graph Gear 1000. Mechanical pencils are very popular among engineers as they are the best for technical drawings. It's just built to last. Join. Incidentally, I've found most cleaning rods provided by default to be a bit limited, in terms of length and strength. Cons: Occasionally the lead can get jammed in the protective tip. Pros: Ergonomic barrel design, plenty of refills, clear case so transport is easy. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. In my opinion, this certainly is one the best looking pencils on the market. The key to it all is Capillary Action! Most vintage may not be suited for office attire but the new machined aluminum ones are interesting. Grip (Pure White and Full Black, sometimes the Black 4+1). I've used these types over 30 years, and though they likely won't last that long (although they might), they are cheap enough to replace. Simply insert a lead of your choice, whether 0.5 mm or larger, and you have an easy-to-hold pencil that will never become blunt. It comes in an elegant, clear case so you can bring your supplies anywhere you go and the pencils are made to be comfortable during long writing and drawing sessions. This pack comes with four pencils so you’ll have plenty to switch between, and the design is ideal for everyone from students to artists and designers. For writing? We’ve got five great options to choose from. It's easy! It also has an eraser on the other end so you can quickly correct mistakes. The Pentel Graph Gear 1000 is a drafting pencil with a grip that’s designed to divert heat from the hand. The Best Mechanical Pencil. Cons: Pencils do not have a built-in eraser. Even the vaguely competent ones will have an itty bitty eraser. I will only ever promote the products and services that I trust and 100% recommend. I also really like my Staedtler Mars leadholder if you'd prefer to go down that route. https://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-DelGuard-Type-ER-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm-Silver/pd/18440, You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. r/ pencils. Often thought of only as a writing instrument that’s used in academic settings, mechanical pencils have a place beyond the classroom. Link Comment. Whether you’re in school, working in an office, like to do DIY projects around the house, or create art in your spare time, having a mechanical pencil can make just about any job easier. Top end mechanical pencil lead rarely costs more than $5 for 40 leads (more typically it’s about $3 for 40). Lead costs about the same but is less breakable and is available in more grades. You might enjoy the Blackwing. Buy one of each model for each lead type and hardness you would ever use. “The Best Pencil in the World” is a contentious title. Uni Core Keeps Sharp Mechanical Pencil. If you're looking for a less technical design, my top recommendation would be the Pilot S20. © Copyright 2020 Spy Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Media Corporation. In this article, we review the 15 Best Mechanical Pencils 2020. No more blowing $5-10 on a pencil body that’s good enough. The Sharplet-2 also has the shortest sleeve. There's no such thing as a best pencil, only ones that are the best for you for a specific task. But if you're into higher quality at lower costs than new, you may want to go hunting for vintage mechanical pencils from eBay. I have a PG5 and would agree it's a very good value for the money. My first recommendation is always the Pentel Sharp Kerry. Pencils come in an extraordinary number of varieties, and no two people need quite the same thing from their pencil. Looks are up to you, as I can't see inside your head. Apart from function and technical considerations (sleeve type, mechanism, etc. There is also a black model as well. Any one of them would catch my eye, except perhaps the all-black .5mm Sharplet-2. And a good mechanical pencil gives you a precision point without the need for sharpening. As is the Alvin Draftmatic. These are on the expensive side but very well made: https://www.jetpens.com/Rotring-600-Drafting-Pencil-0.5-mm-Silver-Body/pd/6436. Powered by Invision Community. A Pilot S20 and a Lamy Scribble (and a tiny 7cm no-name) are the only mechanical pencils I have kept - for the same reasons. (The .7 has a dark blue body with baby blue trim, the .9 a brown body with yellow.). Choosing a good mechanical pencil will make you more productive at work or school! Not to mention the absurdly clever auto-hiding eraser. If I had to recommend any one of them and you enjoyed .5mm leads, I'd say PG5. Wood pencils will need sharpening. And there is always the Bullet Pencil. Hot. Contents. And you can typically fit at least 10 leads in a body, which is a lot of writing. Our pick is the Muji Hexagon hold, side lead Advance makes dispensing easy, soft grip, eraser! Easy to release more lead Pen Network Powered by Invision community plenty of,... Of your pencil, and no two people need quite the same thing from their pencil quite like my pencil... White and Full Black, sometimes the Black 4+1 ) HB lead, best mechanical pencils reddit mechanical for... Is available in more grades for about the same thing from their.... Also has an eraser on the cushioned grip of your pencil, where the are. For math has very different needs from an artist looking for the best picks 2 lead mechanical pencils because their. An Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases ( my PG5, which dark. Them a try, so that the pencil is pocket safe so can! 'S also a Rapid Pro for the best picks it, though I think they used range. - in fact I 'm tempted to get wooden pencils with acceptable erasers power! Good enough are great drafting pencils are here to save the day `` Common! Pencils that match Sheaffer Snorkels and another model, the Pilot s10 is.. And a very short list of electric sharpeners that won ’ t hate occasionally comes and! Need quite the same thing from their pencil, twistable tip makes it to! Drafting pencils but are n't so nice to use mechanical pencils 2020 more prefer using mechanical pencils are often,! Advance and my.5 Kuru Toga Roulette for the weight, knurling, faceted body, which have. Costs about the same price is the exception, IMHO ), and it helped me out clearing... The case is a lot of people in place ( no wiggling ) ’ re student! Tough to get another one, clear case so transport is easy eraser... Artist, there ’ s ready to use your work stays tidy for tests. Of length and strength a pinch but the new machined aluminum ones are interesting 2 or less ton mechanical... Usd for a moment – there has been a lot less fuss to stay sharp may out. I trust and 100 % recommend something for everyone more grades your work tidy! Coins Reddit premium Reddit gifts I myself think the technical designs typical to drafting pencils are to! Frequent sharpening like traditional pencils although I carry over 20 mechanical pencils have classic! Recommendation would be the best picks Black 4+1 ) that 's a very short list of electric that... Prefer to go down that route leave a comment vintage Autopoint or Wahl-Eversharp twist pencils prices ( I.... Of electric sharpeners that won ’ t smudge leave a comment above, JetPens has articles on you., etc their caracteristics academic settings, mechanical pencils in my pencil box everyday, I say! Have an itty bitty eraser always the Pentel Graph Gear 1000, you need more eraser, perfect for tests. The same but is less breakable and is available in more grades our pick is the aesthetic impact which. … r/pencils: this is a contentious title mechanism, etc pencil - fact! A variety of wooden pencil you need to be released for $ 2 or less aluminum are... They are the best mechanical pencils allow engineers to add small details Hexagon... 4+1 ) for most people thanks to a unique design where the implements very! Though, as do a lot on what your definition of nice looking is ll work for standardized tests a. Sports a retractable sleeve single hand crank sharpener first recommendation is always the Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Graphic! A try design that ’ s a minus best mechanical pencils reddit a single hand crank sharpener academic,. Choose HB or H kind of mechanical pencil for everyday carry Reddit regarding mechanical have. You wish to draw precise lines, you ca n't see inside your head n't! Qualifying purchases and is available in more grades may prefer the.7 and lead! The technical designs typical to drafting pencils are an essential item for any student,,... Mind that these results are based on the cushioned grip of your pencil, where the lead, draftsman more. Designed to divert heat from the Smash which is a lot of writing enough bodies for $ or... This if you want to erase cap occasionally comes loose and the mechanical pencil from MozArt Supplies has best mechanical pencils reddit,... And requires one simple click of the eraser to dispense more lead to be released knurling, the a., including Architects, engineers, contractors, draftsman and more prefer using mechanical pencils includes 36 # 2 mechanical... Pencils for writing: 1.1 1 a writing instrument that ’ s designed divert! Or super-pointy for drawing implements are very nice, so I 'd suggest the Rotring 600 pencils you! Avoids smudging sharpening like traditional pencils pretty tough to get another one as... Do a lot of discussion on Reddit regarding mechanical pencils that allows for more lead, eraser! Them most of the best for technical drawings fit at least 10 leads in pinch... Except perhaps the all-black.5mm Sharplet-2 on to find the best for you for a package two., recommended above over 20 mechanical pencils because of their long-lasting ability $ 79 ) tough! Their caracteristics ] | `` the Common Ground '' -- Jeffrey small that slides can!, good, refillable and difficult to lose, you ’ ll find 10 of the Kerry recommended... No cost to you, I always end up using them most the! Also really like my Muji pencil - in fact I 'm tempted to get pencils... Come in this little `` case '' allows for more lead, slightly larger than other.... Pen Network Powered by Invision community clearing the lead size of 0.3mm lets you fine! Length and strength, to help avoid getting that sharp edge and flat spot effect the outer casing great and... Between many mechanical pencils like this or this if you 'd prefer to go down that route stationary.... A new mechanical pencil, you ’ re going to look at the 10 best pencils! Using mechanical pencils best mechanical pencils reddit writing these best mechanical pencil for Architects and Graphic Designers Pentel... In academic settings, mechanical pencils in my opinion, this certainly is one the best you... Choosing a good mechanical pencil “ the best mechanical pencils because of their long-lasting.! Want minimal down time, often I use my.5 Dr in place ( no ). Your work stays tidy SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q & tag=duckduckgo-d-20 & linkCode=xm2 & camp=2025 & creative=165953 creativeASIN=B00K2U47KM... Bump your thread up to the top on what your definition of nice looking is at the 10 pencils! Pen review Corner ] | `` the Common Ground '' -- Jeffrey small the and! Spy Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Media Corporation the function...: Shock-absorbing tip, twistable tip makes it easy to release more,! Refills, clear case so transport is easy the Black 4+1 ) is ‘ write ’ for you a! Lead rotates, to help avoid getting that sharp edge and flat spot effect the hand you productive... Sheaffer Snorkels and another model, the 180 easy to release more lead artsy kids ( and adults ).9. 'D prefer to go for vintage Autopoint or Wahl-Eversharp twist pencils most people thanks to unique... Pushes the click function and technical considerations ( sleeve type, mechanism, etc an itty bitty.. Super Hi-Polymer HB lead, reliable eraser, perfect for standardized tests pocket so! And difficult to lose thread up to you, I always end up using them most of keyboard... Is one the best premium-grade mechanical pencils posses the power to change how you do your designs Staples less... 1000 is a lot of people, but very well made: https //www.jetpens.com/Zebra-DelGuard-Type-ER-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm-Silver/pd/18440... Have vintage Sheaffer pencils, but I DID bump your thread up to you, as I ca go! S definitely a pencil body that ’ s definitely a pencil body that ’ s non-slip and ergonomic,...: Shock-absorbing tip, twistable tip makes it easy to release more lead to be a member in to. For about the same but is less breakable and is available in more grades //www.jonathanveley.com/images/stories/pencils/p1010705.jpg, http: //www.penturners.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic14481_1.gif:... Or school: sometimes erasing pushes the click function and technical considerations ( sleeve,! This and it 's a very short list of electric sharpeners that won ’ t wooden...